1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Biggest Impact in Round 1 is on the Defensive Side of the Ball

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CowboyMcCoy, Apr 26, 2012.

1. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Sure, it's a generalization.

But doesn't it stand to reason that if we have just one more formidable pass rusher that it makes our other LB and DL guys like Ware, Ratliff that much better?

I think we can really have an outstanding team and defense if we just add another guy to get after the QB in the backfield, maybe someone to take the double teams off Ware.

I don't think we draft offense in the first 2 rounds.... Just a hunch, though.
  2. mschmidt64

mschmidt64 Member

681 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think the complete opposite.

The biggest difference that you could possibly experience with this team is if it solidifies the interior of the OL (and by that I mean, actually upgrading and not just swapping out one journeyman in Holland for another in Livings).

The offense would take off. Every skill position player would all of a sudden look better.
  3. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Hey, I see the logic in this too.
  4. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,747 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    I think Decastro will make a bigger difference and he will be here the next 10 years.
  5. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    So you don't think a guy like Cox or Coples would help us out in a similar way on the other side of the ball?
  6. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,747 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    I like Cox but he wont be there @ 14.Coples is too much of a risk and i dont think he is on our radar.
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Without question the biggest pass defense is the biggest issue on this team. We would have had the NFC East sewn up by Week 14 if we just had a pass defense that could hold the Giants to under 37 points at home.

I really don't think people realize how bad Brodney Poole is. Picture Alan Ball Pt 2, except more injury prone. People have fits and froth at the mouth and act like it was a crime against humanity that we went one year playing an unheralded player at center, but yet never beat an eyelash or even so as much shrug their shoulders about FS after a decade of Marcus Coleman, Willie Pyle, Keith Davis, Alan Ball, Abe Elam and Brodney Poole. For the life of me, I'll never understand it.
  8. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,743 Messages
    257 Likes Received
    Our horrid safety play never got our QB killed
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yeah they do, because our QB has to drop back every game for 50 times and sling it all over the field to keep his team competitive in the game because our pass defense is so atrocious. Drew Brees has been beat up all to hell for the past 2 years playing behind "the best guards in the game" for the same reason. You guys think we just put 5 Pro Bowlers on the OL and Tony Romo never gets hit are kidding yourselves. Defensive coordiators will just bring more guys than you can block. They're not going to just sit back and let Tony Romo sit in the pocket all day and pick apart their defense.

If you want to see the effect of what a great defense can do for a QB, look at Alex Smith last year with the Niners. Everyone act like he had some career rejuvenation under Harbaugh, he's the same guy he's always been except he was paired with a dominating defense. He only had to make 5 critical throws a game for his team to win, Tony has to make 15-20. You guys condone putting Tony Romo in a situation where putting up a 140 QB rating in an NFC East clinching game in December isn't good enough becuase his defense can't hold an opponent under 37 points. I really don't know what Tony Romo did to you guys to make you hate him so much.
  10. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,743 Messages
    257 Likes Received
    We can keep doing this,..

If we had a line the could sustain drives our horrible safeties would not be on the field to give up points and Romo would have to drop back less taking less shots
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    We were 4th in the NFL in passer effieciency. We had no problem sustaining drives.

The facts are out there and undeniable, they'll just continue to be be ignored by people who completely place absolutely no value in defense. These same idiots will be wondering how we got beat in December when our QB puts up another 140 QB game or how we blew another historic lead in the 4th quarter. We were historically bad on pass defense. This isn't hyperbole, we actually broke NFL records on how bad our defense was. Literally historically bad, and people are still okay starting Brodney Poole at FS. The denial is mind boggling.
  12. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,743 Messages
    257 Likes Received

if we could score more then 4 rushing TDs in a season those losses in december wouldn't matter

But let's be "smart" like you and ignore interior OL cause we can win with D and Alex Smith if we draft all defense and hit on EVERY single draft pick this draft

If you're ok with starting Costa at C then you are not allowed to say that anyone is in denial :laugh2:
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The Green Bay Packers got 7 TDs from all of their RBs combined and had one of the greatest offenses in the history of the game. The Vikings were in the Top 3 of the NFL in rushing TDs and their offense was complete garbage.

Why do people still desperately cling to rushing TDs when it's an utterly useless stat in correlation to winning?
  14. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,743 Messages
    257 Likes Received
    Our inability to score in the redzone is anything but irrelevant for why we don't win more, but keep spinning it your way you're obviously smarter then everyone else so i'll get out of your way.
  15. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    We were among the Top 5 teams in the NFL in passing TDs. We had two WRs in the Top 6 in receiving TDs. We were fine scoring, it's just that we were throwing automatic pylon fades to Dez rather than slamming a RB into the teeth of a 9 man goalline front. Red zone efficiency is essentially a myth and an outdated concept. Because red zone success is primarily fluky, and typically judged on short samples. The only thing that matter is how a team's offense is overall. I'll start worrying about a lack of rushing TDs when the NFL starts awarding more points for them than passing TDs.
  16. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    You could have had Tebow for a 4th round pick. Then you can run the single wing on the goal line and get as many rushing TDs as you want. A running qb will cause more rushing tds than a guard because you outnumber the defense.
  17. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Just wondering guys... did we get an impact player? Boy was I wrong about us getting Cox, but we got close enough.

I'm a bit sad about not being in the 2nd round, but we did ok and should be able to get back on track in the 3rd at least.
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yeah, I guess people forgot we the Cowboys gave up the second most passing yards in team history in 2011, one year after setting a club record for passing touchdowns allowed. Or that we gave up 3 4th quarter leads of 12 or more points, after only giving up 2 in the franchises previous 40 years combined.

Would not expect that to happen next year.
  19. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Yes, and don't forget the grocery store clerk who adds more mystery to the pick.

:laugh1: