1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Biggest issue

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Nov 9, 2012.

1. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,452 Messages
    1,450 Likes Received
    Ok the consensus is Jerry is the problem because he picks the players this and that?

BUT, Dallas is 5th in defense and 6th in offense. So clearly he is picking the right players. Theres plenty of talent on this team if the team is statistically getting it done.

But the errors are there. So wouldnt anybody with common sense see that the problem is coaching?

I read the same bull about Jerry handicapping this team because he's failed to get certain players blah blah blah.

If you wanna bag on Jerry and his GM duties wouldnt it make more sense to bag on him for not firing Garrett instead of bagging on him for not putting a product on the field that doesnt have talent.

This team has the players to beat any team in the nfl soundly. But what they dont have is a coach to lead them.

This is my one gripe about Jerry, Keeping Garrett. I love the makeup of this team playerswise.
  2. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,406 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    Interesting double negative.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,878 Messages
    4,696 Likes Received
    We're not losing because of the HC, directly. We're losing because of the turnovers. And because we've been playing high-level competitors.

It's really not rocket surgery. We just can't turn it over and win. We don't even need to score more points if we can keep from shooting ourselves in the feet.
  4. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,207 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Okay, so how do they correct the turnover problem?
  5. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,522 Messages
    789 Likes Received
    You are right. There is talent on this team.

Where you are wrong is that they only have a handful of talented players and the rest are just hardworking, average joes who give effort but, in the end, are incapable of making positive game changing plays.
  6. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,836 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Trickle down effect from the interior oline. Should have let Spencer walk and signed one of the FA OG's last offseason.
  7. Idgit

28,878 Messages
    4,696 Likes Received
    Man, I wish I knew for sure. Stop throwing to Dez if he can't make his sight adjustments. Develop a WR who'll be in the right place all the time, or move Miles outside to bring Harris or Bailey in. Throw to the TEs more. Or to Murray out of the backfield when he's back. Get Costa back so you have a C who can block to the second level and not be in 3rd and forevers. Stop putting the ball in Felix's hands. Stay out of catchup situations by not turning the ball over so much :).

On defense, I have no idea why we don't get more TOs. Better S play, maybe. Our pass rush is pretty good; we've got ILBs who can cover and pickup players coming into the flats. We tip balls. Ware's a sack-fumble machine. I *think* if our O ever gave us a two-score advantage, we'd see a more opportunistic defense, but it's hard to say.

At the end of the day, it does all come back to coaching. I just think it's the sort of problem that's isolated and that a staff *should* be able to iron out by emphasizing it enough, eventually. It's not a baby-with-the-bathwater problem. Fish the turd out of the tub, and the baby might just be ok.
  8. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,677 Messages
    2,410 Likes Received
    Totally agree, LM. Jerry is a problem, no doubt. His focus on all the sideshows is irritating. It's far from the ideal setup.

But some people want to blame him for everything that goes wrong on the field when he isn't causing those problems at all.

Funny how that wasn't true in the Wade years. Like I've said, I bet Jerry misses having a HC that takes all the heat.
  9. nyc-cowboy

nyc-cowboy Member

523 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Can I bag him for both?
  10. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

3,952 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    the team has become far too comfortable with losing, especially close games. both the players and the coaches bear responsibility for this.
  11. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,065 Messages
    260 Likes Received
    So the coach is supposed to run routes, throw the ball, and catch it? Execution is clearly the issue these guys are vets not rookies...
  12. alsmith

alsmith Member

296 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Felix has loss two games this year alone, not to think Dez running the wrong routes and the biggest Problem at WR is Otree 85 he has had 2 or 3 balls to bounce off him for INT in key plays, will he ever learn to catch the D ball,,

These players has loss 3-4 games this year, when is the last time a WR made a big play, or a game winning TD catch, and I hate to bring up the missed FG for the win, that one I'm OK with, can't hit them all..

This team could EZ be 6-2 or at worse 5-3 right now, but
    One thing that I have learn is that you can't fix stupid and that is the mistakes that these players are making, just stupid mistakes and it's costing them games, it hard to win in the NFL by beating yourself..
  13. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,207 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Okay. Multi-cause problem. I think you're probably right. Most problems are.

I will say this: if the Cowboys could run the ball more effectively, they could probably then pass more effectively. Teams wouldn't just be sitting back playing coverage all day. So we do need to improve the running game, and hopefully if we get Costa and Murray back sometime this year, that will happen.

I do think, though, that the other half of the problem is a coaching issue, and I think I've illustrated my reasoning for that in several other threads.
  14. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,207 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    You're right. The players aren't executing. So now what? Should everyone just continue doing what they're doing and hope/wait for the situation to change?

Or, should the coaches DO something about it?
  15. Idgit

28,878 Messages
    4,696 Likes Received
    To be clear, this is all on the coach. Turnovers are correctable, and if they're not for a particular player, then the player needs to go. TOs's are too important.

In Garrett's case, I do think he made a point of emphasizing the issue. I know for a fact he did, because the team talked about it all offseason. It didn't work. Part of that is that I think Dez is probably a coach-killer. Part of it is they bet a WR3 would develop and one did not. Most of it, I think, is that we modified the offense to take more advantage of Murray and get Tony in more manageable situations, and it failed. Losing both starting OGs in camp, losing two C's in camp, and then losing Costa for much of the regular season with Murray and Felix taking time getting dinged: there's been zero opportunity for consistency. As a result, we had to lean back on the passing game, only this time with a hole in the lineup and with all the early chaos in the middle of the OL. Add to it that the difficult part of our schedule was comically front-loaded, and you have a team that's pretty good, but just not good enough to beat better teams.

I'll bet we cut down on the TOs here in Nov. And when Murray/Costa are back, we'll get our first glimpse what this offense is really supposed to be. It'll open things up for Romo, and we'll score more because it will be easier to be efficient. It just might be too late if the Giants don't help us by spitting the bit now that their schedule gets tight.
  16. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,779 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    I totally agree with the OP, yes we've had penalties, turnovers and mistakes but a semi competent coach would've won both the Ravens and Giants games. All of a sudden we are sitting here at 5-3 in first place with a sweep of the Giants.

Coaching matters, I can't for the life of me understand why the Dallas Cowboys can have such a bad coach. Garrett is awful, it seems as if every important decision he makes is the exact opposite of what logic would say you should do. Like last week not challenging the spot on the Beasley catch and then calling a 3rd and 1 run on a jumbo package, a play that has not worked all season.

I understand the people who say continuity is good and that firing coaches every two years is not a good strategy, I agree, but it isn't a good strategy because Jerry hires guys like Campo, Gailey, Wade and Garrett.

This offseason there will be coaches like Cowher, Chucky, Holmgren, probably Reid and Payton, each and every one of those coaches is worth at least 2 more wins over what we have now.

I really don't get how Jerry can underestimate the importance of the coaching position. Just hire a good coach for ***** sake.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,205 Messages
    1,936 Likes Received
    Right now Dallas is on pace to turn the ball over more than they have since 2000.

Right now they are on pace to have more penalties than they have since at least 2003.

Decade highs right now in penalties and turnovers.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    measuring competency of either an offense or defense by yards is a seriously flawed premise to begin with

Look at points on the board. Now where is Dallas ranked?

That is a much more realistic way of looking at things
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,391 Messages
    6,394 Likes Received
    My theory on the offense and why it always seems to get a lot of yards and not near enough points over recent years is the head coach knows a little bit about offensive design and the QB can play a little.

But then they get down into the red zone. The field shrinks. The line of scrimmage gets crowded and our weaknesses get exposed.
  20. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    What is "rocket surgery" anyway?

I agree with the OP, we have the talent, but the same stupid mistakes, the sloppy play, the dumb penalties, the turnovers, etc.. that is coaching. No doubt about it.