1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bill Callahan's WCO (it's Jon Gruden's in reality)

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bluestang, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    Jon Gruden's playbook was the one that Callahan used in his time with the Raiders. There is no "Bill Callahan" offense per se but it was all Gruden's WCO.

I browsed through a minicamp playbook from the 1998 Oakland Raiders and the terminology is completely different from the Coryell offense. There is no practical way to implement that offense without having the players learn the terminology. While it may be easy for the wide receivers, the OL will have to learn two new sets of protection calls which again is pretty impractical. The only way I can see it work is if Callahan actually translates one play at a time and converts into Coryell terminology. That is entirely way too much work on one person to do by themselves and if the protection schemes are different in any way, well now Callahan is "making up" new terminology.

WCO's do not use a numbering system to designate routes but instead use the actual word like "dig, corner, go...etc" so it would be pretty easy for the WRs to pick it up, however, some of the playcalls are incredibly lengthy. This presents a problem for Romo having to digest this and the Coryell while relaying the plays on the field.

For example:

HARVEY FAR WEST RIGHT ZOOM 200 JET HAMMER is play from a 3WR set that attacks the seams with TE and slot WR while the outside corners running stop routes or fade routes on cloud coverage (cover 3).

Callahan should be able to use the most basic plays in Gruden's scheme and find something in the Coryell book that has the same attacking concept. All playbooks have the same principles when attacking the defense (man or zone) The differences are how they do it in the formations.

Something else to consider is that with Callahan calling plays it gives a new "set of eyes" to look at the Coryell scheme and figure out the strong suits of it with our current personnel/future personnel.

Sometimes when you do something a certain way for a long time you can get complacent with it. I've had that happen to me a few times in my job and I'm always open to learning a new method of doing things.

Hope this clears up some confusion.
  2. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,549 Messages
    1,132 Likes Received
    That was awesome. I love reading stuff like that. Overall, what is the philosophy of the offense? Where does it like to attack the defense?

I read where Chip Kelly's offensive play calls are one word in order to run his plays in 13 seconds (at Oregon).

Thanks for posting that. I learned something new about football today.
  3. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,294 Messages
    1,280 Likes Received
    Tim Brown just said on the radio (discussing the Super Bowl game controversy from years back of the Raiders vs Bucs) that Callahan was the biggest offensive genius he had ever been around and that it should be a great move for the Cowboys to have him calling plays, provided Romo can handle coming to the line with 4 plays in mind.
  4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    There was several directions that Dallas could have went with the OC. Callahan was at the bottom of my long list. I have never thought that he is a good fit for the Cowboys on any level.
  5. Bluestang

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    Gruden used his WCO to move Tim Brown all over the formation. There was even a section that was written for him to make it idiot proof so he would know where to line up on any play call. Also many of the plays have 4 different audibles with different concepts. I'm pretty sure that was what Tim referred to with the 4 plays comment.

The one word calls are part of his hurry-up packages. It makes is incredibly easy for all of the offense to be on the same page with those calls.

Here's a vid to get you started on Kelly's scheme at Oregon:
    [youtube]ekf3RGWwqMQ[/youtube]
  6. Bluestang

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    It's a great concept on paper, but I really have doubts that we are switching to the WCO scheme.

We may see a few plays here and there but my in my OP I expressed my doubts about making a full switch.
  7. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Bluestang, nice video.

That was interesting overview of the Oregon Offense.
  8. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,845 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    This is what I mean by an offensive scheme that puts the players in positions to make plays. The Oregon offense manipulates and dictates to the defense, creating running lanes and space for receivers. Garrett's offense just doesn't. Garrett's offense is a personnel offense. It requires a great OL, a great QB and great skill guys who beat you in large part because they're better. The best offenses in the NFL create opportunities for great players. Dallas needs a lot of work on both ends.
  9. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,022 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Yep. It relies too much on winning a 1 on 1 battle. The play itself is never going to win part of the battle for you.
  10. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,029 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    I don't suspect we're changing systems. I would think there were some changes implemented when Callahan was hired as OC. And there will be some changes that naturally occur from season to season, like with most teams. But this is just about changing who calls plays within the system that already exists, not changing systems.
  11. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,995 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    The traditional WCO is dead, with more and more Shotgun and Singleback sets being used. I agree, I don't see us completely switching the offense and core, maybe just some things like more zone blocking on runs and hopefully, better situational calls.

One thing to remember is that Callahan WAS the offensive coordinator last year, he just didn't call the plays. He helped with the gameplan and knows the overall philosophy of what Garrett wants.
  12. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,523 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Honestly, I think a fair amount of this is Jerry Hedging his bets. Based on his comments at the Senior Bowl, He needs someone between Garrett and Romo in order to feel comfortable canning him.

If all of these changes work out, then everything will be great. If not, you have a staff custom made for Jon Gruden or Lovie Smith to step right in and run with next year and the offense, particularly Romo, will have the seemless transition that Jerry feels is necessary to cut ties with Garrett.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,612 Messages
    5,771 Likes Received
    Some of the OL talked about Callahan adding terminology in training camp last year.

As far as converting the actual playbook, he will have help. He probably has a lot of help from other coaches and in terms of administrative assistance.
  14. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,205 Messages
    680 Likes Received
    Indeed.i think its the same offense with callahan calling plays.
  15. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,011 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have this strange feeling that there were many times Callahan was on that sideline like,"why are we running this RIGHT NOW?" I also am a proponent of him being in the booth calling the plays and not on the sidelines. Just a much better view of the entirety of the action