1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Bill Parcells: Perception of Jerry Jones is distorted; Enjoyed time in Dallas

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 17, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,658 Messages
    6,398 Likes Received
    Posted by Josh Alper on July 17, 2013, 7:38 AM EDT

One of Jones’ former sparring partners disagrees with that take. Bill Parcells said that the image of Jones is “distorted” and that Jones is a “good listener” who will adjust his own decisions and opinions if your arguments make sense. And he said that Jones’ habit of sticking his nose into every decision was something that drew him to the job because he didn’t want to work for an owner who was blasé about running the team.

“But Jerry isn’t like that. You want to be somewhere where it’s important to the people and certainly it’s a high-profile franchise without question,” Parcells said, via the team’s website. “I just felt like those are the kinds of things I look forward to. I was trying to do something at a place like that. I like them. I think they’re a good group. I think they’re passionate. I think they’re trying to be successful in the business. Hey, that’s all a coach can ask for.”

Read the rest: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...cells-perception-of-jerry-jones-is-distorted/
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,658 Messages
    6,398 Likes Received
    Parcells Enjoyed Time In Dallas; Still Admires Jones’ Passion
    Posted 14 hours ago

[IMG] Nick Eatman DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Parcells coached the Cowboys from 2003-06, putting them in the playoffs twice with three winning records. Although he decided to stop coaching the team in 2006, Parcells said he remains friends with the Cowboys’ owner to this day.

“I liked my experience there,” Parcells said. “It didn’t turn out perfect from a record-standpoint. I understand all of that. But I learned a lot and I enjoyed working there.

“Jerry and I are pretty good friends. I don’t know whether or not people know that. We talk a little bit. I wouldn’t say frequently. We talk a little bit. We talked recently. It’s good. And I’m close with Stephen [Jones], too. I enjoyed working there with the Joneses. They were supportive and tried to help.”

One of things Jerry gets criticized for the most is the way he apparently dabbles into the Cowboys’ every-day business, although as the general manager, it is certainly within his job description. Jerry is a hands-on owner and GM but according to Parcells, that passion is what drew him to the Cowboys job in the first place.

“We had some mutual friends. I was very close with Al Davis and I know Jerry was, too,” Parcells recalled. “I had a little background information from Al – not about working for the Cowboys, just about what they were trying to do. I knew he had a lot of passion for his work and his job and his organization. I could name a few organizations I don’t feel that about. The owner is just blasé about ‘if we win we win, good; if we don’t, that’s all right.’

“But Jerry isn’t like that. You want to be somewhere where it’s important to the people and certainly it’s a high-profile franchise without question. I just felt like those are the kinds of things I look forward to. I was trying to do something at a place like that. I like them. I think they’re a good group. I think they’re passionate. I think they’re trying to be successful in the business. Hey, that’s all a coach can ask for.”

More: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...assion--/716aed55-43c1-4a4a-ba0c-b616e68b07a9
  3. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,674 Messages
    4,944 Likes Received
    Why is it that the only common thread in compliments coaches (even former players too) can say about Jerry Jones is that they "love his passion" and "he badly wants to win"?

I wonder why nobody ever says "I admire Jerry Jones' ability to build a solid football team and direct a quality organization. He knows how to win."

Want to is nice, but where is the ability to consistently do so?
    cajuncocoa likes this.
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,766 Messages
    594 Likes Received
    Bill confirms the micro-management. Socks to Jocks.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,249 Messages
    4,192 Likes Received
    Those two responsives are not quite what I got from Bill but I can't argue a great deal with the fact we haven't been successful lately. Jerry does have 3 SB wins they just haven't come close in awhile now.
  6. Alexander

24,674 Messages
    4,944 Likes Received
    I would not call it micromanagement. That implies he is making deep decisions. It does not go that far. It is hard to do when you are what amounts to a weekend warrior as a general manager.

He also confirms what most fans should also know. Jerry listens. He really does. He does because he is incapable of making tough football based decisions otherwise. Coach Parcells thinks back fondly because with rare exceptions, he got what he wanted. But on his way out the door, Jones expressed elation he no longer had to walk on eggshells and promptly hired a stooge in Wade Phillips. That just points out the simple fact there were times where Jones could not pick and choose when to get involved.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,407 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    The way people think about Jerry is a like like Romo.

With Romo, you love the big plays that come from his, pardon the cliche, gunlsinger approach, but you hate the fact that he has made some big time mistakes.

With Jerry, you have to love the fact that he wants to win, and is willing to pay to do it, and is loyal to his players, but sometimes he makes blunders that hurt the team.
  8. Alexander

24,674 Messages
    4,944 Likes Received
    Honestly, I would hope any owner wants to win. I do not see that as a special quality to be thankful for, regardless of how many "bad owners" there are in the NFL.

And the problem is not the "owner" aspect anyways. It is the GM aspect. I would say of the 30 or so true GMs in the league, all of them are "passionate" and "want to win" because they have to in order to remain employed. Our GM does not have that particular problem.
  9. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    You've read "War and Peace" into Bill's thoughts on the matter.
  10. Alexander

24,674 Messages
    4,944 Likes Received
    And you read "Dick and Jane" into it to make yourself feel better.

Bill liked Jerry because he listened. Bill says Jerry has passion. Bill says fans should feel lucky. Therefore Jerry okay.
  11. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Actually I just read what he said.
  12. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,619 Messages
    2,166 Likes Received
    Don't forget that Jerry paid parcels a LOT of money
    Only the completely naive or ignorant would believe that does not color what he says in public

I bet the story would be a lot different behind closed doors
  13. Alexander

24,674 Messages
    4,944 Likes Received
    He paid him well and he is one of the most, if not the most, powerful owners in the NFL as well.
  14. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Plus Parcells has a history of never ever ever criticizing former employers - especially one who is one of the most powerful owners in the NFL.

Plus he refused to criticize owners in this very column.

These are all great reasons why we shouldn't just take Parcells at his word - but instead read into his words our own meanings based on our preconceptions and biases so that he's actually saying what we would have preferred he say.
  15. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,368 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    Isn't this completely contrary to his view of Jones that was documented in his book before he came to coach the Cowboys? Parcells seems wishy washy.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,126 Messages
    6,934 Likes Received
    I just have to shake my head at the knee-jerk reaction this thread immediately took. You know, guys, it's possible that Jerry Jones is a bit of a mixed bag, after all. That not everything about him is wrong, and that there are legitimate reasons why several past coaches have said the same things about him.
    Anybody reading all the nice comments Parcels had to say here, and then responding with, basically, 'why didn't he say a different set of nice things,' just doesn't want to admit the reality. However you want to cut it, it's clear that Bill Parcels enjoyed his time working with the Joneses, and that he believes the caricatures of them in the press are at least partially inaccurate. This is a nice piece of off-season fluff here, and not another invitation to examine our collective bi-polar relationship with the Dallas Cowboys.
    arglebargle likes this.
  17. Fansince64

Fansince64 Active Member

157 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    If Jerry has 3 SB wins, then so do you and I. We had just about exactly as much real input into those championships as Jerry.

Monte Sliger
    cajuncocoa likes this.
  18. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

5,828 Messages
    1,209 Likes Received
    My position has always been that it's his team. He can do what he will. Whomever doesn't like it ... is a personal problem because I believe this team will be handed down from generation to generation. We can just vent about it, root for the team and keep it moving. It's a waste of good brain cells.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,126 Messages
    6,934 Likes Received
    Sorry, but that's just a silly take.
  20. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received

Keep shaking maybe it will relieve some pressure. Jerry is a mixed bag of nuts and you shouldn't believe any Coach he fired much less Parcels who still has his tongue flapping in Jerruhs ear like the Used Carpet Salesman from up North he is. Beyond that...well, it's 17 years and counting.