1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bill Polian is a big believer in the 40-yard dash

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MichaelWinicki, Feb 21, 2013.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,299 Messages
    1,189 Likes Received
    40 times are quite useful in many areas.

BUT they are CLEARLY overrated at RB and WR. Those are skill positions where how fast you run without a ball in your hands is largely pointless.

A RB is wearing a fairly heavy dose of pads and has to rely on his vision. His first couple steps and his vision are so much more important than 40 time that it isn't even quantifiable.

Rice was able to run his 4.59 and make an immediate cut with NO loss of speed. He could catch the ball EVERY TIME running FULL speed. That is far more important than hitting 4.3 in his girl shorts for the stop watch.

You want speed overall and that speed certainly adds up on defense. But Belichek, Parcells and many others believe just as much in size.

I want really fast kick returners and coverage guys. I'd like my CBs to be very fast as well. After that I am rather OK with just solid speed guys who can actually play football. Sean Lee plays football like he is a 4.3 guy. That's what every coach really wants. Study the opponents and know their plays and start running before the other guy. Very seldom does the guy who starts running last win a race in the NFL.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,952 Messages
    2,170 Likes Received
    I think they are important but they are still just a tool used by teams. The body of work of a player matters, not doing some drills that play no part in the game. You can be great at workouts and not do anything on the field. They serve a purpose but sorry combines are not the be all it will not tell you the heart of a player. There are guys who did not do great in the combines but showed they were football players when they got their chance on the field.
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,808 Messages
    966 Likes Received
    That is why you scout games. You get to see them in pads and see them against real life opponents. The combines and pro-days are just to give a different perspective of a players physical abilities. I think it is good to compare what a guy can do without pads to what you see him do in pads. It gives a broader picture of the player.

I think the 40 time is an important tool, but it is not the most important nor is it the only tool used in evaluating prospects. There are many important elements that are utilized to determine the draft-ability of a player.
  4. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,008 Messages
    1,707 Likes Received
    Yup but is much simpler to discount their worth completely so you can just continue to use confirmation bias and make stuff up.

Cobra used to have in his sig something along the lines of "sitting on your couch and watching college football is not scouting."
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,770 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
    40-times do have a lot of merit.

And yes you have the exceptions (which everyone brings up) when the importance of a good 40-time is mentioned.

But keep in mind it's that lack of a good 40-time that keep many prospects from being NFL players, and the list of of "exceptions" pales in comparison to the list of "not fast enough to play at the NFL level".
  6. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    40 times are as commensurate in evaluating talent as SAT tests are for determining intelligence.

That is, they are not a legitimate determinant.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,952 Messages
    2,170 Likes Received
    I think there is merit to the 40 time, but a great 40 time means little to a WR if he does not run his routs well knows how to accelerate in and out of breaks or hold on to the football. You had guys like Rice and Irvin who were no more than 4.5 guys but they were excellent in knowing when to accelerate in and out of the break and to create a cushion. Same with a CB speed means a lot but speed with poor technique still gets you beat. No doubt guys running 5 flat are not going to make it as an NFL WR or CB but when often we are talking 10th of a second, how a player uses his speed means more than the speed itself. Since this is not track and field.
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,808 Messages
    966 Likes Received
    I don't even consider Jerry Rice or Emmit Smith to be exceptions. They were still both drafted in the first round because their 40 times were not the only thing they were being evaluated.
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,770 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
    And that's a valid point too.

Michae Irvin would be in the same boat.
  10. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,462 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    I still dont understand why they use a track stance for most positions. Players should line upnin a natural stance for the position and fire off the line like they would in a game. Ex a db should face the line and then turn and run like they would on a 9 route. Rb should line up square to the ball like they would before taking the handoff and exploding through the whole. That makes way more sense to me. See how fast they get out of their natural position and move. There is no reason to line up like your on yhe starting blocks to me. Well I mean obviously they do it to get a faster time, but outside of DE no other position lines up like that. You would get a more accurate time of their football speed this way imo.
  11. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,460 Messages
    775 Likes Received
    It's a tool, but find me a guy who can spot the Dwayne Harris's of the world and I'll give you a scout.

Some guys have "it" and Harris looks to be one.