1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bill Polian on Morris Claiborne

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by a_minimalist, Apr 20, 2012.

1. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,629 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    He just made a really good point about Morris Claiborne. He said the Vikings should draft Morris Claiborne and not Matt Kalil. I totally get that. Why would the Vikings draft Matt Kalil at #3 and not him? Especially when the Vikings play the Packers twice.
  2. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,020 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    I think that's a dumb argument myself. Kalil is a stud and can actually protect their QB. Claiborne isn't bad, but he's not going to shut down a team like the Packers by himself and is only going to be as good as their pass rush allows them.
  3. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Packers line up in 4 and 5 WR sets more than any team in the league. So Claiborne takes away one of the, big whoop.
  4. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,637 Messages
    251 Likes Received
    Because the Vikings need to protect ponder for years to come. And help Adrian Peterson hit those holes once he is healthy. So it makes perfect sense to draft kalil. Way to high for claiborne
  5. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,239 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    Since Polian has built SB teams in buffalo, Carolina and Indy, I would side with him.

I'm sure he has watched tape and see's the pro's and con's in each player.
  6. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    And his track record in drafting the last several years has been awful.

It's an opinion, it's not a decree from the mountaintop.
  7. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    He believes you should only take guys that touch the ball or pass rush or corner that highly. I'm sure his view is colored by having HOF qb's that get rid of the ball quickly.

He does not think Kalil is Joe Thomas.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    True dat.
  9. a_minimalist

4,629 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    i def don't think it's a dumb argument. i think it's pretty smart
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,050 Messages
    1,925 Likes Received
    I think it's a mistake to try and build to try and stop the Packer Offense. The reality is that Rogers is about as good a QB as you have in the league right now and the Packers are going to score points. I think that you have to be able to score with them. I don't believe that the Packers are all that good defensively. I believe that they get up on you and force you to limit yourself on offense. Makes it much easier to defend opponents because they make themselves one dimensional. I believe the Packers live off turnovers so the better you are able to protect your QB, the more you can limit TOs against them. If you want to invest defensively against the Packers, invest in guys who can put Rogers on his butt, not CBs IMO. That's just my opinion but if I needed to solidify a position and I had two players graded roughly the same, I would take the guy who helped keep my QB healthy over a CB. JMO
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    IF you believe Kalil is a stud LT then you take him. Frankly I look at Top Pass Rushers and Stud LTs as the next most important parts of your team after QB.
  12. a_minimalist

4,629 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    i don't think there was ever an intention to imply that they would draft morris claiborne simply to defend better against the packers. it was just used a an example. i do get what you're saying though.
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Strength and weaknesses of the draft factor in as well. It's a good CB draft and a horrible OT draft. The Vikings can find good CBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the draft if they take Kalil. If the take Claiborne they might have to reach for someone like Massie in the 2nd round if they want an NFL caliber tackle.
  14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,504 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    Sustain drives and keep the Packers offense off the field altogether.