1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bill would give President emergency control of internet

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ajk23az, Aug 28, 2009.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,194 Messages
    2,033 Likes Received
    "pron fix"?

[IMG]

:laugh2:
  2. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received

I dont like it, but I think it will get passed. They will play the patriot part of the country and the victim part. I will just always pose my same question about the internet. Does some kid in Germany really care about the laws in America?

If someone can or cannot get at our information or our cyberstructure will it really matter? Can we really stop them? Has anything we've done stopped Spies or people who want to sell the information?

And the encroachment upon the private sector is really getting annoying.
  3. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    It's only been 8 months. Imagine America after 8 years of Obama.
  4. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received

And this very statement is why I bring up GMC everyday. Did anyone forget the President fired their CEO? My god people, this man is encroaching on EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!
  5. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Oh no....you went there. It was like a hanging curve ball and you knocked it out of the park.

You make me laugh at least once a day.
  6. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,390 Messages
    1,418 Likes Received
    i'm not as worried about it passing or not (even if it's the right thing to do it's the wrong time to try) but what bothers me the most is why does obama want control of so many crucial things?

does he really believe "we the people" are too stupid to take care of ourselves? we learn, we evolve, and we continue.

as others have pointed out, this is no easy undertaking. but what he could like do is control the big boys, at*t, comcast, time warner and verizon to name a few. can they "turn off the internet".

no.

then can turn off my access but the internet isn't an appliance or a single computer anywhere. germany, china, and other countries will still access it - will they stop if we stop?

no and no reason they should.

also keep in mind how many things are run *over* the internet these days. it's not just surfing and partying. VOIP would be killed and you can't make calls anymore.

uverse and verizon customers would be DOA for even television access to know what's going on. taking down the internet would be a rough equivilent of a huge power outage in the chaos it would cause.

my initial guess is that it would do much more damage than good unless it's very well thought out and standards are put into place to mitigate exactly what is off and how it can/should be controlled.

technically this is a nightmare. politically, it's just stupid.
  7. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You are missing the point again.
    The mere suggestion that the White House can shut the internet down shows you what the agenda is,and the agenda is complete control over the citizen.

Wake up.
  8. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    IIRC, the US government can close down the national highway system anytime it wants. When the Interstate system was proposed and built, it was considered a national and military resource.

If a hacker could figure out a 'magic button' to take down the internet for a week, it would deystroy the economy. And believe me, the governments of China, Russia, etc are amassing hacker resources for their own use.

If you have ever dealt with an intransigent ISP, you understand why it might be difficult to get things done swiftly.
  9. iceberg

28,390 Messages
    1,418 Likes Received
    fine. close down a highway.

that isn't the same as turning the "power off" to a country now is it? with a highway down i can go around. fly over it. take a train. something will see me through.

but if you turn off the internet you do a lot more than just shut down a highway.

now, raging fear factor aside, a hacker can't take down the internet. nice try.
  10. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    :laugh1:
  11. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    You undervalue what disruption would happen if the Highways were shut down for any length of time. The airways were certainly shut down, rightly so, during 9/11. That's about the level of danger that would have to happen to justify something like this. Or else there would be metric ton of trouble.

I know that 'taking down' the internet is not something Joe Hacker is going to do. But countless disasters have occured because people were convinced something could not possibly happen....oops. And things thought impossible ten years ago are doable, and sometimes commonplace.

What's possible in five or ten years?

The internet has weaved it's way so tightly into the modern world, that risks to it have to be taken more seriously. Not sure if this particular instance is a great idea, but there have to be some folks thinking seriously about this.
  12. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How would the government controlling the internet and being able to take it away prevent someone from hacking it whenever they want or feel like it? We might as well start throwing people in jail because they may be committing crimes.
  13. BigWillie

BigWillie Well-Known Member

1,768 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    Patriot Act = :thumbup:

Internet Bill = :thumbdo:

'Kay.
  14. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    argle,on internet,IT and computer matters,I would not boogie with Iceberg.
  15. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,261 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    IIRC the "HIGHWAYS" in question are interstate highways and US routes otherwise the rest are property of the state they are in. Would it be inconvenient yes but paralyzing no most cities have ways in and out using things other then highways and US routes. Also the only way I know how to shout down the internet is disrupt the atomic clocks that the internet gets it cycle rate from and I will give you hint there more then one and probably no less then few hundred thousand.
  16. iceberg

28,390 Messages
    1,418 Likes Received
    you mean we grow, evolve, and figure things out? with or without the government?

countless disasters have always happened through our life. it never happened with the internet before because it simply wasn't there for it to happen on, dude. that's all.

when they hit, we fix it as best we can and keep growing and evolving.

not shutting it down cause it can hurt you. that's just stupid.
  17. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,844 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. It reminds me of the Y2K alarmists.

If some hacker figured out a magic button to shut down the internet for a week, which I don't even consider to be a realistic proposition, it would be a tremendous nuisance, but it wouldn't "destroy the economy".
  18. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Patriot Act = Control
    Internet Bill = Control

Republican Party = Control
    Democratic Party = Control

Same thing prepackaged and revamped for different customer base.

You and me = Political patsy.
  19. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    There won't be an America after eight years of Obama . . . .

:cool:
  20. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Here's proof of that statement.

[youtube]hIKPKjl0-pg&eurl[/youtube]