1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Blackmon posts sub-4.50 40s at Oklahoma State pro day

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Doomsday101, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    Justin Blackmon widely was criticized when he chose not to run the 40-yard dash during the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis because of a hamstring injury.

Blackmon’s decision placed more importance on Oklahoma State’s pro day, and he certainly did not disappoint scouts when he ran Friday.

NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock reported Blackmon ran unofficial times of 4.48 and 4.49 seconds at his pro day, putting to rest any concern that he’d post a slow time in the 40. Blackmon is Mayock’s top-ranked wideout in April’s draft.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/09/bla...oma-state-pro-day/?module=HP11_headline_stack
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,514 Messages
    551 Likes Received
    So basically he ran a 4.5, lol. That's fast enough, I wasn't worried about his speed.
  3. revospeed

revospeed Active Member

430 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    He won't be asked to stretch the field. He'll play underneath and be pretty good at that.
  4. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,145 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    How fast is Dez in the 40? Do any of you Zoners remember?

Dez is one of those players that just runs faster in pads and someone chasing him......:starspin
  5. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,212 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    I agree, a pro-day 4.5 is like a 4.6to 4.7 at the combine. I think he will be a great possession receiver, better than T.J. Houshmandzadeh or Ricky Proehl.
  6. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,543 Messages
    14 Likes Received
  7. revospeed

revospeed Active Member

430 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Blackmon just reminds me of TO when he played for San Fran, his ability ro run after the catch is pretty amazing. He's not as big or as fast as TO, but I can see definite similarities between the two.
  8. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    OK, could be great.

Glad we don't have to think about drafting him.
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree, I see the same things.

I do so reluctantly too, because I always resist making the convienent comparison, but he simply reminds me too much of a slightly smaller TO. These guys are both strong runners after catch, well-built receivers that don't want to go down, not the type to run through you, but rather find a lane and run to it. I would say I think Blackmon has better ball skills in the air as TO was never someone who like to go vertical ala Larry Fitzgerald.
  10. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I agree.

Terrell Owens loved getting the ball in stride and trying to make something happen after the catch.

Owens despised fighting for contested passes, especially if it meant leaving his feet in order to do so.

I look at is as Owens played small.

Justin Blackmon is more physical and will fight in traffic, though nowhere near the level Dez Bryant does.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,971 Messages
    4,145 Likes Received
    He's cemented his status as a top 10 pick.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,971 Messages
    4,145 Likes Received
  13. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dez was never considered a burner, but folks forget that he skipped the combine after having a bum ankle or something. IIRC, wasn't he coming off a minor surgery of his foot or ankle?
  14. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,136 Messages
    371 Likes Received
    I really believe Blackmon is going to be a major star in the NFL. The kid just seems like he's got everything you want in a WR.
  15. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,828 Messages
    200 Likes Received

imo he basically ran a 4.6, i never take those pro days 40 as gospel, add 0.1 seconds for real speed.

I like his gamew but i wouldnt take him top 10.

If St Louis moves to 4 they will take Claiborne imo.
  16. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    He could be, guess my problem is if I'm taking a WR in the top 5, he better have the measurables of a Calvin Johnson.

What isn't realized alot about WRs is that measurables do matter (sorry combine haters). Sure, throw in the GOAT Rice (who had 2 HOF QBs) or Boldin, but if a WR is drafted in the top 5 of the draft, he better be a freak of nature.
  17. Bill Wooten

Bill Wooten Active Member

590 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    If the Vikings pass on Blackmon, they are crazy.
  18. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,828 Messages
    200 Likes Received

why ?

Kalil is ten times the better prospect and plays a more important position
  19. Flyo87

Flyo87 New Member

19 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Completely agree. I honestly think its debatable who the best WR in this class between he, Floyd and Kendall Wright. People are throwing around the Owens comparisons but Owens's athleticism is what made him so if he's alot slower, and smaller what does that make him? IMO top 10 pick type of WR is reserved for guys like Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, and guys like Larry Fitzgerald. Blackmon isnt that type of prospect.
  20. casmith07

casmith07 #TeamJerry

25,455 Messages
    997 Likes Received
    Running a 40-yard dash in Nike Pro Combat tights ≠ game speed.