1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Blaine Gabbert is among the more intriguing first-round picks.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jan 18, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Gabbert worth watching as draft nears
    JOHN GLENNON, The Tennessean
    Posted on January 17, 2011in Draft, League News and Team News. 25 Comments
    Tags: blaine gabbert.
    [IMG]
    http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2011/01/17/gabbert-worth-watching-as-draft-nears/
    Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert (AP Photo)
    One of the more intriguing first-round prospects in the upcoming NFL draft – especially with a number of teams looking to fill quarterback voids – is Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert.

The 6-foot-5, 235-pounder has steadily moved up the draft boards this season, with Andrew Luck’s decision to remain at Stanford pushing him even higher.

Mel Kiper, ESPN’s NFL draft guru, says that Gabbert is now the top quarterback prospect available, and SI.com’s Andrew Perloff takes things a step further, predicting that Carolina will tab Gabbert with the top overall selection in April.

It’s easy to see what there is to like about Gabbert, who is a physical specimen along the lines of Pittsburgh’s Ben Roethlisberger and Tampa Bay’s Josh Freeman. Scouts says he has a powerful arm and good mobility for a big man, as he ran for 232 yards and five touchdowns last season.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,859 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    I honestly wouldn't be mad if he was our pick.
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

shhhh, we are a VERY, very small minority............:eek::
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gabbert is a prospect that possesses nice sized frame (6'5" 235 lb) and lightning-quick release and a nice skill-set to develop. However, I don't see a ready-made prospect that is worthy of a Top-5 or Top-10 selection. Gabbert actually took a step back in 2010 from his '09 season, seeing his production drop (TDs: 24 to 16) along with his QB rating (140.45 to 127.03). That QB rating was good enough to put him as the 69th rated passer in the college ranks. Gabbert will likely get a stock boost because the consensus top pick and #1 ranked QB, Andrew Luck, has decided to return to Stanford.

IMO, Gabbert's stock could drop him to the 20s or late 1st round as we draw closer to the Draft and more teams scrutinize him.
  5. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I bet Fisher and the Titans is all over this kid at #8