1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

***Blame defense thread***

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,718 Messages
    1,031 Likes Received
    That last drive is a microcosm of what this defense has been for years on end. No turnovers, no pressure and let a team just march down our throats at will and eat up clock. Horrible tackling and safety play was atrocious all game. People out of position. This defense can't get a turnover to save their life and even when they do sack strip, they screw that up as well and let the Falcons recover.
  2. Blackspider214

2,718 Messages
    1,031 Likes Received
    Agreed. I've said this for years and then get hit with the backlash of how stupid I am and how dumb I am and how great he is.

He has 107 sacks or so. How many of those have come when it mattered? Where is he when the game is on the line ever? I feel he puts up so many empty numbers and is a nonfactor in crunch time.
  3. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Someone did an analysis before and I think almost 50% of his sacks were on third down and a lot were in the 4th.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,064 Likes Received
    Bob Sturm ‏@SportsSturm
    I love Irvin and crew saying the defense did enough. They gave up 8 20 yard plays and 450 yards. Child, please.

6 drives of 60 or more yards. 7 of 9 drives ended in points or a missed FG. Don't tell me the defense played well.

now, by no means am I suggesting the offense was good. But that was a given. Only am speaking about defense because of crazy talk.
  5. Joshmil53

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    How many of those 20+ yard plays were preventable from a wiffed tackle by Oscan/Our safeties?
  6. dcowboysfan76

dcowboysfan76 Well-Known Member

1,037 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    I can't even get mad any more... I used to avoid all sports networks including radio stations until the next time the Cowboys played, but now I've just come to accept the fact that the Cowboys will continue to find ways to lose the game until someone figures out why.
  7. Blackspider214

2,718 Messages
    1,031 Likes Received
    Ok but those tell me nothing. 3rd down at what point in the game? What is the score? It could be 3rd down when we are up 20 or down 20 and those mean nothing. Sorry but I don't gush over him like everyone. This defense is so unclutch it's not even funny.
  8. Joshmil53

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    The whole chart had that, scores, times, but it was in the off-season and I can't find it. Ware is definitely clutch.
  9. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy Zone Supporter

3,120 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    This. Just because the offense played horribly the defense gets a pass because they played "less horribly"?
  10. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Held the Falcons to their lowest point totals of the season.
  11. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,064 Likes Received
    Bob Sturm ‏@SportsSturm
    The opposing RB and each WR had 100 yards, while the QB threw for 342 and 0 turnovers so we played great defense - things nobody ever says.

Anyway, I will write about this mess in the morning. I am strongly considering a vote for change (and then hope) at Valley Ranch.

Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez
    Defense played 'well' debate? Maybe, maybe not. For me, 19 points at Falcons fits comfortably under that big 'well enough' umbrella.
  12. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,206 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    well third down is when you'd expect a pass rusher to get alot of his sacks.
  13. Blackspider214

2,718 Messages
    1,031 Likes Received
    Made no plays when it mattered and let the Falcons eat up 6 minutes to end the game. They let the Falcons march the ball down their throat on many drives. And them missing 2 FGs and on the last drive they weren't trying to score but just waste time.

This defense has the biggest bunch of nothing once again.
  14. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    Anyone blaming the defense was simply not watching the game.

There is nothing you can do when you routinely stop an offense only to see your offense go and give them the ball right back.

The defense ALWAYS plays well at the start of the game but are frequently made to spend more time on the field because the offense is completley incompetent. It's no surprise they give up points in the second half. They're tired. They can't force 3 and outs and shut down the offense the whole game. Why? Because teams do that against us.

For far too long, the defense has been getting the blame because the offense can't score. Someone needs to realize that the offense is putting the defense in position to fail
  15. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,540 Messages
    1,033 Likes Received
    Very true, but football is not played in a vacuum and the defense also didn't really do anything to help the Cowboys score points. They let up a lot of long drives resulting in poor starting field position and two of their best four drives were a result of a missed field goal as opposed to anything they did to stop Atlanta.
  16. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Fat boys defense doesnt get turnovers, and doesnt make big plays. They were slightly less pathetic than the mess that Garrett put on the field.
  17. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    They made a number of plays throughout the game. Mo had the INT at the end but the refs missed the PI by White.

If someone told you before the game that the Cowboys defense would hold Atlanta to 19 points, would you have taken it? I would have. 13 points by the Cowboys offense was a joke.
  18. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,602 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    The defense was missing Lee, Ratliff, Conner, and worse of all, had to play with McCray at safety. Still, they only gave up 19 points, and that should be good enough to win.
  19. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    No one makes excuses for the defense.

Instead, all we hear about it is how bad the OL is or how Dez, Witten, Jones etc...were injured and couldn't play to their full capability.

And yet, the D missing their starting S, DT, MLB (literally the middle of the defense) can hold the best team in the league to 19 points and that's not good enough?

And an offense with Romo, Austin, Bryant, Witten can't get over 13 and that's OK?
  20. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Missing Connor was actually probably a positive, with his slow @$$ in coverage over Sims who knows how many times we get burnt