1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Board Question, on defensive pass rushers

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CCBoy, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,741 Messages
    343 Likes Received
    You could apply the same argument for Cox who was 20 all season long in college - be turned 21 in December. So I wouldn't favor Brockers over Cox due to age.

I think we all agree that we have to change the blueprint of our DL. The DEs are too slow and don't apply enough pressure even if they play the run well. This is not a running league until you get inside the 10-yard line. You win games with the pass and defending the pass.

Brockers should be eliminated from consideration. He has no burst and no pass rush moves. He will be Marcus Spears II if we are lucky.

Cox can be good and a 5-sack a year guy. However, Coples can be special. He can hang in there on first and second but then he can really pins his ears back and come after the QB in the nickel. You can flex him out to DE and give him 1-on-1 matchups against RTs with Ware on the other side. I think Coples could be a double digit sack guy in this defense. His versatility will be a big plus. I don't think it is a stretch to even put him in at OLB occasionally with his speed.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

15,086 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    You and I do anyway.
  3. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,525 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    Coples. He has all the physical abilities one looks for in a pass rushing DE. If Coples and DeCastro are gone, I draft Cox or trade down.
  4. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like them in this order

Fletcher Cox
    Whitney Mercilus
    Quinton Couples
    BRUCE IRVIN
    Melvin Ingram
    Courtney Upshaw
  5. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,328 Messages
    1,780 Likes Received
    If we're going passrusher, my preference is Fletcher Cox. He would have an immediate impact on passrush. I'm not sure if he's as stout against the run as some people say, but there's no doubt he can get up field. His burst for his size is pretty amazing. With a year of NFL strength training, I think he'd be one of the best 3-4 defensive ends in the league.