1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by The Ominous, Nov 6, 2011.

1. The Ominous

The Ominous Dead Man Stalkin

1,193 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Very surprised there isn't more discussion about this amazing show. It is right up there with Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Dexter, etc. This season has been truly incredible so far. This is the best show currently airing on tv.
  2. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,853 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    Yes it is. Ill be marathoning the season at the end.
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I started watching it when it aired the first season. I think about six or eight episodes in, I stopped watching it as it just wasn't good enough to keep my attention.

...maybe it improved? I don't know. I just know it wasn't that great in the beginning.
  4. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,367 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    It's a good show but it is a notch below Breaking Bad and lol at putting The Walking Dead in with Breaking Bad. I like The Walking Dead but it is what it is a show with lots of flaws in it.

Anyway Boardwalk is a good show, slow at times but does have lots of violence even more than the Sopranos and some good acting.
  5. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,774 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    Last night was a little bit slow, but they are obviously setting a few things up...

Last week's episode was really good...
  6. Alumni2k11

Alumni2k11 Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)

1,050 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    My favorite show. Been keeping up with it closely though I've yet to catch last nights.
  7. The Ominous

1,193 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Oh, I definitely don't mean the quality is the same between Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead. BB puts it to complete shame. I was talking more about how much buzz and discussion is generated with TWD and even Dexter. Boardwalk should have a much bigger following than it currently does.
  8. Cowboy Brian

11,853 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    If i'm not mistaking its the most watched show on HBO. Problem is HBO is a pay-channel.

People complain about how it is a "slow" show, that's my favorite part. It doesn't rush stories, it let's them develop. It's excellent.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,483 Messages
    3,770 Likes Received
    I watched it last season and thought it was ok...really not blown away by it although some of the acting was great.

Have not watched a single show of it this season however I might catch up with it (on demand) when i get bored.
  10. The Ominous

1,193 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    That's cool. Didn't know that. It deserves a strong following but it just seems that when I am discussing tv shows online or even in person it is rarely mentioned with the other "big gun shows" like the ones I referenced earlier.

And I love the pacing of the show. People complain about the pacing in Breaking Bad as well, but these shows gradually build momentum and then BAM here comes the holy crap moments. If Boardwalk has one flaw it's that there are so many interesting characters and I tend to miss them when they aren't on screen, specifically Capone and Richard Harrow.
  11. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is how I felt as well, the first episodes weren't going anywhere and I don't watch enough TV for that to be on my must watch list. I caught an episode last week and it looks like it has gotten better so I might take a weekend to catch up soon.
  12. Cowboy Brian

11,853 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    Agreed with you. I sometimes forget what characters are doing, and unlike other shows, I actually care about all of them. The only character I don't like is that danzinger woman. The rest are excellent, great actors and an impeccable storyline.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,483 Messages
    3,770 Likes Received
    Speaking of shows on the Movie Channels.

I hope that the current ones that are doing well do not fall to the same fates of others in the past.

What they did with Deadwood and Rome was terrible. They really screwed up how they handled those shows in the end. At least with Rome they tried to tie up the final season even if they did so in a bad way (skipping years of things and events). I am still mad at how they did deadwood. Canceled it, then came out and said they were going to do a 2-3 part movie (2 hours each) to tie up things but never did and never informed the actors that they were not going to do it.

I have heard similar things from fans of Carnival and Six Feet under although I never watched those shows so I really don't know.
  14. mldardy

6,367 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    Gotcha. Boardwalk's ratings haven't been as impressive since the pilot from what I read and down from Season 1. I think True Blood is currently HBO's top rated show.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,883 Messages
    7,320 Likes Received
    It moved too slow for me. I got about 4 episodes in and lost interest.
  16. Cowboy Brian

11,853 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    Your right, True Blood is #1. Boardwalk Empire is #2.
  17. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,353 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    watched all of season 1 and 1 episode of season 2 and called it quits, didn't ever get me hooked. game of thrones is the best show HBO has IMO followed by trueblood. Dexter and shameless on showtime are in a close fight with them as well. between those shows, breaking bad, and walking dead I feel like I'm getting the best quality shows year round and they are all on three networks! at this point if I could just pay for showtime, HBO, AMC, ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC, ESPN, NFLN, LHN, and MTV I would be set.
  18. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Empire is simply a fantastic show...from the scripts to the acting to the sets to the costumes.

Wonderful.
  19. mldardy

6,367 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    I agree sort of with Game of Thrones. However I am waiting for season 2 before I declare it the best show on HBO. I still like Boardwalk and want to see how this season goes and what direction the show will go in. I disagree about True Blood. That show started off really good but it has gotten incredibly stupid and bad the past couple of seasons. That show is just a parody now.
  20. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,503 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Enjoying season 2 of Boardwalk Empire. What is up with Jimmy's mom?? :D