1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bob Hayes to be inducted to the US Olympic HOF

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 13, 2005.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,709 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Posted on Thu, Oct. 13, 2005

Hayes, Ashford, Brooks headline U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame class

[IMG]
    [size=-1]Associated Press[/size]
    [IMG]

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Track stars Bob Hayes and Evelyn Ashford, 1980 hockey coach Herb Brooks and the 1984 U.S. men's gymnastics team highlight this year's class for the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame.

Gymnast Shannon Miller, figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi, swimmer Rowdy Gaines and Jack Shea also were selected for the Hall. Paralympian Diana Golden-Brosnihan and NBC sports chief Dick Ebersol also will be inducted Dec. 8 in Chicago.

"This is an incredibly humbling experience for me and without a doubt the greatest award I've ever received," Gaines said Wednesday after the selections were announced during the U.S. Olympic Committee media summit. "To join some of the greatest athletes in history, I really can't put it into words. It really is amazing."

Hayes, the only man to win an Olympic gold medal and a Super Bowl ring, was dubbed the "World's Fastest Human" after he won a pair of gold medals at the 1964 Olympics. He tied the world record in the 100 meters, then anchored the 400 relay team that set a world record. After his track and field career, "Bullet Bob" spent 11 years in the NFL and was part of the Dallas Cowboys' team that won the Super Bowl after the 1971 season.

Hayes died of kidney failure in 2002.

Ashford won five Olympic medals, four of them gold. She won the 100 meters at the Los Angeles Games, and helped the Americans win three straight golds in the 400 relay at the 1984, '88 and '92 Games. Ashford made five Olympic teams, but only competed in four because of the United States' boycott of the 1980 Games.

Brooks led a team of college players to the greatest upset in hockey history, the "Miracle on Ice" victory over the mighty Soviet machine in the 1980 semifinals. The Americans went on to win the gold medal, their only one since 1960.

Brooks also played on the 1964 and '68 teams, and was the last player cut in 1960. He died in a car accident in 2003.

Led by Bart Conner, Peter Vidmar and Mitch Gaylord, the 1984 men's gymnastics team won eight medals, including the United States' first gold in the team competition. Vidmar won a gold on the pommel horse and a silver in the all-around, and Conner took gold on the parallel bards. Gaylord won silver on vault, and added bronze medals on parallel bars and still rings.

Miller is the most decorated American gymnast with seven Olympic medals, two of them gold. She helped lead "The Magnificent Seven" to the team gold in 1996, then added another on balance beam.

Gaines won three golds at the 1984 Games. Yamaguchi was the gold medalist at the Albertville Games and the world champion in 1991 and 1992.

Shea was the patriarch of the United States' first three-generation Olympic family. A speedskater, he won gold in the 500 and 1,500 meters at the 1932 Olympics in his hometown of Lake Placid, N.Y. His son, Jim Shea Sr., was a member of the U.S. ski team in 1964, and grandson Jimmy Shea carried a picture of his grandfather in his helmet when he won gold in skeleton in 2002, a few weeks after the eldest Shea died.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/12892168.htm
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    That is great. I wonder how old this Hall has been around. Seems like it has taken too long for him to get in it as well, but at least he is in.
  3. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,016 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Yeah that was my thought exactly. What has taken them so long?
  4. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Ah...my favorite all-time Cowboy..

For those who didn't get a chance to see him play, this was a truly amazing athlete...

Best play called for him, IMO, wasn't the deep pass...but the 2 yd hitch...the tackle would pull out into the flat in front of him...and off he'd go.

Great stuff.

Well deserved.
  5. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,910 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    What... they don't have an Olympic "Hall of Very Good"?

Peter King is gonna be p.o.'ed...
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,906 Messages
    2,725 Likes Received
    Imagine if the Football HOF finally realizes how stupid his absence is. I wonder if any other athlete is in 2 Halls of Fame? I'm so pleased for him.
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

King is probably making phone calls right now to see how he could have been excluded from this decision...
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,050 Messages
    1,925 Likes Received
    I find this ironic. The rest of the world gets it but not the Pro Football HOF Committee.

Sad really.