1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bob Stoops: SEC dominance is part propaganda

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by joseephuss, May 8, 2013.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,184 Messages
    1,151 Likes Received
    http://tracking.si.com/2013/05/07/bob-stoops-sec-propaganda/

Bob Stoops: SEC dominance is part propaganda

Here’s what Stoops told the Tulsa World.

“Well, it depends on what gap you’re talking about,” Stoops said. “What are the bottom six doing?

“So they’ve had the best team in college football,” Stoops said. “They haven’t had the whole conference. Because, again, half of ‘em haven’t done much at all. I’m just asking you. You tell me.”
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,853 Messages
    2,129 Likes Received
    Ol Bob is reaching here. :laugh2:

Alabama
    LSU
    Florida
    Auburn
    Tennessee

5 different teams in that league have won BCS titles.
    That is insane.

I'm actually surprised Georgia hasn't won one, though they did win an National title before the BCS.

Now there's rumblings that Texas AM could cause a stir. All talk for now though.
  3. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Bob, in the last 20 years, the Big 8/12 has won 5 NCAA championships(3 diff teams). In the last 20 years, the SEC has won 11 NCAA championships(5 diff teams)
  4. DFWJC

22,853 Messages
    2,129 Likes Received
    And that is being very generous by including a certain team currently in the Big 10 in that tally.
  5. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Yea I was trying to be fair bc they were in the conf at the time .
  6. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,627 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Tennessee really shouldn't be included in this group. They haven't won the title or been to a BCS bowl game since Clinton was President.
  7. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,496 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I think he makes a valid point, I don't think ole miss or vandy are better than Baylor or tech
  8. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,636 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    The Big 12 is a dying league outside of OU and Texas nobody really brinigs in money in the long term. When other leagues have average to bad programs that bring in big amounts of money. Tennessee for example will probably still bring in tons of money, I'm aware they have financial difficulties now mostly because of bad management. But they still bring in tons of money despite not having a good program for about a decade.
  9. DFWJC

22,853 Messages
    2,129 Likes Received
    Just stating the facts.
    They did, in fact, win a BCS title. So it was recent enough that the BCS had been formed. But yes, it was while ago.

Anyway
    BCS titles

SEC =9

All other conferences combined = 6

The only teams to win multiple BCS titles,
    Alabama (3)
    LSU (2)
    Florida (2)

I for one am really hoping this trend ends soon.
  10. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,033 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    I agree with Bob Stoops. The legand of SEC dominance is indeed part propaganda because I have it on good authority that their wikipedia page has been edited to say the last 8 BCS champions have come from the SEC.

That can't be true.....can it Bob?
  11. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,033 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    If the Big 12 were smart they would raid the ACC before the SEC or Pac 12 push for Texas again. Adding a Florida State and/or Miami (after probation) would be huge.
  12. DFWJC

22,853 Messages
    2,129 Likes Received
    Easier said than done.

I know we've had threads on this in the past.

I've been saying along along I seriously doubt FSU or Clemson would leave for the Big 12, but feel much more strongly now than a year ago.

But the ACC is stronger now than they were this time last year. And if you look at that league top to bottom, it's pretty strong in all sports.
    They have a new TV deal and are now moving toward enhancing it further.

And lastly, on April 23rd...

"Fifteen ACC presidents formally barricaded the conference doors Monday afternoon, announcing the signing a grant of media rights agreement that effectively rules out any departures until 2027 and locks down the ACC’s current structure."

" Such a deal, in layman's terms, means that every school is granting the conference the revenue from certain broadcast rights. Even if a school were to leave, its TV money would stay within the league until the end of the deal. Neither the school nor its new league would make TV money, meaning all ACC schools would be completely off limits"

When you run the numbers, any team leaving would forfiet about 300 million.

All 15 schools agree to this.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Stoops is such an overrated buffoon. This is the last thing he should be talking about after an SEC team blistered him just a few months ago.

And this is more of his act, putting down the evil media to make sure they kiss his butt 100% of the time, not just 90.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,738 Messages
    1,661 Likes Received
    This is pretty mild stuff. Texas is used to this kind of stuff.
  15. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,653 Messages
    1,861 Likes Received
    lol sorry Bob.

SEC is easily the best.

What's propaganda is watching people put a team like OU in the National Championship when they run up the score on no talent teams that have no balance.

I get sick of these other conferences having 1 elite team and a bunch of nothing behind that 1 team and they get to the National title because of a weak schedule.
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,653 Messages
    1,861 Likes Received
    He really is.

I'm glad he is OU's coach. They have built the program up to where they could do so much better than him as their coach.

He'll probably win another National Title someday but it will be because he stockpiled a bunch of talent. He's not outcoaching any of the top College coaches anytime soon.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,738 Messages
    1,661 Likes Received
    I agree that the SEC is the best. The titles prove it so it's hard to say otherwise but from the perspective of rating a conference top to bottom, the Big 12 has an argument IMO. Top to bottom, I think they are better then the SEC. It's just that in recent years, the top of the SEC has been head and shoulders better then everybody else, including the Big 12.
  18. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

964 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    FWIW

I overheard something on PTI about this yesterday and Wilbon brought up points about the powerhouses of the SEC. He would say that they had a lot of non conference home games and the SEC powerhouses would only go on the road to play a weak team or a conference opponent. If an SEC powerhouse did go on the road to face a tough opponent, they would bring SEC officials.
  19. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,496 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Thats my point exactly, the top 2 teams in the SEC are WAY better than just about any team in the country every year, but the worst teams in the big 12 (outside of Kansas) are very good teams, Iowa state, tech, Baylor, would easily beat the bottom teams in the SEC
  20. DFWJC

22,853 Messages
    2,129 Likes Received
    The more teams you have in a conference, the more likely the bottom teams will not be so good.

There's a big difference between 14 and 10 teams.
    And before anyone says, "well that gives the SEC more chances to have more top 10 teams" consider how rare it is to even have one or two of those type teams....let alone 5 different teams that have won BCS titles.

On average, if you have more teams, your bottom is worse, because only so many teams can fit into the top 10 or 20. There are still another 100 slots available for rest of the teams, like Kansas or Kentucky.

I know we are in Big 12 country so if anyone would ever support this "my bottom dwellers are better than yours" stuff it would be here.
    The Big 12 is plenty good. But I thnk if line up team 1 through 10 in each conference you would usually have a mismatch favoring the SEC.

I aslo disagree that the if you omit the bottom team from each conferecne, that the Big 12 bottom feeders would easily beat those in the SEC. It'd be a toss-up most years.

In gerneral, the top 10 SEC programs (not just last year)

Alabama
    LSU
    Florida
    Georgia
    Auburn
    Texas AM
    Tennessee
    Arkansas
    South Carolina
    Missouri

I don't see iowa St, Baylor, Kansas, Tx tech easily beating any of those team year in and year out. The games would be much better if you added the 11th-14th teams: Ol Miss, Miss St, Vandy, Kentucky. But that is reaching past the top 10.