1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bob Sturm relays argument against Charles Haley for HOF

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 1, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,856 Messages
    3,782 Likes Received
    Bob Sturm ‏@SportsSturm
    Most stunning C Haley talking point on HOF: 3rd in sacks on Dal in 92 (6) and 93 (4). 10 sacks and behind Tolbert and Jeffcoat hurts case.

I think Haley belongs in, just repeating one voter's reasoning in being a bit hesitant to make sure he gets the right 5 in this year.
  2. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,483 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    No other player has five Super Bowl rings, and he played a big role in all five of them.

That said, he was a first-grade jerk, and in a year like this with so many deserving players, I'd bet he gets bumped back another year.
  3. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Another great example as to why we need better and more descriptive analytic measures than sacks for pass rushers. It's about like Wins for pitchers or RBIs for hitters.
  4. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,898 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    No, that would cause posters to acknowledge this wasn't Spencer's first good season, so scratch that idea
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,610 Messages
    4,496 Likes Received
    I loved the Haley acquisition at the time. But it's another case for me where its teams that win Superbowls and not individuals. The fact that he's won 5 on 5 different teams doesn't mean much to me. Nor does the fact that Allen only had one.

I put Haley's contribution at about the order of players like Woodson and Novacek...very, very important to those teams, and without them we would not have won the big games, but I don't think they're HoF-worthy (with the possible exception of Woody). They (Haley and Woody) deserve the honor of consideration, but they'd fall just short in my book.
  6. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,828 Messages
    3,829 Likes Received
    Sturm is an idiot who didn't start following football until the NHL went bankrupt.
  7. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,024 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Five on two different teams.
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,420 Messages
    758 Likes Received
    So you don't agree with Sturm that he thinks Haley is deserving of the HOF?
  9. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,828 Messages
    3,829 Likes Received
    Oh he thinks he's deserving? In that case, he's one of the most knowledgeable football analysts out there today.
  10. jbz64

jbz64 Member

168 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They have to remember that Jeffcoat and Tolbert did not get double or triple teamed like Haley. I believe Haley took us over the hump to become what the Cowboys became in the 90's.
  11. Idgit

28,610 Messages
    4,496 Likes Received
    My point is that each team is different each year, but, yeah, it wasn't a good point. Two organizations, 5 rings. Great for him, but he wasn't the one winning those trophies by himself.

He also was reportedly such a bad teammate that I ding him for that. That might not be fair to him, but stories of him masturbating in meetings and urinating on coaches' cars rub me the wrong way.
  12. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,280 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    Haley was the best I ever saw in Dallas and second best (behind Reggie White) all time. Throw stats out...this guy was terror.
  13. joseephuss

20,420 Messages
    758 Likes Received
    What a poor choice of words.
  14. DrKennethNoisewater

DrKennethNoisewater Member

106 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Haley is deserving, unfortunately this class will be a tough one for him to get in. Ogden, Allen, Parcells, Debartolo, Modell, Strahan, Shields, Brown, Carter, and a few others will keep him out this year.
  15. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,029 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    For those of us who suffered through the teams of the late 80s and very early 90s without a great pass rusher, Haley in 1992 was an amazing sight. He made everyone around him better.
  16. Idgit

28,610 Messages
    4,496 Likes Received
    You probably wouldn't believe how long I went back and forth on that one.
  17. joseephuss

20,420 Messages
    758 Likes Received
    :bow:
  18. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,597 Messages
    773 Likes Received
    Put me in the group that has Haley just on the outside of the HOF. People either forget or just aren't old enough to know, but when Haley came here he was in no way thought of someone who was Hall of Fame caliber... he was an extremely talented head case, a dominant pass rusher who was okay at best against the run. He did have that breakout season in 1990 (the kind that you would expect to see about 8 more of from a HOF DE, at least in my HOF) but other than that had been good to very good. Then he leaves one team of the decade for the team of the next decade and apparently has "won" his way into the Hall.

Definitely not gonna be upset if he makes it; but he just doesn't pass the smell test to me. Also, his 5 Pro Bowls and 2 All-Pros seem low to me (Reggie White had 13 and 8, for an admittedly lofty comparison, but still the best of the best is what we're talking about here).
  19. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,856 Messages
    3,782 Likes Received
    I hate you both... :laugh2:
  20. joseephuss

20,420 Messages
    758 Likes Received
    It's the first of February, not April. You can't fool me. I know you love us both.