1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bob Sturm relays argument against Charles Haley for HOF

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 1, 2013.

1. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I definitely agree he's not in the no-brainer category, but I think he's pretty comparable to Richard Dent who got in. Mostly I think he's held out because sports writers want to punish him for not "playing ball" with them, and I absolutely abhor the way sports journalists over-inflate their importance to sports and use Hall of Fame nominations to grind personal vendettas.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,193 Messages
    776 Likes Received
    as far as I am concerned the only people who should vote on the HOF should be PRESENT members of the HOF.

30 years ago I would not have felt this way. Now 99% of the sportswriters are garbage.

I absolutely believe that some of the choices of the last 10 years (Warren Moon for example) got in and should NOT have because of thing besides how good they were as players. And Haley and some others are not in BECAUSE they gave the current vermin incrusted POS mediots what they deserve.
  3. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,488 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    I don't think he belongs.

The Cowboys won the 1995 Championship Game without him.
  4. Manster54

Manster54 Active Member

833 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    I do think Haley should eventually be inducted into the hall of fame (but I think LA should get the nod between the two this time around) and I think JJ tried to help Haley's cause by inducting him into the ring of honor.

I liked what Broaddus said about how it was a travesty to Cowboys history for Haley to be inducted into the ring of honor before Beautiful Harvey Martin. I still think Martin was the best pass rusher to wear the star.
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,336 Messages
    999 Likes Received
    Agreed.

Masturbation habits and being a poor teammate aside, the guy was a nightmare for opposing offenses and has more Super Bowl rings than anyone. He'll get in.
  6. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

19,696 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    Warren Moon is a poor example. When he retired he was ranked 3rd in passing yards and 4th in TD passes. He also had a good passer rating, so it was not just about accumulating stats like a Drew Bledsoe or Vinny Testaverde. Moon was deserving on his merits of what he did in the NFL.
  7. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

14,840 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    Moon absolutely belongs in the HOF.
  8. nickjamesw43

nickjamesw43 Active Member

340 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Burm was referencing Moon's off the field stuff. Here's a sampling:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/six-points-moon-not-first-ballot-worthy/5290/

A pair of 1995 incidents should likewise have weighed against Moon. First, he reached an out-of court settlement with a former Vikings cheerleader who alleged that the quarterback had harassed her and forced her to have sex with him. Moon was married and had four children at the time.

Then, according to police in Missouri City, Texas, Moon allegedly struck his wife Felicia in the head and choked her to the point that she was nearly unconscious. He fought the charges of assault in a subsequent jury trial and was acquitted after Felicia told a different story than she had originally. She testified that the argument was her fault and that her injuries may have been self-inflicted.

Not to mention in 2007 he was arrested on suspicion of DUI (charges were later reduced to reckless driving).
  9. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,097 Messages
    801 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  10. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

7,662 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    Haley has better credentials than Dent or Dean, who are already in.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,193 Messages
    776 Likes Received
    that was most of the reason and also I do not consider what Moon did as QB worthy of the HOF.

Now there are QBs who you could argue were worse overall that are in (Namath being the prime example) but that is no excuse
  12. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

22,639 Messages
    360 Likes Received

I am BIG Haley fan.

I recall that he wasnt a major factor in SBXXX - didnt he suffer from back injuries that year. Also he was limited in SBXXX as well.

Get him in there - he deserves it!
  13. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,097 Messages
    801 Likes Received
    :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
  14. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,566 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    wow, so wrong it's not even worth arguing. whether u mean pass rusher reguardless of position or de, haley is no where near 2nd best.
  15. starman22

starman22 Member

124 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I am not sure how old the people are who are posting in this thread are, but if you were around and old enough to appreciate what was going on with the Cowboys at the time, you would realize the importance of Charles Haley. He brought with him the attitude that was needed with a young team trying to find their identity in the 90's. When Jimmy brought him aboard, he was the catalyst that made a good defense great. I don't think the importance of Haley can be overstated. IMO he was that important.

He was the best free agent pickup of the Jimmy Johnson (and quite possibly any other) era.

Just my 2 cents.
  16. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,032 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    I agree 100%...but that doesn't make you a HOFer, just a really important guy in franchise history.
  17. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

7,662 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    Going strictly by what he did on the field, Haley will get in. If not this year, then some other year.

Bold = Hall of Famer

Fred Dean
    4 Pro Bowls, 2 AP 1st Team All-Pro, 2 rings

Richard Dent
    4 Pro Bowls, 1 AP 1st Team All-Pro, SBMVP

Charles Haley
    5 Pro Bowls, 2 AP 1st Team All-Pro, 5 rings
  18. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus

4,298 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Haley's impact was huge, but he's a borderline HOFer IMO. BTW we traded for him. He was not a FA.
  19. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Active Member

835 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    Might sound crazy but IMO, Haley is more deserving of the HOF than the ROH.
  20. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,566 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    exactly. and anyone who thinks he was the 2nd best pass rusher or DE behind Reggie White hasn't seen much football besides cowboys vs eagles/packers