1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Bob Sturm talks Cowboys with David Newbury and Rafael Vela (long)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,512 Messages
    6,259 Likes Received
    My posts are very clear, and pretty obvious. I'm content to let them stand: I see and acknowledge the drafting mistakes. You don't have any special powers of perception, and what you think you're seeing as dancing is not dancing at all.

All that notwithstanding, Vela's chart isn't very useful. There are better ways to make the point that the team we follow is making mistakes and using FA to cover them.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    maybe because Romo has been outstanding for much longer then 1 year.

Maybe because Romo is a QB and Spencer is not.
  3. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,834 Messages
    891 Likes Received
    Thanks WG, great article.
    Great detail of what I believe is a perpetual short term strategy.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,332 Messages
    4,879 Likes Received
    It's 2 separate issues. The fact that Vela's list does not correlate with the point that he is trying to make is a completely separate issue from what the Cowboys have done. I don't see pointing out the flaw with the list as someone making an excuse for the Cowboys.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,896 Messages
    2,144 Likes Received
    Yeah, I noticed that too. On the surface, the list didn't match results.

But part of his point was that if you are not drafting well already (ie, your hit rate is lower) than you need more ammo to get the same results.

This does not apply to "good drafting teams" who can, year after year, get good results with whatever number of picks they have. On the other hand, at least over this 20 year span, you could give Detroit 100 picks and they would still blow it. There was time that their drafting made our look brilliant.

Anyway, I think we've drafted a little more sanely the last 2-3 years.

BTW, I think Ryan pushed heavily to move up for Claiborne. His big complaint was that we had no CBs...so they spent very heavily on two new ones in Claiborne (1st and 2nd rd picks) and Carr (50 million).
    When the defesne still ranked near the bottom, I think Jerry was put out--even though much of the core was gutted with injuries.