1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bobby Carpenter Likes Opportunity Presented in Trade to St. Louis

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Boyzmamacita, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

14,363 Messages
    1,531 Likes Received
    Carpenter Likes Opportunity Presented in Trade to St. Louis

By Steve Wilmoth
    TriCitiesSports.com
    June 26, 2010

ELIZABETHTON – Bobby Carpenter joined the Dallas Cowboys in time for the 2006 season. The first-round draft pick and 18th overall selection that year out of Ohio State struck up an immediate friendship with tight end Jason Witten – one that’s routinely brought Carpenter to Elizabethton the past several years to help with Witten’s annual football camp.

“It’s a pleasure to be here and help Jason again with his camp,” said Carpenter while signing footballs, jerseys and pictures for camp-goers. “It’s another great turn out this year.”

Carpenter was indeed back on Dave Rider Field Saturday but no longer as a Witten teammate. After four years in Dallas, Carpenter was traded on May 10 to the St. Louis Rams for offensive tackle Alex Barron.

“It’s tough to leave on a personal level with a lot of great friends and lot of great players in Dallas, but the defensive opportunity will probably be better for me up there,” explained Carpenter. “I’m excited to go and make the most of it.”

Carpenter will play under first-year head coach Steve Spagnuolo, the architect of the New York Giants defense that shut down the undefeated New England Patriots, 17-14, in Super LXII and first-year defensive coordinator Ken Flajole, the former Carolina Panther linebacker coach.

Witten said it was tough to see his friend leave the Cowboys, but says the new defensive philosophy in St. Louis may be a better fit. Carpenter recorded 96 tackles in the 3-4 Dallas defense in four seasons.

“The trade, that’s part of the business, you understand that,” said Witten. “I think being in a 4-3 might be a better fit for him [Carpenter] and be a better opportunity for him to go to.”

Carpenter said the trade that sent him from Dallas won’t keep him from Elizabethton.

“The kids love it here,” added Carpenter. “They are so passionate and so excited. Their youthful exuberance is something that really brings your energy level up when you see them out here.”
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,561 Messages
    1,422 Likes Received
    LOL! Like he has a choice. Wait till the lambs figure out he is as physical as their towel boy.
  3. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

7,620 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Or watch Bobby be a productive Will in the Rams 4-3 system.
  4. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,462 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    Its like you get off on the idea of the guy failing. I never understand fans like you.
  5. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    should he be rooting for him to succeed in St. Louis after the fact that he didn't do **** as a Cowboy?
  6. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    who cares about him...
  7. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This scheme was a bad fit for Carp and that made him a bad draft choice for us (Thanks Bill :rolleyes: ). It will be interesting to see if he actually does better up there or if all his detractors are right and he simply doesn't have it. I think he must have had something for us to hang on to him for 4 years.

What puzzles me is why we didn't trade him to Miami when we had the chance. BP still wanted him when he traded for the Jersey guy TE (his name escapes me).
  8. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

4,303 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    Barbie will be playing for a bottom dweller and the Cowboys will be playing for a superbowl. Enjoy your new opportunity Barbie
  9. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,788 Messages
    680 Likes Received
    The hatred should be directed at Parcells for drafting Carp in the 1st rd. In hindsight, Carp wasn't even worth a 5th rd pick.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,991 Messages
    5,018 Likes Received
    :signmast:
  11. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yep Bill should have drafted Mangold
  12. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Carp a bad fit?

I'd like to know what LB that shies away from contact is a good fit for any team.
  14. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,490 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I think it's hilarious that people here are Bobby Carpenter apologists after he did absolutely nothing in the way of physicality or athleticism on this team for the better part of 3 to 4 years.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    Have to say this is the more likely scenario.
    Good for him, but I'm happy the Boys moved on as well.
  16. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,317 Messages
    4,211 Likes Received
    He will be a better weak side 4-3 LB than he ever was a LB in our system. He still needs better instincts, angles, and shedding blockers to make it at the next level. He has the quickness and speed to play. He just needs to be tougher. I don't know he has that in him but I don't rule it out. He deserves a chance.
  17. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,503 Messages
    589 Likes Received
    Bobby has played on special teams every year and recorded 45 special teams tackles. He also performed fine in the nickle last season. You can't play special teams in the NFL and not be "physical enough". His issue was his ability to shed the bigger blockers in the base 3-4 defense and still "read and react" efficiently. He was at his best at Ohio State when he was covered up and allowed to flow to the ball and make plays in the 4-3 defense. The weak-side LB role is simply a more natural fit for his talents.

I doubt he will be an all-pro at St. Louis, but this was a square peg in a round hole scenario from the beginning and his failure here is more an indictment of the talent evaluators at Valley Ranch than it is his desire or his work ethic. The guy can play football at the NFL level.
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,531 Likes Received
    I never had hard feelings towards Carpenter. I hope the best for him in St. Louis and hope he can get his career on track playing along side some other OSU LB
  19. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,887 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Well put. The guy never whined or complained while he was in Dallas. I hope he does well with the Rams. I also hope that Barron also thrives in his new environment.
  20. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,490 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Incredible. You should all apply the exact same train of thought to Roy Williams or Ken Hamlin, both of which have never complained or are complaining while in Dallas.