1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Boykin

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Jan 2, 2012.

1. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Ok, good grief.

He covers, he returns kicks and now he catches TD's passes on offense (actually his 2nd)

Months ago I was told by someone at Georgia to watch this kid, I tried to catch as much on him as I could before the season and was impressed. I exchanged my thoughts via PM with several members here how he was my early pet cat.

I'm sitting here watching this Georgia game and all I can think is if there is a poor mans Patrick Peterson in this draft it has to be Boykin.

Every year I have one guy I refuse to move from my mock.......I'm thinking Boykin is claiming that spot. I just sure hope he's not getting so hot that he will be out of our reach in the 2nd.
  2. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,110 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    RB is definitely too high on your wish list man, if we even draft one, it needs to be 6th or 7th
  3. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Don't look at me, look at the trends.

It's a prototypical Cowboys 3rd or 4th round selection.

DeMarco Murray
    Jason Witten
    Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
    Stephen McGee
    Tashard Choice
    Isaih Stanback
    Marion Barber

They love their RB's, their projects and their injury/fallers in those rounds.

James fits that mold.
  4. cielo07

cielo07 Member

80 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    after this game I think Boykin moves into the top to middle two
  5. BruceLee5450

2,110 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I feel you, just saying when a team has this many holes to fill, that position going that high this year isn't very likely
  6. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

I would of said the same thing last year and I know many did before they took Murray.

Given the way it went this season and having to bring in Sammy Morris. Dallas may have been scared back into it.
  7. BruceLee5450

2,110 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    sure, but I think many were tired of Barber & Choice so didn't really surprise me, but that's that.. I can see where you are coming from though, just would hate the pick.. Before we didn't have an every down back & now with Murray we found that piece until he went down due to a freak injury not a nagging one like Felix
  8. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

Felix is a big part of m thinking there as well. I'm starting to doubt his time and roll in Dallas. He is never going to play 16 games "healthy" and if you ask me, I'm not real comfortable with the situation as it is now heading into next year.
  9. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Well-Known Member

676 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    100% agree on Boykin. Felt like he was a safer, smarter version of Janoris Jenkins all year. Saw him as a Soph and put him down as a future 1st rounder. Didn't get why he was rated below guys like Dennard, Minnifield, and Judie.

Jayron Hosley is another favorite. Hopefully he declares and doesn't measure in at 5'8". Provide another option if Boykin climbs into the top of Rd 2.

--

The guys who always seem to stay in my mocks are Mark Zusevics (4th) and Shea McClellin (5th). Though, I expect McClellin will climb after the combine.
  10. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

Another McClellin fan, I love it!
  11. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Love Boykin. Been watching him all year, and he is a perfect fit for this team in 2nd round.

Excellent reutrn guy, and a playmaker. He can be a good corner to place next to Jenkins.

SDogo, if we come away with DeCastro, Boykin, James in the first 3 rounds it will go along way in rebuilding this team. I love the mock.
  12. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,109 Messages
    39 Likes Received

Me neither. Let's face it, the Cowboys top 2 RBs have a history of injuries, wether it's " freakish " or not, going back to their early college careers and that must be taken into consideration.

Having said that, the Cowboys themselves are in a catch 22 situation, and I'm not talking about Emmitt Smith 22. They know the history of their 2 guys, but with other more significant needs, would they be wise to spend a 3rd round pick on a guy who'll probably be a special team, part time player ? It's not as easy as just going by the measurables, the mental side of it ( as much as that can be measured ) needs to come in as well. Will his attitude change when he doesn't see the field much ? That was the problem with Tashard Choice in the last legs of his career in Dallas. Could he turned it on at any given time or place and don't get frustrated when he must return to the sidelines for long periods of time ?

Ideally the player to have there is a Darren Sproles type, ie: a young veteran with some experience who knows and accepts his role on the team. Oddly enough Felix Jones could be the that guy IF the front office and coaching staff ( not to mention the owner, perhaps ) get the idea out of their heads that he's a featured guy. From my prespective, Felix himself wouldn't have a big problem with it, but the message from management has to be clear. None of this wishy-washy garbage that because he's a former #1 draft pick he " must be " a go-to guy.
  13. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I was concerned about his height, but 5'10" really isn't too short. I was thinking all this time that he was closer to 5'8"-5'9". He would be a great pickup in round 2 if he makes it there.
  14. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,472 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Boykin is my biggest pet cat this year.

I want him in the 2nd. He is a playmaker at all sides of the field. He is exactly the type of guy we need in our secondary. I'd feel just fine with him and Jenkins.

Not to go all Tebow, but the guy just makes plays.
  15. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Not if the Cowboys trade Felix. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen. James is probably faster and more explosive than Felix, and doesn't seem to have the same injury concerns.
  16. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,472 Messages
    174 Likes Received

I think he is definitely both.

I never liked the Felix draft pick, but I'm done "ruing" that.

I don't really like the injury issues though. I'd rather take a fast back later on that may not be as good, but is reliable. Tired of RB injuries.
  17. BruceLee5450

2,110 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    maybe man, but 3rd round on a team that needs to fill a ton of holes is reaching..
  18. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Depends on what we get for Felix if he is traded. A 3rd for him isn't too far fetched, so it would almost be an even swap if it worked out that way.
  19. montgod

montgod Active Member

1,846 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Unfortunately I see JJ being like Al Davis and keeping Felix just to not admit he made a homer pick instead of a good one. And no way Dallas gets a third for an oft injured Rb when rbs seem to grow on trees now.
  20. BruceLee5450

2,110 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    lol, I think we all learned after Jerry admitted the failure of the Roy Williams trade by releasing him that JJ is changing his ways in that aspect hopefully