1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

BPA is the way to go.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by mmillman, Feb 21, 2012.

1. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Dallas would do well drafting whom they think is the best player available when they pick. If they feel DeCastro is a can't miss guard take him over the questionable cb IMO.

The more spots you dominate, particularly in the trenches, the better your team is. Dallas was dominant in the 90's due to offensive and defensive lines that made the "talent" behind them play better.

2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

86,156 Messages
    8,787 Likes Received
    I think all teams try to do both. BPA that also fills a need. It is not by accident teams in need of QB will draft a QB or a team in need of WR will draft a WR. Clearly you don't want to reach and you don't want to draft soley on need but need will always play a part in who teams will draft.

3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

33,483 Messages
    35,398 Likes Received
    That has more to do with players being grouped together with the same grade. With hundreds of prospects available, you're not going to have them all separated by grades.

I have no problem letting need dictate the pick within the same group of equally graded players. But you should never dip below that and select a need.

4. Doomsday101

86,156 Messages
    8,787 Likes Received
    I agree. I don't want to see Dallas reaching for a player soley on need of a certain position but need will always play a part not just in Dallas but across the league. Which is why most of these mock drafts are not that far off the mark since need is taken into account

5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

30,902 Messages
    7,341 Likes Received
    That's my philosophy as well.
    If they stray too far from BPA for neeed (i.e. out of their mini-tier) I get frustrated.

I've always believed that it does a team no good to pick for need if those players end up nopt being good enough to play for many years.

In the end though, a lot comes down to how well te team evaluted it's picks. Just becasue a team (or scouting service) rates a player highly--as we know--does not at all mean that the player will trun out that way.

6. Risen Star

33,483 Messages
    35,398 Likes Received
    It doesn't always play a part. The Packers didn't draft Aaron Rodgers because of need. He was simply a value selection.

IMO, you can judge a guy's draft IQ by how much they focus on need. If you treat it as if it's veteran free agency, you're setting yourself up to fail.

7. Doomsday101

86,156 Messages
    8,787 Likes Received
    I disagree, Brett was getting up in age and I think they saw a top player who graded out high and was in their near term plans. I think reaching for players to fill a need is a big mistake. I think teams do take their needs into consideration and while it should not be the sole factor it does play a part.

As for getting players in FA that can help things out it also tend to be vastly more expensive as FA tend to get over valued.

8. Risen Star

33,483 Messages
    35,398 Likes Received
    If they were drafting for need, certainly it made more sense to use their 1st round pick on a player that can help them win now with Brett. Not a guy who is going to sit on the bench with no chance to produce for who knows how long.

When there's a player at the top of your board graded better than the rest, need plays no part in the decision. Maybe for a bad poorly run team, but not a contender.

9. Doomsday101

86,156 Messages
    8,787 Likes Received
    Some teams like bringing the QB along instead of throwing them to the wolves. Most position you will try to start them right off the bat at QB that is not always the case or mindset of some teams.

10. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

8,023 Messages
    2,767 Likes Received
    Dallas needs help at every position except WR and RB. I like the odds that the BPA will help right away.

11. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

965 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    Rogers was the number one guy on allot of draft boards that year. When he fell into the 20s he almost had to be the bpa. I still dont get why he fell like that. Right up until draft day everyone thought he has going number one. BPA is some what subjective. If trent richardson and decastro are sitting there at 14, and trent is the higher rated guy do you draft him with murry and felix on the team when there is a glaring need at guard? id go decastro .

12. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

8,023 Messages
    2,767 Likes Received
    My draft day dream scenario would be DeCastro, Coples, and Kuechly all sitting there at 14. I take Coples at that point. :D

13. Doomsday101

86,156 Messages
    8,787 Likes Received
    Same here. No accident that when Capers went to GB in 09 and was installing the 3-4 their 1st 2 picks was Raji at 1 and traded up to get Matthews. No one is trading up get get a player they don't need

14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

30,902 Messages
    7,341 Likes Received
    You probably trade your pick to a team who's dying to get Richardson at that point.
    The bottom line is to get at least fair value (according to your team's ranking, not anyone elses) for each pick.

15. Tex

Tex Active Member

558 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    The problem with BPA that also fills a need is that it works fine at the very top of the draft where you are weighing the top OG versus the top CB etc...

farther down you may really need a CB (most everyone does) but now you are still weighing the best OG versus the 3'rd best CB or 3'rd best pass rusher. Are you really better addressing that area of need with teh 2'nd 3rd or 4th best available player at that position versus a potential pro bowl player at a position you didnt view as a "need".

I think that year in and year out the best drafting teams stick tighter to their board. They build competition and depth by drafting BPA and dont reach for lesser players. You try and draft to your board and try and fill in holes in FA without over paying.

Tex

16. Doomsday101

86,156 Messages
    8,787 Likes Received
    I do think later in the draft from 3rd on BPA regardless of position does make sense.

17. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Most teams preach BPA but practice 'modified BPA'. Every team has a few positions they're not considering in the first round.

18. Doomsday101

86,156 Messages
    8,787 Likes Received
    True. I would also say teams for the most part expect 1st rd players to start which indicates they are taking their own needs into account.

19. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

10,835 Messages
    3,738 Likes Received
    Lets hope we dot draft Trent Richardson,i will be ok with RG3 though.