1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BR:2012 NFL Draft: Dallas Cowboys Should Select NT Dontari Poe in First

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 11, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    RoundBy Christian Blood(Featured Columnist) on March 11, 2012 423 reads

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNext Dontari Poe, 6'4" 345lbs.
    [IMG]
    There are only a small number of humans on planet Earth that are capable of doing what a particular young prospect out of the University of Memphis can do. For that matter, there are only a limited number of humans that are even built like this particular defensive tackle.

Dontari Poe raised more than a few eyebrows as he ran the 40-yard dash in under five seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine last month. Granted, a lot of guys accomplished the same feat but none of them weighed in at just under 350 pounds!

Seriously?
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    :lmao:

Only few humans can be surprisingly unproductive in one of the weakest conferences in all of football.

Sweet. Awesome Combine numbers. His play doesn't warrant a 1st round pick at all.

The only reason people knew who he was prior to the combine was because of his size, strength and speed. Now that he's shown that off and confirmed what people believed, he's a top prospect?

Sorry, this guy doesn't deserve to be taken in the 1st round. If Dallas takes him, it'll be laughable. Maybe he develops into a player, maybe he doesn't but the risk is far too big to even consider him in the 1st round.
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    I can see them do it if he's available.
  4. cowboyjoe

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Poe = Mike Mamula
  6. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    "Poe is a nose guard, no matter what scheme he's playing in. He's likely not a three down player and I can assure you that Poe saw nothing but double and triple teams in college, especially over the last two seasons. I don't know this because I have watched every play Poe has been a part of but rather because of common sense."

:laugh2:
  7. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,663 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Well he is definitely polarizing, with definite boom or bust potential. His potential is high enough that he could be the best DL in the NFL or the worse. One thing is true, someone will take a chance on him, we only have one guy on our DL that even got over 30 bench reps at the combine (Coleman).

BTW, he was already mocked in the 1st round before the combine, so after it won't make him drop out of the 1st round, there is a high probability he won't even be there when we draft.

Totally different cases, Mamula was projected a 3rd rounder before his combine and shot up. Back then, they did put alot on his combine, but I haven't seen someone jump that high these days after the combine.

Ware also shot up after the combine, but was projected around what Poe was before his combine. He turned out ok.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,181 Messages
    4,613 Likes Received
    I don't get the anti-Poe stuff either. I'd love to have the guy. I won't predict he'll be great but I certainly to think he'll be at least good.
  9. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,439 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    Yep. A NT whole purpose is to hold the line, not get moved, and allow the ILBs to make all the plays. Pretty simple really .
  10. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    I like Poe but BR is utter garbage.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I get the anti-Poe stuff . He was a combine great that didn't back it up on the field .
  12. cowboyjoe

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    :laugh2: Yeah, Hostile cant stand it either. :starspin
  13. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,390 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    This.
  14. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I think Poe will be decent in the NFL, but not worth a top 15 selection.
  15. Deep_Freeze

6,663 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Well I could see him being a better pro than college player, just too easy to take a guy like him out of a college game.

Athletically he is equal or above most of the big guys who have came into the NFL recently with numbers as good or better than a Ngata, Cody, Raji, etc. Since guys like him are rare, we couldn't even think about him at #14 if he didn't have holes. If the risk wasn't there, he would be top 5.

We would be foolish not to at least take a look at him in the draft, if available, cause of the upside alone. He would be the 3rd freak we drafted in a row, can't say I would be against that.
  16. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,181 Messages
    4,613 Likes Received
    That's not exactly true. I would agree his on field play was not par with a top 15 pick but he's been projected to the second round for awhile. And of course he was upgraded from the #3 DL to the #1 post combine. His athletic skills are unique for someone as big and strong as he is.

He was an ok college player on a bad team. I think its normal for his reviews to be mixed and I'd agree he has more potential to not quite play up to his present status than some other picks in his range. I got news for some. He's going to go very high and I suspect he won't be there when we pick. My guess is they would have to trade up for him. I'd love for them to have to decide about him at 14.

If I had to guess, I'd say we look as pass rusher at 14 then DL then CB then OL. All predicated on what happens in FA and who's there when we pick. We're going to get a good player.
  17. Deep_Freeze

6,663 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Yeah guess I have said it before, but I see the possibility low of him being there at 14. The potential is just too high for him at a position that is one of the hardest to fill in football.

If successful, guys like that just don't hit free agency, thus if you have the chance to draft one, you better at least take a long hard look at it. Upside is limitless on Dez and Tyron, having another young guy like that, especially in the front 7 of this D, has be attractive to a guy like Jerry.
  18. Hoofbite

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    I saw him projected in the 2nd round tops. Hell, he shot up like 35+ spots in one of the top 100s over at nfl.com
  19. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,691 Messages
    1,498 Likes Received
    I dont get the anti Poe stuff either. The Mamula comparison is laughable. Think if they go D Line it will be Brockers or Cox any way. FA will tell the tale.
  20. Hoofbite

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    I dunno if I fall into the "anti Poe" crowd. I'm not specifically "anti Poe", I'm "anti unproductive".

I just don't think THIS team should gamble on a guy who did so little on the field.