1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: BR: Cowboys Should Save Every Penny They Have Until 2015

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NewsBot, Jun 26, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

29,284 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    [IMG]A report this week from ESPN.com's Calvin Watkins stated that the once cap-broke Dallas Cowboys now actually have approximately $8.5 million in salary-cap space, which according to Watkins is better than NFC East rivals New York and Washington.

And that jives with numbers provided by Over the Cap, which estimates the 'Boys are slightly above the league median with $8.3 million in space.

[IMG]

Naturally, because the Cowboys have some glaring needs on defense and haven't been able to spend much on the open market the last few years, fans and the media are curious to see if Jerry Jones and Co. will take advantage of the space they now have—Miles Austin only came off the books a few weeks ago—by making some pre-training camp moves.

But the Cowboys have to resist that temptation. They have to maintain the status quo and avoid splurging on any of the recycled veterans still lingering on the free-agent market. If we're beyond the June solstice and you're still available, there's a reason for that.

Sure, the Cowboys have benefited from summer or even fall additions in recent years. In 2011, Laurent Robinson wasn't signed until September, but he put together an 858-yard, 11-touchdown campaign. And George Selvie had seven sacks in 16 starts last year despite not being added to the roster until late-July.

But first of all, those were bargain-basement deals, just like the one they probably gave to guard Uche Nwaneri on Tuesday. Proven players like Jason Babin, Brian Urlacher, Pat Angerer and Jonathan Vilma wouldn't be as cheap or easy to bring in.

But more importantly, the Cowboys have already done their bargain shopping this year. They've gone out and identified players who they think can be Selvie-type contributors, and they've signed those guys. That's why Terrell McClain, Jeremy Mincey and Henry Melton are now on the roster.

Rod Marinelli is a magician when it comes to coaching up defensive linemen, and the offense is already secure. The linebacking corps could use help, especially with Sean Lee out, but that's why quality draft picks have been used in four consecutive years on Bruce Carter, Kyle Wilber, DeVonte Holloman and Anthony Hitchens. And as Watkins notes, Dallas leads the league in cap space devoted to cornerbacks at $22.7 million, so any more investments there would be silly.

Keep in mind that cap space can now be carried over from year to year with no penalty. So this isn't a case in which they'd lose it if they didn't use it. And the reality is that the Cowboys are going to need every penny they currently have in order to keep this roster in good shape while remaining fiscally healthy next spring.

Only the Pittsburgh Steelers will enter next year with more dead money than Dallas, which is one reason why Over the Cap projects that they'll kick off the 2015 offseason with the eighth-highest team salary total in the NFL.

[IMG]

And while there remains some wiggle room in Tony Romo's contract, the quarterback's projected cap hit for the 2015 campaign is $27.7 million, which according to Spotrac is the highest number in the league.

[IMG]

On top of that, Dez Bryant, DeMarco Murray and Bruce Carter are slated to become unrestricted free agents next March. With another big season, precedents indicate Bryant could cost upwards of $14 million per year, and Murray would also be quite costly if he were to deliver in 2014. Carter is a wild card, but he's a starter nonetheless, and stud left tackle Tyron Smith will also be entering the final year of his rookie deal in 2015.

[IMG]

If the Cowboys are going to shore up this roster for years to come, they can't afford to splurge on pieces of scrap metal right now.

The Eagles won the division title last year with a roster built almost entirely in-house. Homegrown guys like Nick Foles, DeSean Jackson, LeSean McCoy, Riley Cooper, Jason Kelce, Lane Johnson, Trent Cole, Fletcher Cox and Brandon Boykin led the way.

One year prior, the Redskins did the same thing with Robert Griffin III, Alfred Morris, Trent Williams, Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan.

The Seahawks won the Super Bowl with a team built almost entirely through the draft, and the Patriots and Packers are perennial contenders despite usually neglecting free agency.

The Cowboys have been forced to stay away in recent years, but you get the feeling the organization is finally beginning to realize that the best way to get back to where they once were is to trust in their own guys—that includes the players, the coaches and the talent evaluators.

This team has shown a lot of maturity this offseason. Letting DeMarcus Ware go wasn't a popular move, but it was the right one, and they knew not to overspend in order to keep Jason Hatcher on the wrong side of 30.

Now they have to be disciplined and remain confident in what they've built in recent drafts by limiting their spending. They'll thank themselves when the check comes for Bryant and others next March.

Read more Dallas Cowboys news on BleacherReport.com

Continue reading...
  2. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

1,417 Messages
    775 Likes Received
    correct me if im wrong, but they have to use 95% of the cap iirc? that means they need to spend some in order to meet that I believe
  3. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,522 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    I thought it was 80%? I guess I am wrong.
  4. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,643 Messages
    1,103 Likes Received
    I believe that's one in four years. Cowboys don't need to worry on that.
    djmajestik likes this.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,310 Messages
    4,844 Likes Received
    The minimum spend is a different calculation than cap space. It based on cash spend and is based on an average over 4 years. The Cowboys have been way over on cash spending the past 3couple years which would allow them to be low in that area for awhile the average comes down near the minimum spend amount.

Having said the above, it's highly unlikely that the Cowboys will ever be low on the cash spend calculation in any year.
    pancakeman likes this.
  6. xwalker

12,310 Messages
    4,844 Likes Received
    In regards to the article, it would be difficult to overspend at this time of year. The expensive free agents are already off the market.

FYI, BleacherReport is garbage.
  7. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,643 Messages
    1,103 Likes Received
    Yeah, it's a dumb article. If they spend cap room it will be on Bryant and/or Smith.
    radioactivecowboy88 and NJ22 like this.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,133 Messages
    4,330 Likes Received
    That can't be right, can it? Dallas has the 2nd most dead money in the league next year?
  9. xwalker

12,310 Messages
    4,844 Likes Received
    Nobody knows what the dead money will be this far in advance. The Cowboys have dead money this season from Ware being cut in the spring. That would not have shown up at this time last year.

The Cowboys most likely have the least dead money in 20152015 that they've had in seveal years. It was 30M in 2013 and over 20M this season. It will probably be between 5.5M and 11M in 2015 depending on what happens with Free and Orton. The only definite dead money in 2015 at this time is 5.5M from Austin being a post June 1 cut. Free is a free agent but had voidable years added to the end of his contract which will result in dead money if his is not re-signed. There will bee some dead money if Orton is cut.
  10. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,454 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    It's correct as of right now, we're on the books for about 5.1 in dead money for Austin. But that can and will probably change over the course of the year as teams cut players.
  11. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,375 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    Dead money is all relative. If you create 30m in space by restructuring and end up with 20m in Dead money, it's still better than having 0m in Dead money with 0m in cap space.

People always forget about the smaller cap hits a player with Dead money had during the life of their contract. Dware has 8.5m in dead money, but they saved around 3m on his cap hit for multiple years when the overall cap was a lot lower.
  12. daveferr33

daveferr33 Well-Known Member

380 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    Right. For example, if Romo suffers a career ending injury this season, then I believe he will count for 37 million in dead money next season (based on over the cap's numbers).

Or if Sean Lee can't make it back, that would be about 9.8 million in dead money.
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,194 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    Isn't that basically what happened with both Aikman and Irvin...crippling the Cowboys salary caps for a few years?
  14. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

1,109 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    That can't mean that we would have a 37mil cap hit if that happened. Can it?
    Is it spread out over several years?
  15. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

1,109 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    And can we please not ever mention that scenario again. ^^^^
  16. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,704 Messages
    296 Likes Received
    very true. the money we can and should spend is money to lock up our young player
  17. daveferr33

380 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    My understanding is that the retirement of a player is treated the same as the release of a player. Thus, if Tony is forced to retire because of injury, then his accelerated cap hit in 2015 would be around 37 million.

Source: http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Tony Romo&Position=QB&Team=Cowboys

There are plenty people here that will tell you this is a fine (and even superior) way to do business. It seems a little risky to me.
  18. xwalker

12,310 Messages
    4,844 Likes Received
    If Romo had to be cut due to injury, his very large base salary would be gone. This would basically offset the dead money. The dead money would be spread over 2 years.

Because his base salaries are more than the dead money for those 2 years, the Cowboys would actually have more cap space without him if they replaced him with a 1st round pick.
  19. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,375 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    Depends on when the injury happened. Half of his 2015 salary is already guaranteed and the other half guarantees on the third day of the League year in March 2015. After 2015, none of his salary is guaranteed.
  20. daveferr33

380 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    I have no idea where you get your numbers and you cite no sources. So I don't know if you're correct or what method you employed to get there. I want to be correct. I could care less if my beliefs are right. My research leads me to believe what I posted. You make blank statements that I can't verify. I have no idea who is correct at this point.

I am not disagreeing with you necessarily, I just honestly don't know, but would like to.