1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Brad Ecklund, former Cowboys asst coach, died Feb 6

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by fgoodwin, Feb 11, 2010.

1. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,165 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Sorry, I just saw this:

Brad Ecklund, former NFL player and coach

Posted on Wed, Feb. 10, 2010
    By Claudia Vargas
    Inquirer Staff Writer

Brad Ecklund, 87, of Vincentown, a former NCAA and NFL football player who coached the Eagles' offensive line in the 1970s, died Saturday of congestive heart failure at Samaritan Hospice in Mount Holly.

Standing 6-foot-4 and weighing 225 pounds for most of his playing years, Mr. Ecklund combined power and endurance to become an offensive machine for the University of Oregon and in the NFL.

When he graduated in 1949, he was offered pro football contracts by the NFL's Green Bay Packers and the All-America Football Conference's New York Yankees. Mr. Ecklund went for a higher salary with the Yankees.

He stayed with the franchise, which became the Dallas Texans and then the Baltimore Colts, moving to the NFL. All were ranked among the worst teams in pro football history.

After retiring as a player in 1953, Mr. Ecklund coached high school football in Portland, Ore., and at Oregon for two seasons before becoming an NFL assistant coach in 1960.

He worked for the Dallas Cowboys, Atlanta Falcons, and New Orleans Saints before joining the Eagles in 1971.

[excerpted]

[IMG]

Image source: The Vintage Football Card Gallery
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,116 Messages
    3,140 Likes Received
    I wish I had a list of all of our former Coaching Staff. I had never heard of him.

Thanks Fred. RIP.
  3. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,165 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I don't know of an electronic source, but the annual Cowboys media guide lists all head coaches, assistant coaches and players (if ever on the active roster) from the beginning in 1960.

It doesn't list scouts, and that's a list I'd really like to see, because we had at least one notable ex-player act as a scout for us in the early days. I'm aware of Bucko Kilroy, but there may have been others.
  4. k19

k19 Active Member

2,958 Messages
    3 Likes Received
  5. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,165 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I even commented in that thread and totally forgot about it -- thanx for the reminder!