1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Breaking Down the ‘Boys: Should the Cowboys give Anthony Spencer a long-term deal?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Dec 19, 2012.

1. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,173 Messages
    766 Likes Received
    need more on the O line then that. Do we really have a center that can be above average? Highly questionable. Same with Guard.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,552 Messages
    2,728 Likes Received
    Yeah, it'd help if that interior OL was a player like Mack who can play both OC and OG at a decent level. There are a lot of moving parts with Costa in terms of both injury and the fact that we didn't get to evaluate his improvement much at all this year.

We don't need two new OGs, though I wouldn't be opposed to more mid-round guys we can develop along the OL.
  3. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,348 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Tuff ****, they don't need to be held hostage by players and their contracts, especially those who are likely in their twilight years. I also think its a nice reversal of course for players to realize fat contracts will no longer be handed out like candy at Halloween.

While i dont like the cap hit, I like the flexibility the franchise tag gives the organization unless a very favorable contract can be signed that won't trap them if his performance drops off or age related injuries start to kick in
  4. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,137 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    Although I am against signing Spencer long term due to his age and amount already being paid to Ware & Carr and upcoming contracts of Lee (next year) and Bruce Carter the year after.

Spencer agent Jordan Woy has good relationship with Stephan Jones.

"The thing about Jordan is that he creates a lot of trust and faith simply because he's a total straight-shooter," says Stephen Jones, Dallas Cowboys executive vice president. "He's unusual in that he consistently wants to do what is right for the player, and not get every last buck. Actually, Jordan is one of the guys in his business that I actually look forward to working with."

Also Jordan Woy is also agent for Jason Hatcher, Victor Butler, Dan Bailey. So Woy will be in Stephen office quiet a bit over next two years.
  5. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

2,741 Messages
    803 Likes Received
    I don't think they can. Carr's contract escalates quickly after this year, Austin is making a crap load, and Romo is coming up, as well. They have most of their cap next year spent on about 40 something players. They will need to get on the ball and change it up.