1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Breaking Down the ‘Boys: The real reason for the Cowboys’ offensive struggles

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Oct 12, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,666 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    The league’s best offensive coordinators work like magicians, using sleight of hand to perpetually confuse defenses. They pass when the defense expects a run, and vice versa. To do that, coordinators must sometimes utilize “sub-optimal” personnel in order to trick the defense. Passing the ball from tight end-heavy, run-oriented formations isn’t inherently advantageous, for example, but it often works because it surprises defenders.

I think Jason Garrett has improved in some areas as a coordinator, but utilizing the element of surprise isn’t one of them. Garrett preaches execution from his players, frequently using his bigger personnel packages to run the ball and the smaller ones to throw it.

The problem is that the Cowboys aren’t the only team on the field. In theory, the offense is at their “best” when passing with four or five receivers on the field, for example, but defenses compensate for various personnel packages, negating any advantage the offense might have owned. Thus, it’s sometimes in the Cowboys’ best interest to pass with no more than two receivers on the field (or, on the flip side, run from pass-oriented packages).

Don’t believe me? Below, I’ve listed the Cowboys’ passing stats that I’ve collected thus far in 2012, broken down by personnel. As a quick refresher, the first number in the personnel package indicates the number of running backs on the field and the second is the number of tight ends. Thus, “22” personnel is two running backs, two tight ends, and a wide receiver, “11” personnel is one running back, one tight end, and three receivers, and so on.

22 – 4 for 5 for 59 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT — 115.8 rating — 11.8 YPA
    12 – 8 for 12 for 136 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT – 97.9 rating — 11.3 YPA
    21 – 14 for 20 for 199 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT — 114.4 rating — 10.0 YPA
    11 – 77 for 110 787 yards, 3 TD, 4 INT — 84.2 rating — 7.2 YPA
    10 – 3 for 9 for 33 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT — 5.6 rating — 3.7 YPA

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...son-for-the-cowboys-offensive-struggles.html/
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,666 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    Well written, reasoned, and on the money.
  3. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,598 Messages
    2,474 Likes Received
  4. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    It's stunning to read so many opinions from fans who think we should go 4 and 5 wide a lot more. The only thing I can think of is they want to see Orton play a lot sooner.
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    Agreed.

Teams who go 4 and 5 wide have to in order to make mismatches to get guys open. With the weapons we have, we should be going max protect and letting Dez, Miles, and I'd still argue Felix, make plays.
  6. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,429 Messages
    1,029 Likes Received
    Been griping about this this for 6 years with Garrett. We are too predictable. In fact wasn't it Baltimore in the last game at Tx stadium, all the players were saying this. It's been how many years and Garrett isn't learning?

No this isn't a bash on the HC, it's one on the OC. He's lousy at it.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure that Philly said they knew ALL of our hots after the '08 week 17 win-and-in game that we got blown out in.
  8. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

Not to mention it's a good way to get your QB killed. Especially this team which has enough problems getting it done while in max protect.
  9. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,429 Messages
    1,029 Likes Received
    You are correct. And because Romo is superman half the time he hides a lot of the flaws in the OC. We look like we are a great offense, stats wise, but any casual fan should know its a mirage. We are a mess and have been for years!
  10. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,093 Messages
    1,940 Likes Received
    Multiple teams have said this over different years.
  11. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,598 Messages
    2,474 Likes Received
    How many people have you guys seen in the game threads be able to accurately predict what play is going to be called? i am not talking run/pass. I am talking route combinations/protections/ running plays etc.

I see a lot of people claim that they can predict what is going to be run but i have yet to see anyone put their money where their mouth is and pull it off.
  12. AZBOYZFAN

AZBOYZFAN Member

123 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ya cause Romo never changes any of the plays that Garrett gives him. O in fact hasn't Callahan said for Romo NOT to change the play sooo many times? I thought so
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    That's a pretty high standard.

No to mention whether or not we as fans can do it even if we had all the information available to the team, let alone the broadcast cam, is pretty irrelevant.

If fans can pretty much guess a run or a pass on any given down it's not some large leap of faith to think that opposing players and coaches go a few steps beyond that.
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,816 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Red has had alot of tells in his formations and personal packs over the years. It's been a weakness that he really hasn't fully solved.

Some self scouting should show that.
  15. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,394 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    This has been obvious for a long time. I'm anxiously awaiting the next jumbo package attempt that will inevitably gets stuffed up the middle, killing another scoring opportunity.
  16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,864 Messages
    2,342 Likes Received
    so because fans on the internet cant, DCs of other teams who spend their whole time breaking down your tendencies cant either?
    :banghead: