1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: BREAKING NEWS: TO reportedly attempted suicide...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by trickblue, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Benched

229 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks!!!

Rather talk about Football, Cowboys, and T.O. mystery rather than hear about your thoughts or others about God or lack there of.
  2. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Deion just said Owens denied it was a suicide attempt.
  3. JVita17

JVita17 Benched

1,340 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Now if the Cowboys loose all you guys on here "wishing luck" to T.O. will suddenly blame the guy for the big L if we do loose
  4. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Goo. I think I just posted this, but this thread is moving so fast I can't see that it went through. Anyhow, I'll repost it to clarify my earlier remarks and sorry if it is in here twice:
    ___

After looking over my O'Connor's Criminal Codes, I see that 22.08 of the Texas Penal Code makes aiding suicide a state jail felony.

There is nothing in the Texas Penal Code itself about suicide. As I said earlier, my memory retains a vestigial memory of Prof. Palacios telling us about murder which is 19.02 of the Texas Penal Code and commenting that suicide is analyzed under that statute, thus rendering a specific suicide statute superfluous. Murder is defined as "intentionally or knowingly causing the death of an individual; intending to cause serious bodily injury and commits an act clearly dangers to human life that causes death of an individuals; or causes the death of an individual during the commission of a felony."

I did a Westlaw search to refresh my memory. I read a few cases, including Wilson v. Brister, in which it appears my memory was remembering just enough to get me into trouble. Suicide is considered a common law crime to the extent it does violate the common law definition of murder. In Texas, suicide is not considered a violation of the Penal code. However, in other respects, it is considered "illegal." This a silly legal distinction that comes into play in a scenario such as where a surviving family sues a medical provider for not diagnosing suicidal tendencies. In that situation, the act of suicide is considered a common law crime that eliminates the causal connection.

So, after refreshing my memory, my initial distinction is probably not correct. It appears clear to me from reading the code and case, suicide is not considered by the police to be a crime, but assisting suicide is. Thus, the police would inquire into the situation to determine if anyone was assisting him, and if he is not, they would end their investigation as there would not be a criminal issue. The only other thing they would be interested in is whether the drugs were legally acquired. My guess is they satisfied those two inquiries and concluded there was not a crime at issue.
  5. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If (IF) TO took 35 pills I assume he wont be at practice anytime soon - it seems logical that confinement and mental evaluations will be in his near future. That would be hard to explain away.
  6. JVita17

JVita17 Benched

1,340 Messages
    0 Likes Received

official??
  7. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Mystery surrounds T.O. illness By CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer
    Chat live with Jennifer Floyd Engel at 12:30 today.
    Startle Grams: It's K.O. time for T.O.
    The narrative from the Dallas police report
    Philly.com blog
    T.O. timeline: A season of turmoil
    DALLAS -- Did Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens try to commit suicide by taking as many as 35 prescription pain pills?

Or did a police report inaccurately classify a call to Owens' Dallas home as an attempted suicide?

On Wednesday morning, Owens' publicist vehemently denied that he intentionally tried to harm himself Tuesday night.

She attributed Owens' statement to officers that he was trying to harm himself to the fact that he was groggy from mixing pain pills with supplements.

Kim Etheridge, Owens' publicist, was described in the report as "a woman companion" who said she observed him putting two pills in his mouth."

The picture could become clearer at 1:30 p.m., when coach Bill Parcells holds his regularly scheduled news conference.

A brief news conference by police did little to clarify the situation.

Lt. Rick Watson, a Dallas police spokesman, said police are conducting no investigation of the events at Owens' home.

He described it as "a medical situation" and said any further information would not come from police. He also indicated that the police report had been released prematurely.

He declined to answer questions or to verify the accuracy of the police report, although he did pass out redacted copies.

"This is a high-profile person," Watson said. "We looked into it and determined that there was not a criminal offense in this incident."

"We would do it the exact same way" no matter who was involved, he said.

Owens was being treated at Baylor University Medical Center.

Etheridge said he "is fine."

"He will be leaving the hospital today," she said.

According to the police narrative, the woman said the prescription of 40 pills was filled on Sept. 18 and, until Tuesday, Owens had taken only five pills.

The police report said Owens was asked if he had taken the rest of the prescription. Owens said, "Yes."

According to the report, police also asked if he was trying to harm himself. Owens answered, "Yes."

Etheridge said she called 911 because Owens was groggy and lethargic.

She said he was in pain stemming from the fractured right hand, suffered against Washington two weeks ago.

He underwent surgery to have a plate and three pins placed in the hand last Monday.

Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said at the time that Owens was having a bad reaction to the pain medication.

Etheridge said Owens experienced more pain and discomfort Tuesday.

He took some pain pills and did some "microcurrent" treatment.

She said he also took some supplements and "it kicked in a reaction."

"When I went to grab him, he was out of it," Etheridge said. "That's why I called 911."

Etheridge said Owens did not have his stomach pumped at the hospital and did not vomit.

Staff writer Bill Miller contributed to this report.
  8. Dallas22

Dallas22 New Member

418 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is it 100% that T.O. was released from the hospital yet???

I work in a hospital and when someone tries to kill themselves, they are a "Baker Act" which means that they must stay for at least 72 hours for observation. Unless they let T.O. out of the hospital because he is famous, this doesn't sound like a suicide case.

I still think that T.O. has some screws loose, and this story can be true OR untrue, we all really don't know what's going on. If this story is false and T.O. just had an allergic reaction, then the media wil have to eat a big crap sandwich. By this afternoon and for sure in the next couple of days, more of the truths will come out and I am only hoping for the best for the COWBOYS and for T.O.

GO COWBOYS!!!

Dallas22
  9. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,229 Messages
    7,059 Likes Received
    No we would just go back to blaming Bledsoe, the OL, JJ, Roy, et al. Because no one player is bigger than the team.

Even though this life situation seems to be bigger than everything we could've thought of up to this point, I still wouldn't blame TO. The other players have to step up and just stay focused on whoever is the upcoming opponent.