Breer: What The Cowboys Learned from Picking Prescott

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Plankton, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

5,858 Messages
    5,228 Likes Received
    Pretty much came here to say this as I've said it for years.

If a QB is being considered for the draft, he can likely make all the throws he needs to be successful.

It's between the ears that matters most; and not just from an intelligence standpoint. It's the character makeup.

The it factor may be hard to quantify at times, as a talent evaluator if you see it up close and person you better not ignore it.

2. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

7,232 Messages
    4,483 Likes Received
    well thats not intangibles

3. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

2,649 Messages
    1,384 Likes Received
    If they're applying these lessons to this year's QB crop, it wouldn't surprise me if Dashaun Watson is the top QB on their board.

drawandstrike and waving monkey like this.
  4. waving monkey

7,232 Messages
    4,483 Likes Received
    I would hope it changes the way college QB's go about their biddness. It won't but there's gold in them there hills.

Bullflop likes this.
  5. waving monkey

7,232 Messages
    4,483 Likes Received
    I agree however we all can be in a room and the "man" stands out.

Bullflop and Ntegrase96 like this.
  6. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

11,613 Messages
    6,584 Likes Received
    That it is better to be lucky than good

cowboyblue22 likes this.
  7. HeavyBarrel

HeavyBarrel Well-Known Member

3,085 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    I didn't read it but did it mention taking healthy, productive players from big schools?

8. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

8,456 Messages
    5,304 Likes Received
    I'm not certain if you call it fortunate, or serendipitous, or down right lucky, but Romo getting hurt in the preseason game paved the path for the development of Dak at the pro level. He is a work in progress right now. But from where he started, if he lives up to the potential most of this board sees, he will end up as one of the truly greats of this game.

Pity for Romo he couldn't go out on top. But he took some other buy's job, so that is the nature of the beast.

drawandstrike likes this.
  9. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

2,310 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    McClay wanted to take like half a dozen QBs over Dak.

10. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

31,746 Messages
    16,206 Likes Received
    I think they're also realizing and admitting there was also luck involved in getting him. And you can't count on that same luck all the time.

drawandstrike, Bullflop and reddyuta like this.
  11. cowboyblue22

cowboyblue22 Well-Known Member

2,885 Messages
    1,842 Likes Received
    what did they learn its good be more lucky than good

12. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

7,633 Messages
    5,445 Likes Received
    I seriously doubt it was ALL luck in this franchise's selection of Dak. They spent more time studying him and interviewing him than anyone else involved in the draft. Sometimes hard work pays off just as much as luck. I would certainly agree that there were both factors involved with his selection but without the time and effort spent to evaluate him we might easily have passed him by like so many others. Effort does count!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    drawandstrike and JJHLH1 like this.
  13. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

4,522 Messages
    1,744 Likes Received
    Dak was not their first choice for QB. Or second. Or third for that matter.

Just be thankful it wasn't one of the other slugs they tried to get.

drawandstrike and hipfake08 like this.
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

23,033 Messages
    3,631 Likes Received
    compliment.
    you need guys who love to be in the building.
    being a gym rat is required at QB like no place else.
    troy had that and that's why and irvin were always on the same page.
    no need to yell or scream at each other because they worked out allllll the time together.

part of the romo stuff that's missed is he was too banged up to work like that anymore.
    dak came in lived at the facility and practiced like he was gonna start when he was 4th string.

i've known really good football players who weren't gym rats but man it was short-lived.

all those guys hwo have good careers are gym rats.

15. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

12,287 Messages
    4,412 Likes Received
    Yeah I don't understand it. People accredit us getting Dak was "luck" because we waited until the 4th round. That's not how the draft works. You don't reach for a guy because you just know he will be worth it. You have draft grades and charts that you follow. So if your draft chart says Dak has a 2nd round grade on him but you know his stock has plummeted and you can get him in the 4th for much better value then why wouldn't you do it?

tyke1doe and Verdict like this.
  16. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

6,477 Messages
    1,995 Likes Received
    Quite honestly, this isn't a new phenomenon, or a new variable. I also think there are some things that jump out at you for certain college players that make it fairly easy to identify.

Think back on Doug Flutie. He propelled a middling program (Boston College) to upper tier status. He did not have top tier players around him. Guys who can single handedly carry a mediocre program and make it relevant must be given a good hard look, assuming their team is playing top level competition. It is a strong indicator of leadership, an ability and willingness to persevere, and to outwork their competition.

Dak is a lot like Flutie in many of those respects but additionally, is a much bigger, stronger player. He pretty much carried a mediocre Missisippi State program against SEC competition. That should have put him on the radar, and it did.

Conversely, on a team like Alabama, players can appear a little bit better than they really are because they are surrounded by blue chip players making it hard to determine if they are really as good as they seem, or propped up by their teammates.

tyke1doe and drawandstrike like this.
  17. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

2,755 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    I'd prefer that they spend their time figuring out how to not draft stiffs like Escobar and Gregory in the second round instead of pondering why they didn't draft good players early enough. Eliminate the big misses and you will have a solid draft whether the picks be early or late. I can see Cleveland now...

Owner: "Why on earth did we wait until the second round to draft Joel Bitonio?"
    Morbidly obese man wearing dog mask: "Ummm, why the F did you draft Justin Gilbert and Johnny Manziel in the first round?"
    Owner: "We wanted to avoid the future big contracts of potential Hall-of-Famers like Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald, Odell Beckham, Jr. and Zack Martin. #moneyball"

stasheroo and ConstantReboot like this.
  18. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

14,644 Messages
    4,121 Likes Received
    That's how I knew it wasn't jerry talkin'..................... ;)

DFWJC likes this.
  19. sean10mm

sean10mm Well-Known Member

462 Messages
    552 Likes Received
    Scouting college for NFL quarterbacks is just inherently a mess. Some random thoughts:
    1. College football is fundamentally different than pro football for a quarterback. These guys often simply didn't do things in college that you need them to do in the pros. 3, 5 and 7 step drops from under center often simply don't exist in college playbooks. They don't have to play against most of the defensive schemes they'll see in the NFL. Accuracy often has different meaning in the pros - they have to be able to make decisions faster and place the ball in much smaller windows than in college. "College open" is a different thing from "NFL open." Bottom line is, what you need to see isn't there to be seen a lot of the time.
    2. Your quarterback needs to be book smart enough to memorize a massive playbook. But they also need to be able to make snap decisions under physical and mental duress, which is a different thing. A gym rat is good, unless they are more concerned with looking jacked than learning the playbook or working on their footwork and throwing mechanics. They need to both be self-motivated AND coachable, which can be in conflict - there are guys who work hard on their own but can't accept criticism from others.
    3. To be blunt, some people are just mentally soft - they can't take criticism, they can't handle adversity, they've been handed everything since Pop Warner and choke the first time they're under REAL pressure. Some of these guys are like the bully who cries like a [censored] the second someone finally just turns around and punches them in the nose.
    Not everybody has everything, and everyone is coached to lie about their weaknesses anyway. Teams are left to do a lot of extrapolation and educated guessing - none of these guys are what you need when you draft them, and you're trying to figure out if they can turn into what you need or not.

20. JJHLH1

JJHLH1 Well-Known Member

1,505 Messages
    2,592 Likes Received
    Dak is a one-off. The Cowboys should feel fortunate they drafted him but shouldn't expect this to happen again. Dak has a rare ability to process spacial information quickly. Combine that with his intelligence, leadership ability, and excellent decision making and you have the greatest rookie QB in NFL history. Don't reach on other players expecting to get similar results.

SDCowboy85, haleyrules and funkytown like this.