1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Brees and 5 picks *Merge*

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by dfense, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    I like Tony, Dallas can win with him behind center, but I don't feel any better with him throwing picks now than I did before. I would like to see him have those 31 touchdowns like Brees if we are comparing.
  2. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    I've discovered the problem. If we just surround Romo with a really stout O-line, get some stud RBs, collect some smart and skilled WRs and then make a D that forces turnovers and gets him the ball...well then I think we will see a different Romo.
  3. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,554 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    I'd be happy with even one of those at this point. :(
  4. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,681 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Dang..... you trying to get a MOD job?

:laugh2: (LOL)
  5. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,681 Messages
    19 Likes Received
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,630 Likes Received
    I think we all know that all NFL QBs have games like Brees did last night. I certainly was aware of the fact after Romo's CHI game (where he actually played well, despite the turnovers).

We're also aware that people are *always* going to try to measure QBs using team accomplishments without any regard for all of the other obvious factors involved in winning a Superbowl. That doesn't mean it makes any logical sense, but it's going to happen.

What we're left with is that fact that our QBs are going to have bad days, and they're going to be treated unfairly because of it when it happens. Ostensibly, this will be because they haven't won a recent Superbowl, but the reality probably is that it will happen without regard for any hardware. We just have to live with Dallas fans overreacting to bad QB games in Dallas and looking the other way when it happens in every other city in the league.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,460 Messages
    575 Likes Received
    I wish. :(
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,492 Messages
    2,374 Likes Received
    Vs Rodgers, Brady and maybe one or two other....I doubt it.

If this was for Romo, well yes. We're talking top 3-5 compared top 7-12 or so. But I don't hardly anyone advocating Romo over Brees, YR.
  9. DFWJC

23,492 Messages
    2,374 Likes Received
    Just give me Romo's stats from last year and I'm fine.

I do think his 13 picks so far are deceiving. Reviewing each one, I suspect close to half of that is on him...and that is counting those two shovel pass flops.
    At least 2 or 3 went right through the WR/TEs hand or bounced off his chest and into the defense hand. Another 3-5 were flat out wrong routes. At least two others were hail mary type punts.
    The rest were just your typical mental or phyiscal mistakes made by any QB in the league, as we saw last night. They all do it from time to time.

Still, I'll take 30 TDs and 10 picks from last year and love it.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,822 Messages
    1,679 Likes Received
    ignorance is bliss obviously

In the year that the Saints won the SB they actually had a decent running game; a very good O line; and a Defense that led the league in takeaways.

But continue with your agenda; emperor with no clothes
  11. DFWJC

23,492 Messages
    2,374 Likes Received
    I agree that trying to diss Brees' SB win is lame. And I am not one to put Romo inthe same tier as him.

But that defense was pretty epic at creating turnovers--which is far and away what seperates the defenses that get you to Super Bowls. Green Bay had the same thing a couple of years ago. Turnovers turned into point or creating short fields are so huge.

You have to get lucky sometimes to win the SB. I think Minnesota was better than NO that year and even outplayed them before Favre wrecked his ankle. But that happens all the time...see Buffalo's missed FG for Giants win, Brady's tuck rule fluke, the helmet catch for the Giants, etc.

In the end, Brees deserves the credit he gets though..imo.

What I find funny is that teams can win a SB off the oddest play and the QB becomes all-world in people's minds...same with coaches. Exact same coach or QB before the game and after..and they may have even played or coached a crappy game. But totally different perception if they win or lose.
    It seems to be very low-level thinking, but that's how it is.
  12. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    It's the fact Brees will get no media attention and Romo would be criticized for weeks.
  13. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    Please stop. Ignorance is someone call out others because of their own inferiority complex. Who doesn't Think outside the box and who is dense when it comes to what is reality. I've been following them since the 70s and know my football.

What agenda? I've never ripped Romo. That is the issue with some of you. You are so black and white and don't read what anyone puts throughout threads. Your main goal isn't to think for yourself but to just blindly stick to a side and attack. Grow up.

Leading the league in takeaways doesn't mean stopping opponents and giving up points. A pretty good running game? That team was all system and Brees. But when it comes to us Ya'll try to act like we need the perfect team to accomodate Romo.

I just want some people to go to their RIF class and comprehend

Romo is behind a bad O-line. Romo puts up great stats in years. Romo is the best QB we can have right now. I like the guy as our QB. BUT none of that excuses what he does in some big games or how he still makes 10 cent brain mistakes. Or that he hasn't won anything of importance. You can objectively sit back and look at this without picking a side. Please go take your petty b.s. elsewhere. I hate dealing with people who can't read and who think post count gives them the right to act like a know it all. Get your head out of the sand.

Sorry dude, I'm sure you're a great guy but don't assume everyone has an agenda.
  14. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    Again, sorry for the rant but I hate the name calling...so I responded in kind. My bad.
  15. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,321 Messages
    198 Likes Received
    Just because the Saints don't have a workhorse RB doesn't mena they can't run the ball. They are continually at the top of the league in rushing with their RBs. So that doesn't fly.

Brady had scrubs? Welker a scrub? Also, he hasn't won a SB since Bellichek can't spy anymore, lol.

The David Carr refernce - see Alex Smith. He came close to the SB last year and he is a bus driver.

Romo indeed has flaws, but so do all QBs. And with Red's offensive game plans, no QB can do anything productive unless he trys to "do so much". Else, we get stagnant offense.
  16. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,321 Messages
    198 Likes Received
    Not a different Romo, a different team that doesn't work against him.

The stout O-line would be enough to show a dramatic improvement I bet. The other things could be worked around.
  17. DFWJC

23,492 Messages
    2,374 Likes Received
    I think New Orleans was in the top 5-10 in the league in rushing when they won the title.
  18. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
  19. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,554 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    In 2009 NO was 6th in rushing yards and outrushed their opponents 2106 yds to 1955; NO rushed for and allowed an avg of 4.5 yds/att.
  20. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    This year they are middle of the pack at 14. The year before they were top 5 and 2009 Top 5. 2010 they were 22nd. So its not consistent. The offense runs through Brees and then they rotate in guys and run. They are more about flair passes this year to someone like Sproles. But they aren't your prototypical old Cowboy or Steeler type team running the I.

Yes, he had scrubs. Troy Brown was his leading WR in the SB in 2001. Their WRs were Brown and David Patten. In 2003 SB year their WRs were Deion Branch, Troy Brown and David Givens. 2004 he had the same group. His RBs those years were Antwain Smith and Faulk. Wes Welker is/was a possession guy until he got into that offense. The only true WR1 they have had was Moss and they didn't win the SB.

You're missing the point. No QB in todays constricted free agency has a perfect team like the early teams did. Contracts don't allow it thus parity. Whick makes 15 years even more depressing. So you can't just set up a perfect team for Romo...though i think he can win a SB if he stops his own mistakes.

You can't blame that all on Red. though my order of people I'd want gone are a) Jerry as GM, Jason at HC and Romo way, way down the list. In fact I don't want him gone.