1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Brewster vs Still

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by supercowboy8, Nov 21, 2011.

1. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,516 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    Brewster got whipped Saturday by Still, he was so scared he couldn't snap the ball. That performance brings him down on my board.

The Buckeyes have the top senior center draft prospect in Mike Brewster, while the Nittany Lions are led by defensive tackle Devon Still. Both players entered the game as candidates for the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft. If one of them got the better of the matchup, it could really help their draft stock get into the opening night of the draft.

Early in the game, Brewster was getting in on some double teams against Still, and the double teams were effective in keeping him from making some big stops. In the first quarter, Brewster had a bad snap, having seemingly forgotten his quarterback was in the shotgun. The center snapped the ball off his butt which rolled to quarterback Braxton Miller for a loss on third down. Prior to the snap, Brewster had his eyes on Still and was so preoccupied with blocking him that he made the mental mistake.

In the second half, Brewster had another bad snap on a third down to kill any chance for a conversion. On this snap, he had the ball only ankle-high for Miller. Again on the play, Brewster was getting ready to block Still. Late in the fourth quarter, the Buckeyes center put another snap at the feet of Miller.

The normally reliable Brewster had a disaster of a game snapping the ball. There were a few other snaps that were off the mark but did not kill the timing of the play like those other three snaps. He did reasonably well blocking in run and pass protection. Brewster was probably more effective as a pass blocker, but he was getting to his assignments and making his blocks in the ground game.

Overall, this game will hurt Brewster's stock due to the bad snaps that he had, especially on the plays when he was blocking Still. Brewster's performance against Penn State suggests that he should be a second-round pick instead of a first-rounder.

When Still was single-blocked, he collapsed the pocket a few times and got some pressure, but overall, he was quiet, especially when compared to his typical weekly performance. Entering the game, Still had recorded at least one tackle for a loss in each of the previous 10 games. Against Ohio State, it looks like that streak was broken, unless he dove on a pile and was credited with half a tackle for a loss. On the second to final play of the game, Still almost sacked Miller after beating Brewster with a power and speed rush.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012recap_12.php
  2. drawnstripes

drawnstripes Benched

167 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd still draft him
  3. supercowboy8

5,516 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    yeah I would too but not as high as I was before this game.

I would draft Brewster but only if Konz and Jones is off the board
  4. drawnstripes

drawnstripes Benched

167 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    hes my number one Center
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm a Still fan.

6'5" 310; that's the type of size in our DE we usually gravitate towards.
  6. supercowboy8

5,516 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    WHo? Brewster? Have you seen Konz play?
    Konz plays the same teams and players Brewster has and dominated them.
    It is a shame that Konz is out so we will not get to see how he handles Still. But if you compare Brewster and Konz to same opponents, Konz won hands down.

Just look at the purdue game for example. Kawann Short had a much better game vs Brewster than he did vs Konz.

Brewster and Jones are competing for the #2 spot right now IMO but Konz is a clear #1.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,620 Messages
    5,780 Likes Received
    Konz is clearly number 1 in talent; however, his medical condition scares me. He probably won't declare for 2012 anyway.

Jones might be more NFL ready than Brewster right now; however, Brewster could have a higher upside. Drafted players often get bigger/stronger (Brewster) but not quicker (Jones).
  8. supercowboy8

5,516 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    what medical condition, his ankle or his possible blood clogs that he has been playing with the last two years?

Jones is pretty quick, may not be as light footed as Brewster but Brewster gets pushed around easy by NFL caliper DL. Jones holds his own, might get beat by the quicker DL but I would rather have a center that can push the pile and handle the 330 pound DT.
  9. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,163 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    I agree with your Brewster comments, but Konz missed 2 games his freshman year due to the blood cloats and has been fine since. Is there any reason to think that it was caused by something chronic? I don't think so? Considering that he's played for 2 years w/o anything triggering it likely means it's nothing.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,620 Messages
    5,780 Likes Received
    The speculation on Konz is that if it happens again, he would have to go on blood thinner permanently and could not play football.

If that is NOT true, then he would be my pick in the 1st.
  11. drawnstripes

drawnstripes Benched

167 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sorry I still take Brewster
  12. Cheap Shot Artist

Cheap Shot Artist Benched

981 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    reminicient of tommie frazier
  13. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    Still would be a nice piece for the D. Rather have DeCastro than any centers mentioned.
  14. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,507 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Yes, lifelong anti-coagulation is the standard treatment for anyone who has had two DVTs. I don't think any doctor would medically clear him to play on anti-coagulants and no doctor would agree that he does not need anti-coagulants.

The thing I don't know in Konz's case was whether his blood clot was provoked or spontaneous and whether he has a genetic predisposition to blood clots.

This condition is no small matter. As a football player, I'd much rather have had a cancer like Hodgkins Lymphoma than a blood clot.
  15. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  16. drawnstripes

drawnstripes Benched

167 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    you want to draft Still

not me

Wis O line is handling him

a 3-4 D lineman is a waste as a first rounder
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Brewster must still be shell-shocked from the Still beating. He played mighty weak today IMO. I wouldn't take him in the first or second. For me, it's Konz or nothing.
  18. supercowboy8

5,516 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    Brewster is now a 3rd round Center to me. HE had a bad game vs Michigan after getting beat down by Devon Still and also Kawann Short.

Konz is a late 1st round or early 2nd and the top C for sure now. Ben Jones is a easy #2 over Brewster.
  19. supercowboy8

5,516 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    yeah Still didnt have a great game vs Wisconsin OL but not many do. Zeitler played great vs him. Zeitler has finished up the season mid 2nd rounder.
  20. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I really thought Brewster was a better player than what he has shown this year. He looked more powerfull last year. I agree , a third round pick at best.