1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bristol Palin

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, May 7, 2009.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,235 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    I'm here in D.C. this week and I have to say that the Bristol Palin thing is getting a great deal of air time.

I ask you guys, what do you think of this whole thing? Palin is saying, as I understand it, that abstinence is the best way to go. This is certainly not the first time we've heard this message but as I watch this thing, it seems to be polarizing people. On the one hand, you have those who are saying, "How stupid. She didn't adhere to this practice so how can she be anybody to try and tell anyone not to do what she has already done."

I understand this point of view but I can't say that I agree with it.

On the other hand, you have people saying, "Why not her? She is living the situation. Who better to warn young people of just how difficult it is?"

We have recovering alcoholics running AA programs. We have recovering addicts, former criminals, former gang members talking to like minded young people trying to educate them in this country.

What are your thoughts on this?
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,795 Messages
    2,870 Likes Received
    My thoughts are the GOP, or whoever is pushing this, is being kind of Silly throwing a Teenager out there for this...especially when they have complained how the media has attacked her. Then while she is doing this her baby's daddy is on another show saying they should teach about birth control as well.

Personally I think it would be in the Palin's best interest to stay low for a little while. Kind of hard to complain about the press attacking you if you keep going out there in the public to do things.

And I am not bashing the daughter here as I imagine it was not her idea but someone pushing her to do this and setting up the interviews and so on.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

34,235 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    I am aware of no complaints by the Palin family on this issue. I am only aware of issues brought up during the campaign, which is different to me as Bristol had made no comments one way or the other at the time.

I am also not certain that this has anything to do with the GOP. From what I can tell, this is simply something Bristol Palin choose to be involved with. No formal support by the GOP, that I am aware of, has been publically stated.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,067 Messages
    1,617 Likes Received
    According to what I have heard this is something Bristol Palin wanted to do. She also did the interview with Greta and that was arranged by her and FOX not through her mother’s office or anyone else.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,673 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    I think the message is always more powerful coming from someone that has been there than someone that hasn't.

You see a guy dying from lung cancer warning against smoking, you're more likely to heed that message than some guy in a suit rattling off a list of potential dangers but neither side is really wrong. It's dangerous regardless of which person talks about it.

However Bristol's message has changed, considering just a couple of months ago she was saying abstinance wasn't a realistic option and her baby's father is still going around saying kids should learn about contraception.

I guess I just don't understand why you can't have both messages, not having sex is the only fool-proof way but you should still learn about contraception to avoid making the mistake Bristol made.

The argument gets divided by political lines too often, not neccesarily real world logic.
  6. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I don't care about Bristol Palin, and neither should anyone else. This is not news, stop throwing her out there.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

34,235 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    I can not provide a link, nor can I even remember where or when I heard this but it seems that, during the campaign, when this was a hot topic, there was some reference to the fact that she and her boyfriend had used some sort of protection but it didn't work or something like that. I'm reaching here to try and remember so please excuse me if I don't have all the facts or they may be inaccurate. Anyway, that may be why she is saying no sex. I don't know. I do think it's good that she is doing this because I would think that, in light of her personal situation with the father (apparently out of the picture), she's at least making some money that can hopefully be used to take care of the child.

I don't know. You hate to see this situation with young people but it's going to happen. You just hope that some young people are paying attention.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

34,235 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    Good for you.
  9. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Oh come off it. You conservative types screamed bloody murder that the press was talking about her during the campaign, calling it a non-story-non-issue-children-are-off-limits, now all of a sudden you do a 180 because the coverage is somewhat positive? Who cares. She's not running for office, she's never done anything noteworthy, she's just a teenage girl that had a kid who has a famous mom.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

34,235 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    Are you a parent?
  11. Doomsday101

75,067 Messages
    1,617 Likes Received
    As many of us would if the media attacked the Obama girls they should be off limits. In this case this is a project she wants to do during the campaign she was not saying or doing things to draw media attention and because of the tabloid stories and negative press yes that was wrong. Evidently you can't see the difference.
  12. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Who in God's Name gives a flying Frick what Bristol Palin has to say on anything let alone abstinence.
  13. Doomsday101

75,067 Messages
    1,617 Likes Received
    Maybe no one maybe someone will. That is normally how these type of messages work.
  14. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Have plenty of Sex and use Condoms.

That should be her message.

:D
  15. Doomsday101

75,067 Messages
    1,617 Likes Received
    I don't know what her message will be. I have seen the one on one interview with her and she understands better than any of us guys the consequences. I commend her for putting herself out there and she will have to deal with the positive and negative comments that go along with it but it is her choice.
  16. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,712 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    As far as Bristol Palin goes, if she feels abstinence-only education works, then I'm fine with her going around and saying as much.

However, I think the actual real-world evidence is pretty clear that abstinence-only does not work, and I find that people who say otherwise aren't paying attention to the evidence but rather sticking to principle (which I do respect).

While telling kids to wait is obviously fine (because they should), the evidence is pretty clear that abstinence-only education doesn't work. Texas, where virtually all the schools teach abstinence and abstinence alone, is very high on teen pregnancy. And it's been proven that communities big on preaching abstinence-only do not see the requisite results to justify its use.
  17. Doomsday101

75,067 Messages
    1,617 Likes Received
    Nothing works unless you do it, you can teach kids about condoms all you want but if they do not use them it does them no good. Schools teach kids about drugs yet kids still do drugs. Abstinence is 100% fool prove but if kids choose not to then of course it will not work. I think kids are a bit smarter than what many adults think especially in today’s world.
  18. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,559 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    A couple comments:

Bristol Palin is getting paid for this, as the "ambassador" for the Candie's Foundation, which encourages abstinence among teenagers. (The Candie's Foundation is run by Neil Cole, the head of Candie's - no, I'm not kidding).

Not too long ago, Bristol said in an interview that expecting teens to be abstinent was "not realistic".

From Gail Collins' Op-Ed piece in the NYT today:
    Personally, I wonder how much of this is Bristol and how much is her parents pushing her into it (and I question how much she believes her message). It just seems to me like a bad idea for everyone involved, but hey, it's her business, so who am I to judge?
  19. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Really?

Shocking.

[IMG]
  20. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,573 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
    I attended a high school in Texas where contraception was taught, and it still had a high number of pregnancies.

However, I'm at the point of not caring whether or not contraception is taught in schools. I plan to be the primary source for sex education in my child's life, regardless of school curriculum.

I also support Bristol Palin's abstinence-encouragement endeavors. It seems that certain prominent elements within the media have successfully perpetuated the idea that abstinence, even among high school students, is somehow abnormal. They're essentially glorifying sex among teens -- which is their right.

The opposition viewpoint should be made known as well, however.

For the record, I waited until marriage, and I didn't get married until after graduate school.