1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

British fear US commander is beating the drum for Iran strikes

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Heisenberg, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,075 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/05/wiran105.xml

British fear US commander is beating the drum for Iran strikes

By Damien McElroy, Foreign Affairs Correspondent
    Last Updated: 1:53am BST 05/04/2008

British officials gave warning yesterday that America's commander in Iraq will declare that Iran is waging war against the US-backed Baghdad government.

A strong statement from General David Petraeus about Iran's intervention in Iraq could set the stage for a US attack on Iranian military facilities, according to a Whitehall assessment. In closely watched testimony in Washington next week, Gen Petraeus will state that the Iranian threat has risen as Tehran has supplied and directed attacks by militia fighters against the Iraqi state and its US allies.

The outbreak of Iraq's worst violence in 18 months last week with fighting in Basra and the daily bombardment of the Green Zone diplomatic enclave, demonstrated that although the Sunni Muslim insurgency is dramatically diminished, Shia forces remain in a strong position to destabilise the country.

"Petraeus is going to go very hard on Iran as the source of attacks on the American effort in Iraq," a British official said. "Iran is waging a war in Iraq. The idea that America can't fight a war on two fronts is wrong, there can be airstrikes and other moves," he said.

"Petraeus has put emphasis on America having to fight the battle on behalf of Iraq. In his report he can frame it in terms of our soldiers killed and diplomats dead in attacks on the Green Zone."

Tension between Washington and Tehran is already high over Iran's covert nuclear programme. The Bush administration has not ruled out military strikes.

In remarks interpreted as signalling a change in his approach to Iran, Gen Petraeus last week hit out at the Iranian leadership. "The rockets that were launched at the Green Zone were Iranian-provided, Iranian-made rockets," he said. "All of this in complete violation of promises made by President Ahmadinejad and the other most senior Iranian leaders to their Iraqi counterparts."

The humiliation of the Iraqi prime minister Nouri al-Maliki by the Iranian-backed cleric Moqtada al-Sadr in fighting in Basra last week triggered top-level warnings over Iran's strength in Iraq.

Gen Petraeus and Ryan Crocker, the US ambassador to Baghdad, will answer questions from American political leaders at the US Congress on Tuesday and Wednesday before travelling to London to brief Gordon Brown.

The Wall Street Journal said last week that the US war effort in Iraq must have a double goal.

"The US must recognise that Iran is engaged in a full-up proxy war against it in Iraq," wrote the military analyst Kimberly Kagan.

There are signs that targeting Iran would unite American politicians across the bitter divide on Iraq. "Iran is the bull in the china shop," said Ike Skelton, the Democrat chairman of the Armed Services Committee. "In all of this, they seem to have links to all of the Shi'ite groups, whether they be political or military."
  2. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,075 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    Once we get started in Iran, I wonder how far away talks of attacking Syria are.
  3. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I strenuously doubt that Dubya could drum up support at home for startin' up with Iraq... if he tried, it would ensure that the GOP takes a severe beating in November...

But if McCain were to win the election, then it might be off to the races... which is another reason for me not to vote for him...
  4. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,043 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Funny thing is, all the Iraqi Shia factions do have their ties to elements in Iran. It doesn't matter whether it's Maliki or Sadr or one of the others. They are tight with some of the Iranians. The Iranians have their own factional infighting, and support different sections of the Iraqi polirixL landscape.

This seems like lots of speculation by the Telegraph as well: a lot of 'he mights'.

I will wait to hear the report myself.
  5. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Silver, I think you meant Iran.:D
  6. hank2k

hank2k Member

516 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This "War on Terror" is becoming the cash cow for the defense industry that the Cold War was. Problem is without a draft , do we have the manpower to do anything to Iran more than send a few cruise missles at them?

The only "good" thing about Mccain winning in Nov would be they would have to reinstste the draft to get enough bodies for these types of things. Then youd see how people really feel about this lunacy. Right now its mostly military families that deal with the main burden of this war.

Reinstate the draft and this country will slide so far to the left in 2012 that Dennis Kucinich could get elected.
  7. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, everything is great in the land of OZ

[IMG]
  8. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think this has been long overdue.
  9. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Maybe Israel would help out. I'm sure they would be more than happy to.
  10. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,075 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    No kidding. Just give them the greenlight to stomp mudholes in people and they'd do it for us.
  11. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think you're right, LOL...