1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Broaddus: Answer Pretty Clear When Evaluating Both Guards

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,456 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    I think without having the action of the season and all the emotions in play it would be nice to go back and get a second look at these two. I certainly agree with your stance on Bernadette and Livings and it seems like the majority of the board does as well when thinking back on the weekly threads.

I'm not sure I agree with his "looking at the 3 bad misses the 65 good" line when one of those 3 bad plays are so incredibly bad that Romo literally looks like he's dead, laying on the ground and the other two plays still have Romo scraping himself off the carpet.

Also, having one guy who fits Bern's description is something you can work with so long as the guys around him are good. Dallas had Bern and Free, and taking Broaddus' evaluation, Livings worse than Bern. The center play wasn't spectacular and Tyron did struggle more than anyone wanted to see. The collection of them isn't going to get the job done and replacing just 1 of them won't do it either.

Dallas needs a new OT and at least one OG. I don't want to but provided Dallas put serious resources at RT and one of the OG positions, I'd be willing to pray that Costa can put consistency behind that Ravens game and stay healthy.
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,456 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    If only Unger would have lasted another couple picks.

If you really want to get sick regarding the 2009 draft, look at the following 4 OL that were taken after Unger at 49 when Dallas traded down.

51: OG, Andy Levitre (Pick that was traded away)
    54: OT, Phil Loadholdt
    58: OT, Sebastian Vollmer
    60: OT, William Beatty
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,871 Messages
    7,269 Likes Received
    Tyron Smith has a pretty solid year. I'm not disappointed at all in where he's at in his development.
  4. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,203 Messages
    4,312 Likes Received
    it just makes you sick doesn't it? trade down to get robert brewster and let four capable starters pass by. and people wonder why fans are so frustrated. little things like this keep setting this franchise back.
  5. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,649 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Because hes young, and the potential is there. Yet you won't give Bernadeau a shot, because he doesn't have the pedigree of a Top ten pick, like Smith. Bernadeau, in his first time as a starter, struggled liked Smith, but did show some flashes of potential and could certaingly develop into a solid player, even though he doesn't fit in the Risen star's philosophy of a high draft pick.
  6. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,034 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    Chance Warmack or the kid from UNC...
  7. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    This kid will make Murray a pro bowler.

that and someone finding stopping Garrett from tearing out the running pages from the playbook.
  8. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,456 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    True true!!
  9. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,199 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    The problem is that three plays is all it takes for an OL to have a huge negative impact for an offense.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    how many years has Bernie been in the league?

If you think he is going to 'blossom' now then I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale
  11. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,755 Messages
    2,516 Likes Received
    I dunno, maybe they could.

But the trade for Mo (the 6th pick of the draft) represented a unique circumstance where the value of the player exceeded the spot he was being chosen at and the team trading with Dallas took less of a deal to trade out of the spot.

Lot's of things have to align for that to happen with an offensive lineman I would think.

And without seeing where the team is as far as the cap goes and without knowing if there are any high-priced linemen they like-- who knows where that's going.
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,867 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    The chances are actually quite high if you draft one in the 1st two rounds.

I have no idea what criteria of evaluation you used to determine that none of the linemen distinguished themselves. I highly doubt you've studied them and no one talks about rookie offensive linemen except the fans of teams they are on.

Roughly 85% of offensive linemen taken in the 2nd round last year started 13+ games. They ALL started at least 6 games. I'm willing to be their head coaches have a slightly differing opinion from yours on whether it's a "fact" that they were all undistinguished.

I'm unsure how your strategy of taking yet another stop-gap guard in FA solves our problems. What's the definition of insanity again? I think it's time to stop being so short sighted and actually deal with the root of the problem, the idea that "we're going to win the superbowl next year" has been used to justify way too many quick fixes around here.
  13. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,649 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Bernies been in the league a few years, but he was a raw kid from a small school. If you truly know how long it can take to develop Olinemen, you would know that it takes time, but, to change the subject, I do sell ocean front property in New Mexico, so feel free to get ahold of me if your in the market.
  14. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,755 Messages
    2,516 Likes Received
    Just because they started, doesn't mean they played well.

The only one off the top that played well was the kid that went to Buffalo... Glenn (whom RS liked). Glenn played well at tackle for the Bills.

I'm not into "quick" fixes either. But the fact is there's a lotta positions on this team that need help and I'm not devoting much of the 2013 draft is going to be the ultimate solution.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,871 Messages
    7,269 Likes Received
    Bernadeau is 27 years old and has been in the league 5 years. Tyron is 22 with 2 years in the league. Then you have that pesky tape thing that shows Tyron an athletic freak and Bernadeau a career backup. No talent evaluator on the planet would see much similarity between the two.

Having said that, my plan for next year is to move Bernadeau to C. Then hopefully replace him the following year.
  16. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,858 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    You keep bern because he is younger and can maybe compete for the center job. Wouldn't it be nice to have Tyrone at LT and Cooper at LG. We could run a screen or two then.
  17. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,649 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Par the course, your not comprehending. Bernadeau hasn't had a "career". Hes still developing. But I am anxious to hear from you about the Boys needing to draft all Olinemen in this years draft.
  18. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,466 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    When all else fails, use hyperbole.
  19. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,649 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    It fits well with RS's agendas imo.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    5 years is a little more than a few but then you probably did not realize that

Excuses excuses that is all you have

Meanwhile Romo gets worked

maybe that is the plan from all of you pollyanna's that think this batch of JAGS are worth something