1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Broaddus: Breaking Down Kiffin’s “Tampa-2” Defense

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by morasp, Jan 11, 2013.

1. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,763 Messages
    383 Likes Received
    Broaddus: Breaking Down Kiffin’s “Tampa-2” Defense

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

dallascowboys.com

IRVING, Texas – With Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett on the verge of naming Monte Kiffin as the defensive coordinator replacing Rob Ryan, there’s been plenty of discussion on the style of defense that Kiffin will bring with him to Dallas. But it’s a scheme that Cowboys fans have seen before.

Under Dave Campo and Mike Zimmer, the Tampa 2 defense was used here with some nice success, but the biggest difference in the way the Cowboys ran it compared to Kiffin’s version is that he had John Lynch, Ronde Barber, Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks and Simeon Rice. Even during the first season with Bill Parcells, Zimmer was calling defenses with La’Roi Glover and Dat Nguyen in this Tampa 2 look until Parcells convinced Jones that it was easier to find players to play in the 3-4, since it was a cheaper form of defense to play, because you didn’t have to pay the outside linebacker what you were paying defensive ends.

read more:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...Defense-/152c949c-2595-4ac9-b719-e1b6c73113ad
  2. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    That was a good article.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,155 Messages
    2,788 Likes Received
    It was a good article.

Glad we got rid of that piker Rob Ryan.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,082 Messages
    5,603 Likes Received
    Fantastic article! Clears up a whole lot of misinformation in my mind...
  5. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,849 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I agree with the collective
  6. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Informative article.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,893 Messages
    2,143 Likes Received
    Looking forward to seeing how the draft and FA market shape up.
  8. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Are OLBs still cheaper than DEs?
  9. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,582 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    I still hope we do not let Spencer walk - regardless of scheme you try to get your best 11 players on the field and I would say that Spencer is one of the best five players we have.
  10. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,784 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    I would think they should be closer together at this point now that more teams are running the 3-4 defense. I remember when we went to the 3-4, very few teams ran it.
  11. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,699 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    I remember a couple of years ago, when Terrell Suggs was being franchised by the Ravens, he was trying to argue that he should be classified as a DE instead of an OLB, because the DE tag was higher. Not sure if the gap hasn't closed, but doubt it when you look at the contracts Peppers and Williams have signed.

Really good article. Hopefully helps for those who thought Tampa 2 was just a zone (like me).
  12. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,162 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    So the FS seems like one of the most important parts on the defense. The article says Church can be that guy. Do you agree or do you think we need to address this with our top pick in the draft?
  13. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,530 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    I love articles like this! Very informative. I believe that Church is the key to this whole thing. I hope he is as smart as they say.