1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Broaddus: Cowboys Laying Ground Work for Trade Down

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by MarionBarberThe4th, Apr 18, 2011.

1. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,779 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    http://twitter.com/#!/BryanBroaddus/status/59930210992263169

Cowboys laying ground work for trade downs. Most likely on clock but need two things. See which way first 8 go and names for teams 2 go up 4

Do they like Tyron Smith more than Castanzo, Carimi, Pouncey, Prince, Watt, Cam, or Solder plus a 3rd and 6th.

I think if Julio is on the board at 9 then the Rams will give up enough picks to make it worth it.
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    We've been hearing so many rumors of the Cowboys potentially trading down it seems as though JJ would like to execute a trade.

I guess from JJ's perspective if he can get an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder, and he gets a solid contributor with that extra pick (like a RB, ILB, or WR for example), that will save him some money on the eventual cap (and real hard cash as well) and have a player ready to possibly cut MBIII this year or R Williams in 2012 (without having to dip into FA).
  3. WilmingtonHeel

WilmingtonHeel Member

910 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If this happens I'm all in we have our end though
  4. egn22

egn22 Active Member

815 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    at one point i was all about tyron smith, but the more ive been thinking about it, the more it seems more reasonable to trade down. you can't let a trade opportunity go because of smith's "potential". grab a starter in the 1st round and pick up some more early picks.
  5. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,773 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Mosley was also saying they are looking to trade down. Also, said Dallas will not be taking T Smith at 9. He indicated that Dallas is more likely to take Watt or Solder than Smith. Mosley's supposed to have more out on this today.
  6. rathalarge

rathalarge Active Member

1,598 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys take Solder @ 9, then it will be the typical head scratching Cowboys pick imo.
  7. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,373 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    Very interesing,mosley has been right before.
  8. ThreeandOut

1,773 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    I think he felt they would only take Watt or Solder in a trade down, not at 9.
  9. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,875 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Honestly I think I could live with Cam Jordan/JJ Watt & Castanzo/Carimi/Pouncey and a OG/OT in the 3rd.
  10. ThreeandOut

1,773 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Yeah, that's why I pay attention to what he says this time of year.
  11. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,576 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    Mosley's typically in the know, too.

Sounds good to me.

I see us trading down and getting Watt, then trading back up to get whatever tackle is left.
  12. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,121 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    solder sucks. if we pick him at 9, we have no idea what we are doing.
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,135 Messages
    1,314 Likes Received
    It makes sense that we would take Solder because we suck at picking Oline.
  14. MarionBarberThe4th

11,779 Messages
    45 Likes Received

Wow. Did you remember if he said they are more likely to take Tyron over Solder straight up? Or that its just more likely they end up taking Solder at some point

This is funny b/c a lot of us were wondering what was up w/ the Tyron stuff being so prevalent. I dont think Mosley is one to get smoke screened

Out of this group
    I like Solder the least
  15. ThreeandOut

1,773 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    I think Dallas may be looking at having two first round picks. They trade down to lower in the round with the first pick. Then they will use their 2nd and picks acquired from the first trade to move up to the first round.
  16. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,576 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    How did Solder go from being a great prospect, pre-Senior bowl, combine--to downright sucking?

I'm not really for or against him so much, I just find it interesting that people constantly rag on him. He's played tackle for one year and played it well enough that he's a first rounder. Not to mention, he moves better than any tackle in the draft, is 6'8, and has tons of room to gain weight.

He's as good a prospect as Tyron Smith is, to me
  17. ThreeandOut

1,773 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    It was more likely that they would take Solder at some point (ie in a trade down).
  18. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,576 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    Me too, but to be honest, I'd take any of them and be happy
  19. MarionBarberThe4th

11,779 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I was just thinking the other day that our 2nd round pick is kind of in a weird spot. There are several OL and a few others that make sense but none really stand out above the rest. I was thinking they would move off of that pick and/or #9.

Id be thrilled w/ Carimi and Pouncey
  20. MarionBarberThe4th

11,779 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I wont throw a ***** fit b/c I can only glean so much off of youtube and what-not, but I really would not be comfortable with him as our first pick.

Ill C&P my thoughts on him from the other thread

If hes one of our 3 picks inside the top 35-40 then Id fell better about it.