1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Broaddus Discusses Right Tackle, Zimmer, playing Cincy

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 4, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,268 Messages
    7,118 Likes Received
    Bryan Broaddus
    Football Analyst/Scout

When you haven’t faced a team since 2008, is it harder for the players, the coaches or the advanced scouts?

Broaddus:
    Great question, last week against the Eagles there is a sense of understanding of how that guy across from you was going to play against you. When you don’t play a team but once every four years it’s a difficult challenge but at times it can works both ways. The one advantage that both teams have is that the Cowboys know Terence Newman but he knows these Cowboys receivers. The advance scouts can paint you a picture of how the Bengals might attack because he has seen the most live looks but there is going to be a period early in the game where both teams are going to have to get use to the style and pace of the game, then things will settle down on both sides of the ball.

The Bengals seem to be playing solid on defense this year. What are your thoughts on former Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer?

Broaddus:
    Zimmer will not make this game easy for Jason Garrett because he will understand all the pressure points of this offense. He has a front that will cause problems similar to what the Cowboys faced against Tampa Bay with all the movement. Will be a strong test for this Cowboys offense.

Read the rest: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...e-Zimmer/753cbdc4-1475-4f32-bc37-78cf46e9a258
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    Sadly I think Broaddus has drunk the kool aid on Free- jerruh's kool aid.
  3. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,017 Messages
    1,903 Likes Received
    What do you mean?

That seems to be accurate. Not biased at all.
  4. burmafrd

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    considering how many others say a lot worse about Free then I do say he is drinking the Jerruh Cool aid. And a fair number of them are just as qualified to comment as Broaddus is
  5. WoodysGirl

67,268 Messages
    7,118 Likes Received
    So because he didn't bash Free enough, then he's drinking the Cowboys koolaid?

ridiculous... lol
  6. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I think giving any praise to Free's play this year is biased. He just looks lost, like a high school kid going straight to the NFL. If you don't have the attitude you're gonna get whooped for 60 minutes. He needs to go.
  7. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received

Contrary to what most believe, I think Free is salvageable if he focuses on technique (as coached) and the right workout this off-season. He is very athletic so he is salvageable.

As for Zimmer, you can tell (obviously) that I like the guy and consider him to be one of the craftiest DCs out there. After all, he made guys like Coleman, Stewart, Blade, and the "Trashcan" look like Pro Bowlers. :eek:
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,652 Messages
    5,563 Likes Received
    :mad: Holy moly.
  9. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,157 Messages
    1,868 Likes Received
    Seems that way to me too.

I've heard him repeatedly try to defend Free's play when I've listened to takling Cowboys.

The guy has struggled and isn't coming close to earning his substantial paycheck.

No two ways about that, no matter what Broaddus, Jerry, or Garrett say.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,128 Messages
    7,850 Likes Received
    This surprises me. I listen to those shows, too, and came away thinking Broaddus is pretty hard on Free. Deservedly hard. He acknowledges that Free has the ability to play with good technique, and he has to because he's not going to be a physically dominant OT in this league, but that he's frequently unable to do so.

That's the book on Free. He's able to play well for stretches, and it makes you think he'll be able to get a handle on the inconsistencies eventually, but he hasn't done it. Relative to his paycheck, he's significantly underperforming this year, and his position needs to be upgraded, but I understand why the coaches have tried to work with him. He's a bit of a tease.

BTW, I rewatched hairic's passing play cutups from the PHI game last night. I was surprised how much pressure we were giving up on the left side, and--other than the key sack early--Free did a better job in that game than I'd originally thought. (Blanket statement that I'm not excusing his play in general). I think having Collinsworth talking about Free's troubles this year colored my original take some. We did leave the OTs on islands a lot that game and tried to let them run themselves out of the play. Several times when Tony got flushed he went right because the pressure was coming fast from the left. Smith's going to be a good player (I think), but he's not a finished product himself.
  11. burmafrd

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    no. Sometimes truth hurts. A lot of people HERE have this fantasy that this is a good team.
  12. Zimmy Lives

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    I think one of the things that has been overlooked (from what I can tell -- it may have already been discussed) is how valuable Marty B was in pass protection. Free and Smith look a little more exposed this year than last. I think a key priority this spring will be to draft a solid blocking TE who can help with max-protection sets.
  13. Zimmy Lives

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    Good no. Promising yes! :D
  14. WoodysGirl

67,268 Messages
    7,118 Likes Received
    I dare you to find one person whose stated that this team is a good team.

I believe it's universally acknowledged that this team has troubles.

The debate is in how people view those troubles and their ability to discuss them without hyperbole and extremism.
  15. burmafrd

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    wow. just wow. just look for all the posts that say once we get into the playoffs....
  16. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,017 Messages
    1,903 Likes Received
    Where did he compliment Free? He said the organization feels like Free is the better option. (FACT) He said Jerry acknowledges some problems Free is having and this is confirmed by what Broaddus has seen on tape.

I don't see any praise.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,128 Messages
    7,850 Likes Received
    I was going to post the same thing.

I think I'm a positive guy. I'm definitely a happy fan by most standards. I think we'll be in contention in all the remaining games, and they all look like more or less 50/50 propositions to me. Meaning I'd expect about an 8-8 final record. I realize that's not going to be good enough to cut it.

Of the three contending NFCE teams, I think WAS has the best position and we've got the worst.

I'm not seeing posters getting carried away thinking we're going to necessarily win the division. I've seen nobody who thinks we'd make a lot of noise in the playoffs if we do get in.
  18. Derekmtl85

Derekmtl85 Well-Known Member

1,253 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    We are 1 game back, you don't need to be good to make the playoffs in a bad division. And even then...not many people think it will happen.

You sound worse than those cheering for playoffs, by going to the extreme and acting like we haven't won a game.

Stop pretending like everything you say is the truth, and everybody else is delusional.
  19. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,684 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    I watched it again too and thought the same thing. #54 was blowing him up in the first half.
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Broaddus was highly critical of Free back when you Johnny Come Lately's were saying all of his problems would be solved with moving back to the right side and that anyone who brought up Free as their biggest concern on the OL was ridiculed becuase they were refusing to join in on the Costa hivemind dogpile.

Nothing Broaddus said on the topic was cheerleading.