1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Broaddus DL should be first pick

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,728 Messages
    973 Likes Received
    I remember when we went 3-4, too late by the way (Why Parcells didn't go to it sooner is beyond me) but people were crying about us not having personnel, but we got it quickly. We had the perfect anchor man in Ferguson, then when he left, we never had a true NT after that.
    Not because we couldn't find one, but because we WOULDN'T get one.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,389 Messages
    673 Likes Received
    One of the pundits (maybe Mel) said Ogletree from Gerogia was an ideal fit for a Monte Kiffin D.
  3. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

7,989 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    Would have been really nice to see what Adrian Hamilton could have turned into.
  4. Dallas71

Dallas71 New Member

20 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cowboys will not draft a defensive lineman in the first round. This is all about keeping Romo healthy this year and the Cowboys will probably need a tackle for the right side.

Dallas could go offensive lineman in the first two rounds. This is the draft for it ...
  5. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,657 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    I wish. Even if he somehow fell to us at #18, Jerry would never take him in a million years. It's too logical. He'll never go O-Line in the 1st round.
  6. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,104 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    :bang2: This some kind of sarcastic post?
  7. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Active Member

950 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    If the BPA for what ever defensive scheme we end up running is DL then you have to take him.

However if it’s OL then you have to go in that direction.

A poorly functioning offence will only make the defense’s job harder irrespective of how many D Linemen they draft.
  8. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,122 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    We would be going DL first anyway because we must get younger and deeper there; plenty of good OL in rounds 2-4.
  9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,829 Messages
    549 Likes Received
    I think we need OL and guard. Warmack from Alabama or Cooper from North Carolina should be in the 15-20 range.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,022 Messages
    4,192 Likes Received
    When Parcells was hired Jerry talked extensively about the concessions both had to make to get this deal done. Jerry having to be less insane and giving up some control and I believe Parcells having to give their 4-3 a chance as well as some real stiffs like Quincy Carter, Troy Hambrick.

I think that's why you didn't get an immediate 3-4 switch.

We got Parcells but we got a watered down Parcells courtesy of your maniac owner.
  11. Risen Star

19,022 Messages
    4,192 Likes Received
    I wouldn't put much stock in Broaddus' opinion here. What we need to do is stack the board and stick to it. Positions be damned.
  12. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,031 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    So when are we allowed to talk about the Cowboys?
  13. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Parcells was in Dallas for the money due to his divorce. The "watered down" Parcells was more about his attitude and Jones' need to have him here to get his new stadium than a maniac owner.
  14. Risen Star

19,022 Messages
    4,192 Likes Received
    Parcells had plenty of options to coach for money. He chose Dallas for reasons other than that.

The watered down Parcells was only about sharing a seat with an idiot like Jerry Jones.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

33,242 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    In today's NFL, it's not easy to just switch schemes, as you know Risen. Contract and the cap play a huge role in what you can do and how quickly you can do it. I think that this, more then anything, was the determining factor in how quickly we moved to the 34. JMO
  16. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

6,890 Messages
    198 Likes Received

Well since the strength of the 2013 NFL Draft Class happens to be DE and DT you could be onto something.

:starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin
  17. Risen Star

19,022 Messages
    4,192 Likes Received
    You think it took him until his 3rd year to switch because of contracts and the cap?

Is Kiffin going to phase in the 4-3 over a three year period?

I don't buy it.
  18. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Well I wouldn't either. As of right now, with the potential change to the 4-3, this team more than ever needs talent across the board. We can't afford to have a need based draft at all, cause noone at any position is safe and BPA should rule the day.
  19. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,377 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Except we literally have 1 signed body right now to play defensive end and another that should be back, hopefully, in August.
  20. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Very true, and thats also why I'm so worried about the timing of the change. We already had alot of holes to fill, now the change makes us have even more.

Like you say, there are positions that don't have anyone at all, and needs have to be filled in free agency. Problem is, I'm not really hopeful that we will be active in free agency. I would love for us to find that SLB in free agency for the 4-3, but as of right now its just not looking good for us to spend alot there.

At this point we just need talent, cause we aren't going to fill all our needs unless Jerry decides to go nuts again in free agency, which I doubt.