1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

Broaddus FO thinks they are set at safety

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by RS12, Mar 30, 2014.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

20,092 Messages
    6,596 Likes Received
  2. casmith07

casmith07 Attorney-at-Zone

30,268 Messages
    6,057 Likes Received
    They're not going to draft a safety high in this draft unless one of the top three falls to #47 in the second round, is my guess.

It doesn't mean they think they're "set" per se.

Oh_Canada and MichaelWinicki like this.
  3. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    if not, they are going to be picking off the trashpile.. aka the pass rush plan.

BigStar likes this.
  4. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

2,255 Messages
    2,536 Likes Received
    These safeties will play better after a year in the system, and an upgraded D line won't hurt. There's no reason the FO or fans should be giving up on Church and/or Wilcox.

I'm not saying we're "set", but safety isn't our biggest need. The only way I feel good about taking a S high in this draft is if the FO truly believes they're an immediate starter and game changer.

BigStar, jazzcat22, Maxmadden and 8 others like this.
  5. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

6,932 Messages
    3,933 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be surprised if they don't draft a safety at all. Clinton-Dix and Pryor were never the 10 yr plan at safety imo, they aren't Eric Berry/Earl Thomas caliber prospects. They might make sense for a team that feels their defense is a safety away from greatness but not here. Also doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to spend yet another 4th on a safety. I'm still high on Wilcox as a potential starter

BigStar, rwill784, jazzcat22 and 7 others like this.
  6. casmith07

casmith07 Attorney-at-Zone

30,268 Messages
    6,057 Likes Received
    Both of these posts are full of good observations.

BigStar likes this.
  7. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

15,520 Messages
    10,306 Likes Received
    It should say that the FO sees safety as a much smaller need than some other positions... primarily DE and DT on defense, which are much more important to the function of Marinelli's unit.

Wood and Nation like this.
  8. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

10,861 Messages
    3,750 Likes Received
    what a freaking joke,i just cannot believe they are ok with t
    safety is a huge need imo.we need safeties who can play in space for the tampa 2 and we dont have any on our roster,Qbs will just throw it to guys near our safeties and its a easy catch every time because they are poor in recognition and dont break early on the ball.

pacboyX likes this.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

23,250 Messages
    12,982 Likes Received
    You have to consider Broaddus' logic.

If they gave him an indication that they don't plan to draft a Safety in the 1st round, then with his logic he probably translates that to mean that they consider themselves set at the position.

Often, it appears that he reports what the Cowboys are thinking based on the thoughts of 1 person in the organization and maybe just 1 comment from that person.

It seems obvious that the Cowboys general mindset is that they're going to give themselves a chance to develop some players and not try as hard to cover themselves with stopgap veterans. I'm not sure that means that they fell "all set" at several positions.

speedkilz88 likes this.
  10. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    The safety plan: Pick a ton of white dudes from middle of nowhere community college and hope they can play.

BigStar, khiladi and pacboyX like this.
  11. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

38,800 Messages
    9,113 Likes Received
    Yeah, I wouldn't call them "set" at safety. But the young guys need to be given an opportunity.

12. MichaelWinicki

38,800 Messages
    9,113 Likes Received
    Didn't know Wilcox was white.

I better adjust my set.

Eanwen, guag, luvtheboys and 4 others like this.
  13. MichaelWinicki

38,800 Messages
    9,113 Likes Received
    This.

14. reddyuta

10,861 Messages
    3,750 Likes Received
    sure but they need a backup plan? what is the backup plan now-there is none.If they play like last season then we are toast.

15. MichaelWinicki

38,800 Messages
    9,113 Likes Received
    You can't fix the whole defense in one offseason.

brymatt94, casmith07 and dcstands4 like this.
  16. reddyuta

10,861 Messages
    3,750 Likes Received
    ofcourse.that ship has long sailed.we are in total rebuild mode even if Jerry doesnt want to admit it.

17. Proximo

2,255 Messages
    2,536 Likes Received
    This is ridiculous hyperbole that's not even close to true, nor is it humorous.

18. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

Wilcox could be decent. Church is a special teamer and the rest are hopeless.

19. Proximo

2,255 Messages
    2,536 Likes Received
    Your analysis is amazing. I'm also impressed that you nailed down J.J. Wilcox's limitations after not even a full 16 games of footage from his rookie year. What a wasted draft pick. Thanks for clearing this up for all of us.

theSHOW, brymatt94 and MichaelWinicki like this.
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

33,550 Messages
    35,503 Likes Received
    He fell asleep at the beach.

This is Broaddus we're talking about here. He's guessing. People need to stop acting like he's got some inside source within the organization. There is no way we are so stupid as to tell a writer what we're thinking in the upcoming draft.

Funxva, CooterBrown and waving monkey like this.