1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Broaddus| Larry Allen HOF

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 31, 2013.

1. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,546 Messages
    1,541 Likes Received
    On todays talkin' cowboys he said he's talked to a few people who vote and said they told him LA will get in, but dont think Haley will get it.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,497 Messages
    5,235 Likes Received
    That's as it should be.
  3. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,933 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    I know Haley is loved here, as he should be, but I'm not sure he's a HOFer. Yes he was a major contributor to a lot of championship teams, but he was never the focal point of any defense he was on. I know it's two different sports, but I'd almost compare him to Robert Horry. Really good player, not great, but he played on great teams.
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Haley was such a force though. I think he should get in.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    frankly they have lowered the standards to the point where he really should get in because they have let in less talented players already.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,783 Messages
    7,147 Likes Received
    I think that's a warped view of Haley anyway. He was definitely the focal point of our defense.
  7. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Haley was a great player, but he was made better by playing on teams with elite offenses and quarterbacks. He was a great pass rusher, but if he were playing on a team that was behind quite a bit his play would fall off quite a bit. It would be similar to the Colts two guys in their year of non-Hall of Fame quarterback purgatory.
  8. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I strongly disagree with this statement....Haley was feared by every tackle and qb he faced...if not for the way he treated people he would already be on
  9. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,488 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    He was about as focal a point as we had on defense those years. He was the difference between the defense being just good and great.
  10. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,933 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    I think the strength of those early 90s team was just how many D-line players we had.

In 92'

Haley had 6 sacks
    Tolbert had 8.5 sacks
    Jeffcoat had 10.5 sacks
    Casilias had 3 sacks
    Maryland had 2.5 sacks
    Lett had 3.5 sacks
    JJones had 4

We had 7 d-line players who could've been much better statistically, but became a dominant force due to the quantity of players at the position.

Yes I know he brought something to the table that can't be measured statistically, but he was not the guy, if there was even a guy that kept offensive coordinators up at night.
  11. sideon

sideon Active Member

220 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    You are in the minority on that one, not only was he a difference maker but anyone who speaks of him constantly talks about offenses game planning against him. Comparing him to Horry is very disrespectful since Horry just had to hit 1 shot during games whereas Haley had to be accounted for all 4 quarters.
  12. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,027 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    It's a complete joke that Haley isn't in the HOF... Dude was a terror! I agree no question Larry Allen will get in his first time up.
  13. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,056 Messages
    284 Likes Received
    Haley may not have outstanding sack numbers, but he seemed to be around the QB so frequently pressuring him into forcing quick throws and errant passes.
  14. L-O-Jete

L-O-Jete Member

889 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I'm guessing you're under 30 and never saw those teams play, Haley was without a doubt THE PLAYER from those SB winning Defenses. First time we beat the Bills Haley could've been the MVP if Aikman hadn't have had a near perfect game.

Since all you have is the stat sheets go get the qb pressures too, and guess why Jerruh spent his first pick or near the top) in several drafts on DE's (Carver, Pittman, Ellis, Ekubust, etc.) he wasn't looking for the next Tolbert or Jeffcoat he was looking for the next Haley.
  15. Tricericon

Tricericon Member

874 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  16. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

947 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I wonder if Haley had beef with the 9ers in his 2nd stinct with the team?

You would think Jerry and Steve would campaign for him.
  17. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Haley was the essential last piece of the puzzle for the 90's dynasty defense.

I'd say he was important.