1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Broaddus "The Draft Show"

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by InmanRoshi, Jan 18, 2013.

1. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    FWIW, Broaddus is going to host his own Draft Show on DallasCowboys.com today at 11 CST. I'm sure a stream archive will be up on the site under the Multimedia tab if you miss it.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,682 Messages
    4,233 Likes Received
    Tom Ciskowski was the guest.

He said that he requires his scouts to ignore team needs. He wants a "pure draft board" without being affected by need.

He did not say that the "war room" would completely ignore need when making the final decision.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,657 Messages
    2,031 Likes Received
    You really have to do it that way to properly evaluate the entire field.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,894 Messages
    7,320 Likes Received
    But....but.....but....

What about BPA at need?!
  5. Risen Star

20,894 Messages
    7,320 Likes Received
    As for Broaddus and the draft, he literally didn't know any of these players three weeks ago. He couldn't answer one question. Admitted he hasn't seen these players yet.

So join me for a laugh as me morphs into a draft expert in the coming weeks.
  6. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    On his twitter feeds, he announces daily which players he's watching tape of that day. You mean a guy who spent three weeks watching tape has more information to share than he did previous to when he did start watching tape? Great insight. I bet he has insights after attending the Senior Bowl that he didn't have last week too.

He clearly doesn't have the expertise of the sofa scouts who have spent the last 3 months worth of Saturdays on NFLDraftDork.com evaluating players from TV camera angles with their faces stuck in a trough of nachos, regurgitating exactly what everyone else on the internet draft hivemind is saying.
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,299 Messages
    1,189 Likes Received
    they do not generally rate players 1,2,3,4,5 et al.

They rate guys in groups.

Inside those groupings they can choose based on need.

we've seen a couple draft boards now so have some idea of what it looks like.

usually a group of guys graded by round but no expectation of having 32 guys in each one.
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,299 Messages
    1,189 Likes Received
    I really respect Broaddus in many ways but unfortunately his draft evaluation skills have proven brutally flawed the past few drafts.

This is the guy who really loved David Arkin for instance.

I am sure he has a better handle than an average fan but it is no longer his job to scout year round and he was fired by BP for a reason: the scouting dept was failing miserably.

There are certain players I have seen enough of to form a realistic opinion and in those cases if I disagree with Broaddus I no longer assume myself wrong. With most professional personnel guys I would.
  9. Risen Star

20,894 Messages
    7,320 Likes Received
    I forgot more about these prospects than a hack like Bryan Broaddus will ever know.

Anybody who pays attention to college football and the draft can make the same claim.

You're talking about a guy who literally didn't know the names of most of these players three weeks ago and now he's giving draft advice? Spare me.
  10. Risen Star

20,894 Messages
    7,320 Likes Received
    Players are often clustered. But only because of grade. Sure need can and will factor in when the quality of the prospect is relatively the same. We're talking about when it's not the same. When there is a clear cut superior prospect on the board. In that case you never consider need over talent.
  11. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,775 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
    And I think the Cowboys have done that, i.e. gone for the superior prospect as opposed to drafting for need, the last couple drafts to a great extent.
  12. nickjamesw43

nickjamesw43 Active Member

379 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    My understanding of it is they assign a grade of 1-100 to each player. I remember Jerry saying they had Mendenhall as a 96 and Felix as a 95. Watching the show Broaddus says both Merriman and Ware had a grade of 100.

Need is a tie breaker at best. I don't think there's any team in the league that actually drafts the way cowboy fans want us to draft every year.

It drives me nuts when I see guys with their mock drafts like so:

Round 1: OL
    Round 2: Safety
    ROund 3: DL...ect.

Nobody in the league actually does that. Any GM who assigns what position he's going to pick prior to knowing what players are on the board is completely incompetent.
  13. nickjamesw43

nickjamesw43 Active Member

379 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Actually Broaddus said the last grade in the first round is a 119 and the first grade in the second round is a 120. So yeah it's not 1 to 100 like I thought perhaps I'm misremembering jones here. The podcast is definitely worth a listen but it's long.

Edit: Apparently they had lesean McCoy as a first round grade in 09 but traded down out of the second round instead of taking him. There's a ton of inside stuff here.
  14. Risen Star

20,894 Messages
    7,320 Likes Received
    I think they have too. Though I certainly don't agree with their value board at times. Like Claiborne being more value than 14 and 45.
  15. Risen Star

20,894 Messages
    7,320 Likes Received
    People should have to read that before getting into the draft zone.

More and more fans seem to want to treat the draft like it's an extension of veteran free agency. If they don't come right out and cry for need they'll talk in code like "first year production" or "BPA amongst needs".

There's only one right way to approach the draft and that's letting the scouts earn their money, stick to that board and pick accordingly. Do that and in time you'll find yourself a whole lot less needy and always "be in a position to draft BPA". Another one of my favorites.

Or you'll need to revamp your scouting department.
  16. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,611 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    Well I have a massive hatred for need based drafts, and its also why I've never made a mock draft. I always find it funny when guys say a pick was a reach....not knowing anything about that teams draft board. You just never know who will be available or what trades will pop up, the process is just too unpredictable to 'mock' unless you are picking in the top 5-10.

I always find it interesting though after a draft all the yelling that goes on that 'we didn't need that' and such. Don't know how many times people have to read that free agency is about need not the draft, but apparently they just don't want listen and go out like the famous Cowboy 2000 draft of CBs or reaching for DEs year after year like we have done in the past.

I really like our last 3 drafts, drafting solid players instead of absolute needs. While it is fun to see mocks, come draft day they are totally useless and I'm glad the Cowboys have gone with BPA lately more than reaching for some need based lesser player. Stay with your board staff, forget all this need talk and what other people think your board should look like who don't really have a clue what they are talking about.
  17. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,649 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Why? Broaddus's is former pro scout, that covers the Cowboys. Now that its the offseason, hes studying up on college football prospects. Do you know, or have a list of college prospects for the upcoming draft? if you follow Broaddus on twitter(I do), you would know that he has been listing college OL and DL prospects for about a week now on twitter.
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,682 Messages
    4,233 Likes Received
    Broaddus occasionally has something interesting to say; however, he seems lazy to me.

For a media guy who's claim to fame is being a ex-scout, I would expect him to put more/earlier effort into the draft.
  19. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,776 Messages
    3,440 Likes Received
    I think that's the best way for the scouts to work. It's really the only way.

It's up to the GM and the HC to decide which players are going to fit the team best.
  20. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,956 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    and so it begins..........................