1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Broaddus "The Draft Show"

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by InmanRoshi, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,746 Messages
    10,041 Likes Received
    You've put in 10 times the study of these draft prospects than Broaddus has. I'd rather ask you the question than him.

I crap you negative, about two weeks ago when he first started to attempt to answer draft questions somebody told him to check out Larry Warford. That Warford handled his boy Sharrif Floyd. Which must have been one of the first players he looked at and he really liked.

Broaddus' response back? "Florida didn't play Alabama this year."

Good stuff. Can't wait for the next draft show. I'll have my pen and paper at the ready.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,746 Messages
    10,041 Likes Received
    The best players would always fit my team in the draft.

I'll worry about needs in March.
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    ROFL. No offense but everyone here who pans need based drafts has put up mocks so harshly directed at specific needs it is laughable.

The biggest thing actual scouts get that we as fans do not is a guy's back story and work ethic. The main thing that would change how I view a player is his work ethic and determination.

After the insane amount of youtube cut ups, senior bowl workouts and game, 30 games on each saturday... I am very confident I can tell if a known major conference guy is a player or not. What I do not know is if this guy will max out on some other level or if he has already maxed out. And I don't always know if two guys very similar which is really the better player unless they have faced common opponents. AND I may not know that a guy battled valiantly but looked overmatched while playing with say a high ankle sprain.

This stuff really is complicated. You really can not have too much information.
  4. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,510 Messages
    681 Likes Received
    Have you spent time in the NFL as a scout? Because Broaddus has, and he has access to actual game film, not youtube cut-ups of television broadcasts.

I agree that we have enough at our disposal to form our own opinions on prospects, but our resources are not even close to what NFL scouts have access to, or Brian Broaddus for that matter.

It's fun to learn more about prospects as a fan, but our evaluations will never be as legit as the guys who actually do this for a living.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,742 Messages
    5,902 Likes Received
    Agree. The "back story" and work ethic are critical factors. I think that this is the area where Garrett has contributed the most to the process.

The Cowboys have had many failed draft picks in the past due to these issues. The OT Brewster from 2009 had good ability but was lazy and didn't really like football. I believe that Garrett has the draft process focused on character, work ethic, etc..
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,742 Messages
    5,902 Likes Received
    I think the point is that Broaddus is not a scout anymore for a reason. He has said that he would jump at the chance to get back into scouting, but has not been able to get a job doing it.
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    The real distinction there is that broaddus is no longer an NFL scout. He is a media member who scouts for entertainment purposes and not year round or for a living anymore. He doesn't scout college football even as much as average fans. He is totally focused on the Cowboys during the NFL/college season. The film he actually has access to is of the Cowboys. Not college players.

His experience gives him an edge on draftniks but the blurry line between draftniks and NFL personnel is getting cloudier all the time. When I first did mock drafts with guys over 10 years ago we'd have many folks who ended up working for scouting services, media outlets or even NFL teams. (Guys like Chris Horwedel, Matt Miller et al.) Most draftniks are one internship away from an actual NFL job. It just takes the basics of passion and desire. Teams give you guidelines as to what they value so 80% of the work is done for you.

The only thing that matters to me is a track record. Show me how a guy rated players and hit above the "consensus" and I'll take him seriously.