1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recap: Broaddus: Some Early Observations From Sunday's Scrimmage

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dmq, Jul 29, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

9,949 Messages
    2,841 Likes Received
    No, I think Parnell has better upside than Free. The problem is that he needs the coaches to take a chance and give him playing time in real games. That seems unlikely to happen now that he has been out with the hamstring injury.

Despite the positive reports on Free, I did see him get blown up in a bull rush by the 270 lb DE Selvie. I saw it on one of the videos from the cowboys website.
  2. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,413 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    I agree with this assessment. Personally, I'm rooting for a lineup of Smith-Leary-Fred-Arkin-Free. That gives us a young base that can grow together. Ideally, Free would be replaced next draft and our line will be set for some time.
  3. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,198 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    Has there been any word about a timetable for Parnell to get back to practicing? If this hamstring thing drags out much longer, the competition is probably over before it ever started.
  4. honyock

1,198 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    Yeah, that'd be great to have the young guys all ready to start by game 1. Whether the coaches would have the nerve to put three new young starters on the interior, I guess that's another question.
  5. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,282 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    I hope you are right but I am a little dubious.

Parnell has not shown (me anyway) a consistent ability to play solid technique along with an ability to carry out his assignments. He shows flashes but his unknown talent does not justify putting him out there and letting him go.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,966 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received

Parnells' problem is that he really is so inexperienced. At not just tackle but football. Remember he never played in college for all intents and purposes. These injuries really do not help. Oh well
  7. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,282 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    Yup! Its his instincts and football IQ that worry me. Do the Cowboys trust his talent alone to put him out there as the starter? I don't think so.

As for his injury, any chance of developing and competing (for a starting job) is probably gone.
  8. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    You arent... but with the injury it doesnt look good for us.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,769 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    We did something similar in 2011 with Smith, Costa, and Nagy.
  10. honyock

1,198 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    That's true, although wasn't Nagy starting because someone had gotten hurt? I'm thinking he was filling in at guard, but can't remember now for who.