1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Broaddus: Some Thoughts Entering Three-Day Minicamp

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 11, 2013.

1. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I agree. I think at this point a 6 person OL is the way we have to go.
  2. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I agree, but im not sure how much his ability to anchor is going to change. Im sure he could have gotten a bit stronger, but im not sure his arms are going to get longer. If guys can still get up into him easily, it seems like it would be really hard for him to anchor against big DT's without getting knocked back alot of the time like in the past.

I feel like he'd be better suited at OG, if he shows he's capable of starting anywhere.. not that im any kind of an OL expert.
  3. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I honestly wouldn't worry too much about this. I really don't believe they've even considered a switch. The only one i've even seen mention it so far has been Broaddus.. and while i normally enjoy his write ups and believe he's a really knowledgable guy to listen to.. you do have to seperate his tweets into his actual information and when he's just giving his opinion.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    wini is a Costa homer. While not as bad as Theogt, not far off.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,949 Messages
    7,698 Likes Received
    According to couchscout, anyway, Costa's issues with anchoring were primarily related to his ability to get set in pass pro quickly enough. This was something the coaches were apparently working with him on in mid 2011 because they believed it to be correctible, and, again according to couchscout, it was something he made real progress with late that season. FWTW.

For my own part, I thought Costa did get a lot better with reps in 2011, and I think it carried over to what little he played in 2012. I think he gives Frederick a run for his money in camp. That said, much like Jenkins v. Mo last year, I don't think it's going to matter all that much. Frederick fits what Callahan wants to do, physically, better than Costa does, so, unless we really have nobody able to step up at all at RG, Frederick's very likely to be the starting C on this team if he plays as well has he should be able to play, given the OL pedigree from his alma mater.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,030 Messages
    4,536 Likes Received
    I think they will put the best combination of five out there. If Fred is the best G or at least near equal with the rest and Costa is close to Fred at C then I see no reason to not put Costa at C and Fred at G. Then the rest will fight it out for the remaining G position.

I know a lot of people are down on Bernie and less on Livings but both can play albeit inconsistently. I saw Bernie make some fantastic blocks last year. Then he'd whiff. I think we'll just have to wait and see how they all perform up to the season opener. The only person who I think has a position locked down is Smith.
  7. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    That's some good info, and while i have no doubt coachscout is spot on with his assessment about getting set in protection more quickly, i still wonder about Costa's t rex arms and strength. I feel like if the DT's can get into his body, they can pretty much have their way with him. Again, not an OL expert, but it'd be cool to hear if CS had any input about that.
  8. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,899 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    If they have I believe Jerry has squashed it, we all know how JJ feels about his 1st rounders...

I just hope the healthiest guys are on the field when it's game time, no more lingering recoveries and 80% efforts...
  9. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,568 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Read a report yesterday I think where Broaddus was openly pining for the team consider a line that started both Frederick & Costa but he lamented that he sees no indication that Dallas is open to that. Rather, its Costa & Frederick at C, the best man wins, and its essentially Frederick's job to lose.

Count me amongst those that is intrigued with Costa and hoping we truly get the best 5 on thta starting line.
  10. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received

....and the more they say the same.
  11. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,983 Messages
    2,006 Likes Received
    Ive said it over and over. Frederick just looks the part of a big nasty guard. Line him up next to Tyron and thats money.