1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Broaddus/Sturm/Vela Draft Twitter Convo

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 18, 2013.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,492 Messages
    2,372 Likes Received
    Thanks.
    I thought there was some way to get a 5th year without a new contract on 1st rounders. But I forgot that it was an option and not an outright contract.
  2. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,728 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Thank you. I knew there was some form of option for the 5th year.
  3. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    I think both guards will be there at 18...
  4. Mr_Bill

Mr_Bill Member

383 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    The point that I am trying to make here is that free agency is not a good way to build a team. Every successful team in the NFL has built through the draft. I don't believe there has been an exception since the heyday of George Allen. Free agency is useful to fill holes in your lineup caused by draft failures, injury, retirement, etc. It is not an effective method of compiling a winning roster.

I hope you are not advocating that a team could be successful letting all but a couple of superstars go at the end of their first contracts and replacing them with free agents. Free agency is useful when needed, but it should never be a team's primary team-building strategy.

Nor do I ever want my team to rationalize its draft blunders by saying, "Oh, well! We can just replace that bum with a free agent." They will probably have to resort to that remedy on occasion, but it's a bad habit to get into.

Continuity is good. Disruption is bad.
  5. Mr_Bill

Mr_Bill Member

383 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Another point here.

You mentioned Carr. The reason we needed to sign Carr was because Newman was in steep decline and Jenkins was inconsistent. Had Mike Jenkins been more reliable, we would have given him a nice contract to stay. I believe that is a point you have been making -- that it would be similar to the one we gave Carr. Here's the problem. I think we made a wise choice with Carr. But the jury is still out on that. One season is not enough to evaluate that signing. He was good, but he didn't make me forget Deion Sanders or even a younger Terence Newman. It will take more time to determine whether that really was a wise signing or not.
  6. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,436 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    Be funny if Fluker as a tackle ends up going before both of the highly regarded guards.
  7. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,401 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    There's a chance that will happen. San Diego at #11 really needs a tackle and there's some buzz that they're interested in Fluker there.