1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Broaddus Thoughts from Day 1 of Cowboys Rookie Mini Camp

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, May 4, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,398 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    Here are some of my thoughts from Day 1:

· Really liked the movement that cornerbacks Mario Butler and Isaac Madison showed. Was really impressed with how they were able to play with quickness and position in the routes. There was not much separation from receivers or windows for the quarterbacks to throw in.

· Linebacker Kyle Wilber as the Sam linebacker had two good practices. He was impressive in the way that he played in coverage, carrying running back Darrell Scott up the field deflecting the ball that Lionel Smith intercepted. He also showed his ability to run from the backside to make a play on the ball carrier behind the line of scrimmage.

· Wide Receiver Danny Coale can run all day, along with Cole Beasley from SMU. At the end of the 2nd practice, they were taking the majority of the reps because the other receivers were struggling with the heat. Coale had some nice batlles today and didn't look out of place one bit. When you studied him at Virginia Tech, he ran just a handful of routes but in the NFL, he will be asked to do more and he should be able to.

read more: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/b...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    It is so nice to get read these after such a loooong time without football news other than fa and draft talk.
  3. MoClaiborne24

MoClaiborne24 Member

456 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Amen to that!

:starspin
  4. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,362 Messages
    763 Likes Received
    Good to see Hamilton bringing it! I also like both of the speedy slot receivers...
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,173 Messages
    2,800 Likes Received
    Isn't that the truth.
  6. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Great info, thanks
  7. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,543 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Well, so far it sounds like we hit on everybody. ;)
  8. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So Hannah is having some trouble consistently catching the ball. Could just be nerves now but our WR coach should spot what the problem is and work with him; i.e. hold hands in different position, etc. We really need a good #3 TE who can block but also is a legit receiver; also would be nice if Hannah or the other TE at practice down the road proves to be Witten's eventual successor.
  9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,483 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Good first report. Can wait to see how these guys perform later on with the rest of the team.
  10. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,146 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    Comments like this one at the end of this article is why I come here to talk about the Cowboys instead of going elsewhere:

:banghead:
  11. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Looks like neither of those quarterbacks are keepers...

I have to wonder why nobody has signed Patrick Witt yet, but he's still looking for work the last I heard... weren't there reports that Garrett really liked him??
  12. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,072 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    I like this Coale kid, he doesn't drop a pass...
  13. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,876 Messages
    1,767 Likes Received
    I agree. I am really glad we landed him.
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,170 Messages
    4,349 Likes Received
    Marty who?
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    Every time I hear someone talk about a WR as how big and fast and quick and how high he can jump I ask this"

"Can he CATCH the ball? Because if he can't none of the rest of that means crap."
  16. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,329 Messages
    274 Likes Received
    If Wilber and Crawford can get into the rotation and help our pass rush, it will be huge...I think both Ware and Spencer play entirely too many snaps to be fully effective.
  17. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Since we are probably going to leave 5th CB to a camp battle, the initial battle with Butler and Madison should be interesting with Madison having a huge edge in athleticism over Butler.

I like what I'm hearing about most of the players, but of course Hanna's hands are a big concern. His athleticism would have a huge impact on our offense, but somehow we need to increase his concentration on the ball cause he can catch, just not consistently. Starting to think Hanna will be our biggest boom or bust pick in this draft.
  18. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    At this point it all sounds like speculation based on their Ivy league QB roots. If Garrett wanted him he's clearly available.

I'm a little disappointed because the kid has a good head, a decent arm and a good work ethic. That is pretty much well the kit you need to play QB in the NFL. My best guess is that he has looked bad throwing the ball and that's why no one has inked him yet.
  19. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Don't count out Hamilton until we see him lineup against NFL competition. The kid looked downright dominant last year - like unblockable one on one dominant.
  20. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    When I looked up his numbers, the only thing that gave me pause was his interception percentage, which was kind of high...