1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Broaddus| TJ McDonald

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 21, 2013.

1. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,570 Messages
    1,575 Likes Received
  2. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

864 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    TJ is interesting. Coming out of high school he was ranked second at safety in the country.

When he got USC he played well and seemed to regress a little this year. Now, I may be wrong, but I think a lot of this has to do with his father Tim. Tim McDonald was the head coach at Edison High School and was great at coaching up the secondary, hence McDonald's rise as a prospect coming out of high school.

Fast forward to now, Tim is the secondary coach at Fresno State where they produced 22 interceptions this season, which I believe was second in the nation.
    Also, he is responsible for helping Phillip Thomas (S) become leader in picks in the country with 8.

I guess what I am saying is, in the off season TJ may have been and is probably still training with his father at the safety position, so it is likely TJ has shown a whole lot more improvement coming up to the game, with just a little coaching from pops. I think this is not only a testament to how coachable TJ may be, but also how good of a coach Tim is for the secondary.

Dallas should def look at TJ as he may drop, but also keep an eye out for Phillip Thomas(BALLHAWK).

Tim McDonald, safety, was voted to the pro-bowl 6-times, for two different teams.
  3. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,570 Messages
    1,575 Likes Received
    I'd be all for Dallas drafting him in round 2

Posted from Cowboyszone.com App for Android
  4. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,421 Messages
    1,021 Likes Received
    That is some great info right there! Thank you for that little bit! Good stuff. Makes me really want to know more about TJ
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,869 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    I'm having a really hard time seeing us taking another safety in this draft. We've got too many resources tied up there already so go and spend a high pick on one.

Of course, we've had PLENTY of chances actually DRAFT a decent safety but we've passed so many times that being in this situation was inevitable.
  6. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Wouldn't mind Mcdonald at all. He's not my first choice, but hey. At least he knows the scheme among other things.
  7. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,160 Messages
    810 Likes Received
    He's a good SS prospect. Hard hitter w/ good size at 6'2 1/2 and 205 lbs. and is really good against the run. Strong kid that can shed blocks and make plays. His strength is playing in the box and blitzing. But he's not great in coverage, and that's where you need to be solid in the NFL. Not saying he can't be, but he wasn't this past year in college.

He also struggles a bit with play recognition. He seemed to regress a little this year from his junior year. I like other Safeties better, especially in coverage, but he's a solid SS prospect. No higher than the 3rd round though imo.

In the Tampa 2 we need a Safety who can really cover the field and be a ball hawk. This is not McDonald's strength. He reminds me of Roy Williams a little bit in his playing style so that might be why I'm a bit hesitant. Here's a few of his highlights.

[youtube]cFhM3A6EqU0[/youtube]
  8. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,649 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    With Kiffin on staff, there is a connection.
  9. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,170 Messages
    1,141 Likes Received
    Pass. I saw him and Monte together for three years not impressed. Dont want any safety that isnt better in coverage than anything else, meaning TJ.
  10. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,570 Messages
    1,575 Likes Received

11. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,570 Messages
    1,575 Likes Received
    unproven resources. Dallas needs this.

12. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    As of right now, I've seen him with 3rd-4th round grades. Lots of better options to be had in round 2.
  13. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,531 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    We could likely get him in round 4.q
  14. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,570 Messages
    1,575 Likes Received
    maybe round 3. but I think hell rise with his workouts

15. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,940 Messages
    1,323 Likes Received
    I'm going to get another grey hair for every day that passes without mention of Rambo.
  16. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

1,781 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    I'd rather have Phillip Thomas in rd 3-4. He would suit our defense a whole lot better.
  17. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,418 Messages
    573 Likes Received
    He's got a lot of talent, the problem I've always had with him was he's one of those guys who's satisfied with his teammates making the tackle. He has a lot of film out there that makes you question his effort and passion for the game.

But like I said, he's got legit talent... nothing like the stiff Taylor Mays who he gets compared to, this kid is extremely fluid for his size. Just wish he stepped up a little more and played to his ability on a consistent basis at SC. Hard to overlook a lack of effort.

Then again, Kiffin would know him better than anyone and if he wants him I'm not gonna question it.
  18. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,462 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Bacarri Rambo in the 2nd. Please and thank you. Perfect safety for the new defense we will run.
  19. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,974 Messages
    570 Likes Received
    I think the reason why it looked like McDonald regressed this year is because of the other guys USC was throwing out there in the secondary around him. Their coners were pretty awful.

And who exactly are these "resources" that we have at the safety position? Matt Johnson????? Please don't say Matt Johnson, or Gerald Sensabaugh, or Barry Church for that matter. None of those guys are even close to the type of guys that would prevent you from drafting a young talented player if the value is right.
  20. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I really liked his tape from the Stanford game. Amazing versatility. He played in the box, single high,nickel linebacker. They even played hin a lot as a standup 9 tech in dime packages rushing the passer, which you hardly ever see out of a safety. Those that think that Kiffin is just going to sit his safeties back in Cover 2 the entire game really need to get past elementary school definitions of what the scheme does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcjvW1yA73A