1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Broaddus Twitter Q&A - 06/04/14

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Manster54

Manster54 Active Member

854 Messages
    51 Likes Received
  2. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,933 Messages
    476 Likes Received
  3. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,731 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    Well, he was a scout for a number of years. And going by his tweets, he spends a lot of time studying tape of college players leading up to the draft. I mean, sure, you take any analysis with a grain of salt, but I think he puts in as much time in the film room as many of the other draft guys.
  4. Manster54

Manster54 Active Member

854 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    Neither did I until I searched his name today. I really feel for him and his family.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,890 Messages
    7,634 Likes Received
  6. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,927 Messages
    4,490 Likes Received
    If you're saying Jerry keeping Woicick and the fact we are getting hamstring injuries then you're barking up the wrong tree most likely. Since neither of us know what Woicick is or isn't doing in regards to hamstring injuries then we can't say much about it at all. It's extremely unlikely he doesn't know how to prevent hamstring injuries. That'd be like saying a well trained surgeon doesn't know how to do a simple excision.
  7. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,851 Messages
    2,335 Likes Received
    Maybe the trained surgeon is using techniques that are 20 years old

Maybe he is getting older and his hand is not as steady as it used to be

Lots of reasons
  8. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,923 Likes Received
  9. jobberone

38,927 Messages
    4,490 Likes Received
    Yeah, he probably forgot everything he learned from all those SB seasons and the rest is just outdated.
    Proximo likes this.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,636 Messages
    5,549 Likes Received
  11. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,915 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    Here is the problem: I could be wrong, but I beleive the NFLPA has removed much of the trainers say in how players prepare, meaning that ultimately it is up to the player to apply what the trainers are recommending. So you can lead a horse to water...
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,890 Messages
    7,634 Likes Received
    The newfangled hamstrings on these kids today are a lot more complicated than the older models, though. The new hamstring stretching instructions, I hear, are outstanding. Though I haven't read them because I can't figure out how to get my new iPad to open up.
    jobberone and Proximo like this.
  13. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,851 Messages
    2,335 Likes Received
    We have an inordinate number of injuries year after year

If 4 of 10 patients develop a post op infection on a week, it is not the patient
    When there is a pattern, the individual may be partially responsible, but it is ususlly a systemic problem

Ignoring it will not make it go away

But "Jerry is too loyal" to fire him

Lol
  14. jobberone

38,927 Messages
    4,490 Likes Received
    Yeah, old guy can't stop those achilles tendon, ACL, shoulder separations and the like every year. We all know those aren't due to violent collisions, deceleration/torsion injuries or excessive and repetitive strain on tendons, yada which are inherent risks of a violent sport.

The hamstring injuries concern me a tad but until I look around the league and see the numbers of hamstring injuries on every team in the league then look at the incident in rugby, soccer and the like I'm not going to make an informed judgment about the professional abilities of a man most people in the league consider to be the finest trainer in football.

For me to make a professional judgment that another professional in roughly the same field is incompetent and needs to be fired, I'd have to know quite a lot more than what I can clean from my desk here sitting behind this computer.

Injuries in football, either contact or non-contact, are going to follow a bell shaped curve roughly with ups and downs every year. But they are going to average out over time. I'm betting if you look at the numbers of injuries under Woicick's tours of duty throughout his career you'll find him to be more than capable.

As far as new ideas on stretching etc I'll give you a lot can be said for players cross training in yoga, martial arts, etc. The problem here is getting players to adhere to any plan of action you make for them. Many 'patients' whether on or off the sports field are just not compliant. You can't hang someone else over their refusal and inability to follow a course of action. Generally, until new training methods are time proven and scientifically studied and vetted then it's my experience to be judicious in treating your patients with it.

And there appears to be some players who always are having problems with their muscles in some form or another. I'm not sure what anyone can do for these players. They MAY indeed be 'injury' prone although that's totally anecdotal on my part.

To summarize, any sitting behind a computer can form a judgment about someone and the internet gives them liberty to share it with others. Those opinions are going to follow a bell shaped curve as well. On the left will be those trolling and on the right will be balanced, well informed and fair opinions.
    Vintage likes this.
  15. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,958 Messages
    1,520 Likes Received
    I am no longer worried about hammies, we have the ballet bars!!!! problem solved, next topic
    jobberone likes this.
  16. PhillyCowboysFan

PhillyCowboysFan Member

838 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Wow! Just WOW!

That story is very sad and scary.

"Three days after admission, he tried to do just that, using sharp implements the staff had left in his room to inflict a traumatic brain injury on himself."

I have never heard of someone trying to "end it" that way.