1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Broncos Split On Pick.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Apr 27, 2011.

1. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Straight from my blackberry to Cowboyszone. Very trusted source says even day before draft Broncos not sure if Dareus or Patrick Peterson is the pick. DL depth in this draft making them lean towards Peterson.
  2. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wouldnt be a huge shock to me if they picked PP. They are hurting just about everywhere on defense, and Champ Bailey is old.
  3. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,653 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    So who would take Dareus if Denver takes Peterson? Wouldnt be much we could do about it at pick #2.
  4. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,037 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Damn, well that would kinda ruin our dreams of Peterson then lol but at least Denver is being smart and considering the two best players in the draft, good for them. If Peterson is gone, it would probably force us to be logical and address the O-Line. I would love Peterson though, hopefully they go Dareus.
  5. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would imagine several teams would consider him. He might even fall in our laps at 9 if he doesnt go 1 or 2.
  6. Jaxonsdaddd

Jaxonsdaddd Member

327 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    wow that would surprise me a little. I always sort of had it planned in my mind that they would either go Dareus or Von Miller. Thinking that really bad defenses need to bolster the front 7 and that CB's are sort of secondary. pardon the pun
  7. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,037 Messages
    129 Likes Received

That's doubtful but it would be amazing if it happened. Any scenarios in mind?
  8. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,284 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    There are plenty of teams that would take Dareus

Buf
    Cincy
    AZ
    Cle
    SF

lol, that's every team after the broncos
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Peterson also gives them a top punt returner; so you also boost your special teams.
  10. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,284 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    I like Dareus' punt return skills
    more..but I could be biased
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,395 Messages
    3,638 Likes Received
    Someone on NFLN made a decent argument last night I think it was about this very topic.

How you could justify rating a player higher if was also a dynamic returner. But then went on to say that if taken high enough that a team might be hesitant to play him in that role due to being afraid of him getting hurt. So it is an interesting argument.

I think we seen that used when Newman was taken as an added justification for the pick but then they rarely used him in that role.

But with Dez, taken lower, they threw him right into the mix in that role.

Just interesting.
  12. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,728 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    I think they'll go with Dareus. He'll make a bigger year 1 impact, safer prospect, Suh's recent success will force them in that direction
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,395 Messages
    3,638 Likes Received
    Considering them taking Peterson over Dareus.

Who ever made the argument for them that DL is more available in this draft made a good argument.

You get a top player in the secondary...next pick you should still have a few decent DLineman available to the point of probably higher rated quality than the Secondary players left.

Now...if they do go this route a couple of things.

We lose out on Peterson. Duh I know Captain obvious. But it also narrows down our choices in scenarios which could be a good thing. It would prevent a possible over trade as well. I know going into the draft Jerry might say they would only be willing to trade this or that to get a player but who knows if that would change once the draft starts and he really wants the player.

Secondly...somebody is going to be very happy that Dareus did not go #1 or #2 (again if carolina and denver do not take him) because they are going to get a player that falls to them that arguably is the best overall player in the draft.
  14. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    this is Rosanna Rossana Danna speaking and I don't understand why the broncos want to spit on their draft pick... don't they like the guy...why take him if they don't like him...Its just not a civil thing to do....

whats that...split?!! oh nevermind than.
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,728 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    nevermind, read that wrong
  16. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I've said all along I thought Denver would take Peterson. The only person I thought they *could* take over Peterson would have been Fairley, but obviously his stock has been dropping to the point I think the earliest he goes is to the Titans at 8. If he doesn't go at 8, he drops out of the top 10.

I think Darius is the safest pick, but PP has the best chance to become a HoF player out of the box. (I'm in no way saying he will, I'm just saying the potential is there) Top that off with Denver needing to replace Champ soon enough. Peterson SOLD to Denver at #2
  17. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,728 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    I originally read this thread thinking it was about the Panters. Nevermind what I said earlier. Give me Peterson instead. DL will be there in the second round
  18. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Doubt it. If Darius doesn't go first overall and Denver takes PP, then Darius is definitely gone at #5 to Arizona. Gabbert is gone at either #3 or #4.

Cam is gone at #1 or #3. If not he could slide out of the top 10 too. (if nobody trades up)
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I would be very wary of taking Dareus with a #2 pick. If you're taking a DL with the #2 pick, don't you want a little more production than 12.5 combined sacks, TFLs, and hurries? Seems rather pedestrian for a Top 3 pick. If you just want a pedestrian block absorber who's not going to make any big plays, might as well wait until the 2nd and take Phil Taylor.
  20. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,486 Messages
    1,712 Likes Received
    It would me.

Peterson is my prize, but it would shock me to my shorts.