1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Bruce Carter benching explained

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,677 Messages
    4,947 Likes Received
    Eberflus clearly spoke in generalities as you stated.

Todd Archer's blurb here might explain things a little better:

Apparently they want to see more fire in the belly, so it stands to reason if they take a shot at his pride by benching him that he might come around.

Honestly, he just does not look as comfortable out on an island in the 4-3. In the 3-4, he could be covered up to an extent or at least not find himself in a position to be targeted. He has said so himself he is unsure and finds it hard to play fast thinking too much. He looked good blitzing earlier in the year and had a bad drop for a pick six against the Chiefs. It might just be a case where if he makes a big play he gets his confidence back.
  2. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,366 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    This guy needs to rush the passer more IMO. There isn't a QB in the league that can run away from him.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    I hope Carter starts but I'm not going to kid myself and think I know what is going on at Valley Ranch. When the staff feels he has earned his way back to the starting lineup he will start and hopefully be better off because of this move the staff has made.
  4. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,905 Messages
    1,010 Likes Received
    This. And why not consider moving him and Lee around; both can play the Mike, I think, so why not switch them around. I'd love to see Carter blitzing from the Mike position.
  5. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

5,978 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    What's your point? His head coach has a LOT of problems when it comes to "situational awareness".
  6. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,621 Messages
    329 Likes Received
    I don't think Carter has fully grasped Kiffin's defense. I think that's what he meant when he said he was over analyzing instead of just playing. He started last season and he was great at ILB, but he had been studying to play there in the 3-4 his whole brief career. Now he is on the outside and it is a learning process. I think that by the end of the season he will be stellar, but there is some learning curve here. I think the coaches are trying to push him to work harder at learning the nuances of the new position.
  7. CooterBrown

1,621 Messages
    329 Likes Received
    Speaking of Carter, I think he has the speed to pull a Hollywood Henderson on a kickoff return. Oh, wait, that would require some deception and apparently Garrett doesn't believe in that.
  8. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,399 Messages
    1,576 Likes Received
    Good one.

I chuckled at that.
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  9. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,662 Messages
    6,399 Likes Received
    It took a couple days, but I'm glad somebody got it. lol
  10. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,399 Messages
    1,576 Likes Received
    I don't disagree with you here.

I think- like has been said about Dez: he needs to perfect his craft.
    He'll do it a lot faster on the field. They don't have much to lose, really.
  11. CooterBrown

1,621 Messages
    329 Likes Received
    I think so too. Let him play and live with an occasional mistake. He will get better faster by playing than he will by watching.
    Corso likes this.
  12. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,469 Messages
    954 Likes Received
    It sounds like you want to argue, and I really don't want to do that. I'm talking about Bruce Carter and you're talking about Jason Garrett, so it just isn't going to go anywhere.
  13. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,194 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    Let us take a walk down mamory lane. Carters was benched because he suked.
    Now we want to resurrect him as a good player on one of the NFL's worst defenses.

But I agree: Let Carter have another chance but don't make him out to be another Ken Norton Jr.
  14. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,522 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    i find it hard to believe that anyone on the team has played a worst half of football than what Sims displayed in the 1st half on Sunday. Carter admittedly had a difficult time with Woodhead, who can be a tough matchup, but nothing close to the debacle from Sims we just witnessed. Let the talented youngin play. Sims is what he is - a JAG.
  15. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,397 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    In Carter's defense, it's hard to show a whole lot of emotion when you're getting absolutely lit up by another player. So Carter internalizes when he is making mistakes, hopefully in an attempt to rectify them, I have seen him show plenty of thunder when he makes big plays.

In other words this was a "send a message" benching...
  16. HowAboutThemCowboys

HowAboutThemCowboys Well-Known Member

3,078 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    I am no expert on the 4-3 but our LB's only have two sacks among them and both are Carter's. Is it normal for the LB in this def to not get many sacks?
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,096 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    This is total B.S. EVERYONE knows Carter is way better than Sims!!!!!
    50cent likes this.
  18. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

5,978 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    No, I was actually joking around, which is very easy to do where Jason Garrett is concerned.
  19. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,717 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    If it's deserved, then it should happen. If he can't respond to this, he's not cut out for the NFL. Sure, if you keep messing with a guy, you can screw him up. Don't think that's happening here. We're talking, what? 9 games? That's nothing. It's about setting a standard, and expecting him to achieve it. If he doesn't, he has to be held accountable.
  20. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,717 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    Danny Woodhead sure thinks so :p