1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Bryant's Unsportsman-like Conduct Penalty

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by danielofthesaints, Sep 23, 2013.

1. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,482 Messages
    1,259 Likes Received
    That's probably against the human relations laws in Canada. Watch Out!
  2. Awakened

Awakened the Dude abides

800 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Garrett: Wow, Dez, you can really jump high! That was awesome!
    Dez: Thanks Coach, but that's nothin. I can jump so high you'd think I was flyin.
    Garrett: Really, like, how high?
    Dez: I can jump over the goalposts on a good today, and today is a good day.
    Garrett: Holy Crap! Listen, if I get the guys to come out here after the game, would you show us?
    Dez: Sure coach, anything for the team
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,812 Messages
    4,888 Likes Received
    Why is that?

Clearly the NFL disagrees with you because of the message it sends.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I've seen some people say it's "Weapon X". I dunno. Whatever it is, it just means he's killing it when he's doing it.
  5. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Hahaha.

I'm sorry but I was just thinking, "do people actually think he has to sit there and go full on Undertaker before it's a throat slash"?

I get what you're saying though. It wasn't a dramatic made for TV moment that would precede a pile driver but it was a throat slash nonetheless.
  6. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,969 Messages
    946 Likes Received
    /thread
  7. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,019 Messages
    264 Likes Received
    That's the gesture I saw too.
  8. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,858 Messages
    1,003 Likes Received
    No it doesn't mean the same. Atleast not to me. One is a gesture that means "Its over....". The "throat slash" when I grew up meant someone was about to murder you lol. Whether on the basketball court or football field or even literally kill you lol. Big difference to me.

It looked nothing like a throat slash though lol.....I've actually seen Dez do it before. It probably shocked him he got the flag for it since he's done it before.
  9. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I don't think they banned the throat slash because they were worried about homicides becoming a part of TD celebrations.

I'm kind of curious how that motion would take on the meaning of "its over"?

I know people do it to mean that, but I wonder why anyone would ever begin to associate "its over" with that motion.

10. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

4,066 Messages
    726 Likes Received
    Thanks, didn't know that.
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,624 Messages
    1,388 Likes Received
    The "throat slash" gesture has been banned for more than a decade. It was dumb of Bryant to use some form of it at all and hopefully he realizes it now.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ball-fight-increasingly-popular-taunt-warrant

Nfl Bans Throat-slash Gesture

Woodson Charged In Snowball Fight

November 24, 1999|By Mark Shapiro.

The NFL cracked down on the throat-slash gesture Tuesday, threatening fines and penalties for an increasingly popular taunt that the league said depicted "an unacceptable act of violence."

A letter was sent to all 31 teams banning the gesture, in which a player draws his finger across his throat after a big play. It is aimed at opponents and sometimes opposing fans.
  12. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,713 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I never stated anyone did support it. It's just a stupid rule.

But, agree. He knows the rule is the rule. Needs to be wiser than that.
  13. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Man, that's a while back.
  14. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,969 Messages
    946 Likes Received
    LOL - You got it, the entomology of the gesture is a coupe de gras - based "kill it" which implies that it's over. The throat slitting animal slaughter re-enactment. We use it at the track (where you can't hear anything) all the time as an engine shut off gesture. But its origin is obviously kill based.
  15. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,494 Messages
    198 Likes Received
    Thats what it is was.