1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

BTB:Can Dallas Cowboys Trade Up At A Discount This Year?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 11, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/3/11/2862021/dallas-cowboys-to-trade-up-in-nfl-draft
    by One.Cool.Customer on Mar 11, 2012 4:00 PM CDT in Dallas Cowboys 2012 Draft

Hot on the heels of the news that the Redskins traded away their future to acquire the second pick of the 2012 NFL draft comes speculation that there may be even more trades in the works this year. Dan Pompei of the National Football Post writes today that there may be a whole bunch of teams looking to trade down in this year's draft:

From the early returns, it appears that the concept of trading down is going to be in vogue this year. A number of front office men have expressed a desire to do so. Now that the Browns won't be moving up for Robert Griffin, they are a candidate to move down with the fourth pick. The Rams could even move down again from the sixth spot. And a number of teams that pick after the Rams have been sending out trade feelers to move down. Given the strengths and weaknesses of the draft, teams are thinking they rather would have multiple second, third and fourth round picks than one first rounder.

Personally, I like the idea the Cowboys of trading down, for the very reasons Pompei outlines above. It may be a little far-fetched, but if a guy like Trent Richardson would fall to #14, perhaps the Cowboys might be able to entertain some trade offers. They were open to trading out of the #9 spot last year, but didn't get any offers. Unfortunately, the same could easily happen again this year. Of course, there's nothing whatsoever wrong with staying put and taking the best player available, whoever that may turn out to be.
  2. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,465 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    I think Dallas sits and awaits what falls to 14 but then considers a trade down to 18-20 and targets OGs, pass rushers and Janoris Jenkins at that point. You could even end up with a Safety at that point so the options get quite large.
  3. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Well if the Cowboys have a clear target and want to move up, I don't see a problem with it especially if the move comes at a discount.

Seems most just want to move down, but I have no problem with moving up for a player who the organization fells can have an immediate impact at a premium and needed position.

As for the safety issue, guess I have said it before, but I just don't know why we continue to ignore it. The free agent class of safeties is paper thin again, and really the draft is the best place to find one (although paper thin also) cause you can find some later in the draft (2nd-4th round) that can perform and probably start for this team. Its not a position where you have to use a first rounder, but a mid-round pick should be on our radar big time.
  4. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    If we are going to trade up the only two players that make sense as targets for us are:

Quinton Coples - need a pass rusher to complement Ware and he is a bit like Mario Williams in that he could play 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE or 3-4 DE. If he fell to around #9 or 10 I wouldn't mind trading up for a shot at him at a reasonable price.

Morris Claiborne - an elite cover corner could be worth trading up for if he falls to around #7 or 8.

Outside of these two players I don't see anyone worth trading up for and would be more inclined to trade down if there is not good value for us at #14. I think the best part of this draft is from around player #20 to 60 and would like to see us try and get 4 players in this range by trading down in the first and up from the 3rd.
  5. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    No reason to move up in this draft at all. After the top 6-7 guys, everyone else is about equally ranked. The rankings seem to be all over the place in the top 20.

I would like to see them trade down and pick up and extra 2nd or 3rd, rather than trading up. They could trade down about 4 or 5 spots and still get Janoris Jenkins, one of the OLB's (Upshaw, Mercilus, Perry), or maybe even Cordy Glenn.

Its quite possible that the guy they select at #14, would still be available in the 17-20 range.

I dont see anyone worth trading up for in this draft.
  6. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Perry and Upshaw will probably have to play DE in the NFL as they both are quite stiff.

The best OLB prospects are probably Mercilus, Shea McClellin and Bruce Irvin. A dark horse candidate for me is Jake Bequette who had outstanding agility numbers and explosion numbers at the Combine (SS 4.07, 3-cone 6.90, vertical 34.5, broad 9-4).

We'll probably have a shot at Mercilus in the first, we may have to trade into the top of the second for a shot at McClellin, Irvin should be there when we draft in the second, Bequette may be on the board when we draft in the 3rd but gone by the 4th.
  7. Deep_Freeze

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Bequette has upside to me cause not only could he be taught to play OLB, he could also play DE with about 15 pounds or so.......I would do cartwheels to the stage if he is there in the 4th round.

As for Shea and Irvin, thats more dependent on Spencer's status and if we get Mario feeling comfortable with Mario at DE, as both of them are really only OLBs. I like Mercilus, probably a reach at 14 though, and if we picked him it would probably mean we lost or got rid of Spencer.
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,393 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    I dont think it is far feched at all. Could easily see it happening.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,465 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    The problem is Dallas needs a lot more than one player. We have like 5 starting holes. Gaping holes.

Even at a discount moving up is very costly. 14 to 8 costs us our 2nd at bare minimum.

I do agree Claiborne would be my top target in a move up scenario.
  10. Deep_Freeze

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Yeah we do have those gaping holes, I would just rather get true impact players at like 2-3 of them than 5 average players.

BTW, I do figure we have more than 5 holes......I know something I'm not happy about either.
  11. Tex

Tex Active Member

558 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Jerry and his trade down scare the life out of me. Sure trade down 4 places in the first but only if you have a half dozen guys on the board you are frothing for not just willing to settle for.

I dont want to move 4 spots down praying the guy we want will still be there. Or that there will be two "good" but not GREAT OL still there etc... That works in the 3'rd round not the first round. I think there looks to be a lot of possibly good players availaable in the first. A handful with potential to be very very good. But only a handful that are really already being predicted to be great for the next decade. I dont want to pass on one of those guys and we may be in that position it looks like.

Tex
  12. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    If Richardson falls, I hope Jerry has a plan to move Murray for a low first rounder or high second rounder.

I'm not a fan of drafting RBs high but when a guy like that falls you have to take him because he is a difference maker and could handle the ball 25 times a game.
  13. Deep_Freeze

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    It would be hard to not pick Trent, as good as Murray is out the backfield as a receiver, we could keep both. Course I think he meant it could be a trade down opportunity with someone wanting to move up to get Trent.

Only problem I have with it is with 2 great backs like that, a team is usually built on defense and OL.......we aren't built like that.

We would really have to do well in free agency and the draft to draft Trent, even though he would probably be BPA at that point as I don't think Murray would have huge trade value.
  14. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,288 Messages
    2,709 Likes Received
    The only way I want Dallas to trade up is if it's for Morris Claiborne.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I don't think Dallas can afford to move back as far as they likely would in order to let someone else pick Richardson. Unless we're thinking it's a dog fight between the Jets and Bengals, the other teams following aren't really in need and those who might be are like 10 picks backs.

Not sure I would go with a RB unless a big pick came for someone else currently at that position and not sure there's a player at that position that would get such a pick.

Murray coming off injury probably can't pull a 1st. Felix isn't pulling a 1st.

Furthermore, I don't know why Dallas is the lynchpin to a trade up for Richardson.

Of the teams immediately before and immediately after Dallas, only the Jets strike me as a team that would take a RB.

Arizona isn't going to . They have Bean Dip and the kid they drafted in the 2nd last year who was hurt all year.

Seattle isn't going to. They just signed Lynch.

Philly isn't going to. They already have a top 3 (best, IMO) back in the league.

Jets: Yes, they could. I would say they probably would.

Cincinnati: Yes, they could. Especially with 2 1st rounders.

Chargers: Probably not. Ryan Matthews is a good back and they have fantasy leech Ricky Williams v2.0 in Tolbert.

Bears: Nope.

Titans: Nope.

You really get down into the low 20s before theres a team who looks like they might want to come up.

Cincy obviously has the inside track with 2 firsts because they can move up and then move back with the other and regain any lost picks. I can't imagine a single team not calling them and giving them one last crack if a team like the Jets offered a trade. You'd have to be stupid not to.

I don't like a trade at all unless DeCastro is gone. Let other teams play around.